Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by randygk View Post
Well, I am going to contact Reese on Monday and won't be shocked to find one part of a company is not in sync with another part. I'll post what I find out. It still does not make any sense not to lube a rotating part. I saw a post on Good Sam RV.net that someone said they can see their trailer tracking further to one side or the other in the mirrors using a Reese Sidewinder. What the hey, hope they have it looked at.
We are leaving Tuesday for our first trip with the new trailer at a local rv park (60 miles) for two days. I will certainly be keeping an eye on the pin box.
I have talked to Cequent today, I was told that there is really nothing to do, the bearing he said was self lubricating and impregnated with lubricant. He said that it is like a plastic or teflon bearing not the type he said you are probably thinking of. Then he asked if I was at the FROG rally and I said yes. Then he said they had a problem with Lippert sand blasting the unit and getting sand in there at one time and there sales people have pleated with them not to do that. He said if you hear grinding then drop the pin box and inspect. He said to put it back together you might need to put a very light mist of dry grease. Other then that no maintenance is needed except at the plate itself, which will collect dirt and needs to be cleaned and then resprayed with a dry lube.Also stated that he recommends a yearly inspection....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #32

Thanks Glen. Too bad OC isn't attending we could take apart and clean some hitches for fun at Goshen. I need to add a socket for the castle nut to my kit, I have the torque wrench already.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Thanks Glen. Too bad OC isn't attending we could take apart and clean some hitches for fun at Goshen. I need to add a socket for the castle nut to my kit, I have the torque wrench already.
2-1/4" sockets are a little pricey and are usually for a 3/4" drive. I made mine rather than spend the time going to a parts store.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #34

I to talked to Cequent this morning and he even mentioned Glen. Lubing is good, cleaning is mandatory. Most likely the sand thing happened. Since my trailer was made end of April, Cequent may still be having issues with others installing the pin boxes.
The socket is 2 1/4 " dia. and I bought one last year for my large military truck from Amazon at a pretty good price.
randygk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #35

Quote:
I have a socket 2 1/4" for my torque wrench that I keep with me all the time,
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #36

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately mine is a 10K revolution and it doesn't have a bearing, just a bushing. Does anyone know if that also should not need lubed?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have a socket 2 1/4" for my torque wrench that I keep with me all the time,
But you don't need to be pulling on the torque wrench or anything else.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #38

Glen is your socket 1/2 drive? Or do you have a 1 inch drive and adapter? I was alsways told that you can not effectively use a an adapter between drive sizes and a torque wrench. That being said in this case as long as it close to spec +/- 10 ft lbs it close enough.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
2-1/4" sockets are a little pricey and are usually for a 3/4" drive. I made mine rather than spend the time going to a parts store.
This place is pretty cheap, even being Canadian that price is a steal. $18.99

2-1/4 x 1 in. dr Shallow Socket | Princess Auto
Old 06-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #40

Quote:
This place is pretty cheap, even being Canadian that price is a steal. $18.99

2-1/4 x 1 in. dr Shallow Socket | Princess Auto
I think mine is 3/4" drive deep well socket,( I think 4") could be 1/2" drive got it at Napa. It works on mine when I checked the torque without an adapter. It's a calibrated wrench, It was not cheap at all. I don't think a shallow socket will work that's a pretty long threaded bolt that castle nuts on. I would have to look to be sure.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k