Old 05-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #1

Rotten wood

The service tech at the RV service place I got to found that the wood where one of my awning mounts was completely rotten. He was able to move to awning mount up 1-2 inches and fix the mount. I currently have a 2012 grey wolf 28bhks. I own the trailer completely. That was the only thing wrong with the trailer. There are no leaks anywhere in the roof. The slide out still works perfectly, all the appliances, heater, ac work as they should. My question is, since there was piece of rotten wood on the outside of the trailer, should I start shopping for a newer used, or brand new travel trailer? Or should I just keep this one?

Alucke

Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #2

rotten wood

If you have rotten wood on the outside of your vehicle, my first question would be why it's there to start with.

We've put on a lot of awnings.. never had to add a board outside.
The awning arms attach to the frame INside the wall, and usually to a
strip near the top of the wall.

Screws used for this do penetrate the outer wall and could allow water to
get behind what you see on the outside of the wall.. leading to rotted wood INSIDE the wall. Butyl tape, your favorite goopy stuff in a tube (we use Proflex or Dicor) is a must to stop that.

If the frame in the wall is rotted... it can be repaired. Think about removing the outer skin and all that. Check the inside for evidence of water getting under the wallpaper/paneling, all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucke View Post
The service tech at the RV service place I got to found that the wood where one of my awning mounts was completely rotten. He was able to move to awning mount up 1-2 inches and fix the mount. I currently have a 2012 grey wolf 28bhks. I own the trailer completely. That was the only thing wrong with the trailer. There are no leaks anywhere in the roof. The slide out still works perfectly, all the appliances, heater, ac work as they should. My question is, since there was piece of rotten wood on the outside of the trailer, should I start shopping for a newer used, or brand new travel trailer? Or should I just keep this one?

Alucke
Parts Guy is offline   Reply With Quote