Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Question Renting out my trailer

Are there any pitfalls or unknown specific info about renting out my 5th wheel as a primary residence to a friend.
duaaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #2

hopefully he's a real close friend. i see what people do to rentals.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaaugustine View Post
Are there any pitfalls or unknown specific info about renting out my 5th wheel as a primary residence to a friend.
Hmmmm...may not be a friend for long!

I know that I wouldn't be interested in doing that.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
camping

whatever can go wrong will.... I personally would not do it, if something breaks and as we all know something will break, who is responsible, also consider wear and tear. you might also have liability as a landlord (if you do proceed I would get advice from my insurance agent, etc). I just think it is a bad idea in general, but if your friend has no other options you need to do what is best.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #5

I would be leery letting him use it for a week or so, but to use it as a primary residence??? That is asking for trouble. He may not intentionally do anything to it, but just the wear and tear of using it all the time will shorten its life. DO what you want but I would not do this. JMHO.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

my best and only friend on the planet is coming to disney next month and I won't let him use mine. Nobody is going to take care of your things like you would.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

You would be better served to sell it to him.
Then buy it back if all was ok. Your insurance would be invalid if you used your rig for commercial purposes (like a rental).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #8

Think long and hard before you do it. I would not loan my trailer to anyone for a weekend, let alone let someone live in it.

2006 Rockwood 8318SS
Hemlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #9

I personally would not. We have lived in our camper this past few months, while helping our kid build a house, we have found that it was really hard on the 5vr.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #10

Nope.........................

If you like this friend, and want to keep the relationship that way, don't do it.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #11

i have rented houses for years and i've had some good tennants. what ur going to find is that the wear and tare is greater from a tennant than if u lived in it.
once they become a tennant, there are different rules: it's their house, u can not go in without their permission. law ususlly requires u to give them 30 days notice to evict. there are minor exceptions like taring up the place or failour to pay rent but u still have to go thru a process. if they don't leave on ur notice, u have to go to court to get a formal eviction.
If they up and leave without giving u the keys or telling they are leaving, u have to go thru an eviction to gain access to it. if u don't and they left anything in there, they can accuse u of theift...they can claim that even if there wasn't anything in there.
you will need a different type of insurance and i would put the liability with that policy. u can put a rider on ur homeowners for liability but it is best to keep them seperate. the cost of the insurance is usually cheaper. all u can insure is wind and fire (if it were a nice house, u can get a landloard policy which perils, liability and loss of rent. they won't write this unless the house is worth over a certain dollar amt). the contents (their contents) falls under their renters policy.
here, if a tennant gives u a hot check, the DA won't touch it. you are not treated the same as other businesses.

notices between u and them has to be in wrighting. you need a rental agreement that states the terms, who is responsible for what, and ur wright to inspect (u still can't go in without first obtaining their permission though). take pictures before they take it and make them sign off on the condition of everything.

in short, on a travel trailer that i may want access to, i wouldn't do it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel