Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Rockwood 2602 vs Rockwood 2605

We are looking to purchasing our first travel trailer and we are comparing Rockwood 2602 & 2605. The 2602 is a rear bedroom design vs a front bedroom design in the 2605. Is there an advantage regarding weight distribution or tongue weight with one or the other?

Would appreciate any feedback from forum members.

Thanks

Dave & Monica
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
We are looking to purchasing our first travel trailer and we are comparing Rockwood 2602 & 2605. The 2602 is a rear bedroom design vs a front bedroom design in the 2605. Is there an advantage regarding weight distribution or tongue weight with one or the other?

Would appreciate any feedback from forum members.

Thanks

Dave & Monica

Hi Dave & Monica,
Welcome to the forums.

The 2602 has only 148 lbs. more tongue weight over the 2605. I don't think you'll have a problem with one model over the other. The dry weight of the two are very close to the same.
IMO, Personally, I'd go with the 2605 because it has a larger wardrobe and more counter space.
Kim has the Flagstaff version of the 2605. Maybe he'll be by later to give his views on this.

BTW, what will you be towing this with?

Hope you enjoy the forums,
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We'll be towing with a 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab 2X4 with 5.7L

On the 2602 the pass through storage is in the rear vs the front on the 2605,
kitchen's in the rear on the 2605 - how does this play into the trailer weight distribution and the tongue weight.

We are finding the forum to be filled with a lot of information - very helpful and decided to join so that we could ask specific questions.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #4

As Mike said we have the Flagstaff version of the 2605, which is the 26RKS. We bought it based on the floorplan and could we tow it with our current tow vehicle, which we could. Some of the selling points were the greater counter space for the kitchen and we just liked the layout and the small slide gave us enough room to move around without stepping on each other.

One thing to consider on the 2605 is that the fresh water tank is in the front. I have not yet taken it anywhere with a load of water as we usually go to full hookup campgrounds. The additional water weight would be a factor in the tongue weight.

I do not have a great deal of heavy items in the front pass-through storage. We have the drawer assembly in it which is a mixed blessing but most of the heavier items are in separate boxes in the tow vehicle.

As for towing, it is very easy with the Suburban we have and is well under the maximum for that vehicle.

Hope this helps some.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the input. We do like the layout of th 2605 and with the pass-thru and underbed storage in the front, should be able to get the tongue weight up to that 12 to 15% range favoured. We may have to tow with the water tank full when picking up the trailer from the dealer and towing it home empty.
Still need to settle on a dealer (RV Wholesaler or RV Direct) and finalize the options. Would appreciate any feedback on the "must haves". We're finding it very confusing in getting answers regarding decor colors available. May end up ordering a Flagstaff 26RKS for better decor choices.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #6

The only differences between the Rockwood and Flagstaff is the fabric colors available and exterior graphics.

The options available now are likely different from when we bought ours in 2004. We basically got most everything available at the time. We did not order a slide topper. We have the white interior with stainless appliances. That was an option we ordered after we saw one. There are a few pictures of ours in the photo album section.

We have the day/night shades. I'm not sure I would order them again. They seem ok but so do regular blinds and regular blinds are easier to open/close. We have the drawer assembly in the pass through storage. Again a mixed blessing. You lose some storage space with the assembly itself. It is nice to get to stuff in the middle by pulling it to you.

Also, the 2605/26RKS has a separate galley holding tank in addition to the regular gray tank. They do not mention that in literature for some reason but it is there. Gives you an extra 25 gal of gray water storage.

List any options you have questions about and I will give you my opinion on them. That doesn't mean it is right, just my opinion as to whether an option is worth it or not.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote