Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #1

Roof vents

This may make you laugh but we just purchased a 2017 sierra 378fb. We love it. But for the life of us we can't figure out how to open and close the roof vents(exhaust fans). Is there a tool to reach up to them? Seems a little strange to have to climb up on a ladder in the bathroom each time we need the exhaust fan.[emoji4]
RonandMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandMarion View Post
This may make you laugh but we just purchased a 2017 sierra 378fb. We love it. But for the life of us we can't figure out how to open and close the roof vents(exhaust fans). Is there a tool to reach up to them? Seems a little strange to have to climb up on a ladder in the bathroom each time we need the exhaust fan.[emoji4]
Our roof vents have a dial like a flattened water faucet that we turn to open. Hope that helps
Webfoot0807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #3

my wife struggle with this for a while, too... they do make a stick device with a 'grabber' end that allows you to turn the knob, but the easiest solution is to add a roof vent topper that allows you to keep the vent open all the time : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Thanks!!! Our ceilings are too high to just turn the knob. Will look into the topper.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandMarion View Post
This may make you laugh but we just purchased a 2017 sierra 378fb.But for the life of us we can't figure out how to open and close the roof vents(exhaust fans). Is there a tool to reach up to them? Seems a little strange to have to climb up on a ladder in the bathroom each time we need the exhaust fan.[emoji4]
we have a switch for the living room fan with picks up the lid and starts the fan.
in our bathroom it is reachable for me and i guess DW does need a step up. just a note that there was a moment when the bathroom fan didn't work but it required that we have the bathroom light on to power the exhaust fan. FYI
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Google 'vent stick' if yours has a crank knob.
If you​ have a crank handle, I made mine from a piece of PVC pipe about 18” long that I cut a slot in. Works perfect and cost nothing as I found a scrap piece in the garage. Ask your local plumber or stop at a construction site... always lots of scrap. Or buy a piece for about $2.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Google 'vent stick' if yours has a crank knob.
If you​ have a crank handle, I made mine from a piece of PVC pipe about 18” long that I cut a slot in. Works perfect and cost nothing as I found a scrap piece in the garage. Ask your local plumber or stop at a construction site... always lots of scrap. Or buy a piece for about $2.
Oooh another great little project for the hubby! Thanks!

Tags
roo, roof, vent