Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #1

Question Rockwood 8281 SS Fifth Wheel

Hello , does anyone own the 2010 Rockwood 8281 SS fifth wheel, and what do you think of it? We just ordered one. We have been looking a long time for this type of floor plan that we can pull with our 1/2 ton pickup.
desmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #2

Congrats!! I've walked through that model, it's very nice. We just got our 8265s two months ago and love it. Those people at Rockwood do a great job putting those things together. The workmanship and details are #1. I pull our rockwood with a Nissan Titan 1/2 ton and it does a great job. Our 5er has a 977lb. dry hitch weight, but after loading all our supplies plus the weight of the hitch in the bed I'm probably very close to my weight limit in my truck bed. I had to install a set of Firestone airbags to I have a level ride. With the 8281, the dry hitch weight is 1285lbs. Add propane, a hitch in the bed of your truck and all your supplies, You might be exceeding your weight limits. I'm concerned with my truck and I have the lighter trailer. I don't mean to alarm you but you might want to check into that.
skylarcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

We have a 2010 Rockwood 8280WS that we tow with a 2005 Ram 1500. We're really happy with the camper...we think that the workmanship is much better than our previous Rockwood.

I weighed the camper on the way home from Elkhart and the pin weight empty was 1100 lbs (advertised dry pin weight is 1077 lbs). We also weighed it ready to camp and the pin weight is 1240 lbs which put me just under the rear axle weight rating for the truck. I also have air bags which are set at 30 psi. Our layout is a rear kitchen and therefore you add a lot of weight at the rear of the camper. The pin weight is 15% of the total weight unloaded and is also 15% loaded. I believe that with your layout, you'll be increasing the pin weight more than we did.

Bottom line, go weigh your truck with a full fuel load, passengers and gear as you would when camping getting both front and rear axle weights. That will tell you the amount of weight you have available for the hitch (about 200 lbs) and the camper pin weight.

BTW, we just returned from a camping trip in the mountains in West Virginia and the combo towed just fine.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #4

I am assuming this is the one with the 1/2 rear bathroom? We have one, purchased in March, haven't taken it out on an actual trip yet but counting the days!

I did pull it close to 500 miles home...I have a 2009 Ram 2500 with the Cummins, and I thought truck did ok for a trailer that is close to 8000lbs and that's empty... I encountered a few steep hills on the way back and I could cruise up the hills at 55, but I wouldnt want to push it any harder.

I previously had a Ram 1500 with the Hemi and a 21' TT that was around 4200lbs with our gear, I definitely wasn't happy with that combo as I thought that truck could do better, it had the towing package, maybe the rear end wasn't right who knows. After a trip to the mountains and into the wind most the way, averaging 8mpg, I decided I needed something with more pulling power for long distances.

Not to scare you...but while a 1/2 may move the 8281 a few miles to the lake...not sure I would want to pull it for long distances...even with the Cummins you know it's back there.
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #5

Super nice, Rockwood really stepped to the plate this year, some of the best looking rv's built!!
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #6

I have a 2003 8281 SS and its still kicking. I do like the new floor plan though
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsquarepants View Post
...even with the Cummins you know it's back there.
That's because you didn't buy a Duramax,...really sorry, but couldn't resist . Note, I do respect the Cummins...

But seriously, I own a 2007MY 8281SS. This is our second season so far and we love it. We did have quite a few issues that needed to be taken care of the first season, but I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that it sat on the dealers lot untouched for 2 years. As far as the weight, I would think that a 1/2 ton pickup might be pushing the envelope a bit. Best to get everything weighed to know for sure. I have ran into a few others towing similar models with a 1/2 truck and seem to do fine, though, all have admitted doubts about traveling long distances and over mountaineous regions. They were concerned about shortening the life of their TVs.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Am I over-loaded

I wanted to know for SURE in case there ever was an accident and did not want the fickle finger of blame to point my way (unless it WAS my fault).

Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator

Is an awesome calculator that takes everything into consideration.
To use it you MUST way your tow vehicle unconnected first. Then hook up and weight the rig together.

Use the numbers from your tow vehicle's maximums and the actual weights recorded.

To find the maximum pin weight just subtract the actual tow vehicle weight (full of fuel and with all travelers on board) from the gross vehicle weight of your truck as configured.

I was shocked that my 15,400 pound 5th wheel tow rated truck maxed out at 9,300 pounds towable with no safety factor.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S.P. View Post
That's because you didn't buy a Duramax
sorry...couldn't hear you over my factory engine brake
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsquarepants

sorry...couldn't hear you over my factory engine brake
I have a 2005 Duramax/Allison and it has engine breaking standard, at least when it's in tow/haul mode. Nothing against your rig...
ehannesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #11

"I have a 2005 Duramax/Allison and it has engine breaking standard"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have heard that about those motors!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #12

We bought our 8261SS last year and love it. I have a 2007 F250 diesel that I tow with and have absolutely no problems at all. Great floor plan particularly with 2 young boys and 2 dogs.
cowpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpaddy
We bought our 8261SS last year and love it. I have a 2007 F250 diesel that I tow with and have absolutely no problems at all. Great floor plan particularly with 2 young boys and 2 dogs.
Sorry thick thumbs, should be 8281SS
cowpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel