Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Running the microwave and AC at the same time.

Found out this weekend that the AC and the microwave are in the same curcuit. AC runs swell all weekend but when I tried to heat up a little b'fast this am......... Click. Both go off, nothing else did. I find that strange to say the least.
Whatdidigetmyselfinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

IMHO it is very strange as they typically are on different circuits. The A/C should be on it's own circuit. Were you on a land line or running off the generator?
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
IMHO it is very strange as they typically are on different circuits. The A/C should be on it's own circuit. Were you on a land line or running off the generator?

As this is our first seasonal season we are on land line or shore power, whatever you wanna call it.

Not a huge deal, but thought I'd throw this out and see what all the smarter than me folks thought.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If you have a 30 amp hook up on your RV and the A/C uses 11-13amps, micro uses 10 amps, and maybe a coffee maker, or water heater, and a converter, and then your A/C compressor restarts. Now you could be drawing30-40+ amps with a 30 amp breaker box. You are out of power and breakers pop.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

Yeah bet you were right on the "Edge" Were you using a power manager (See Progressive power management system as an example)

30A Systems are usually on the edge--that is why a lot of the larger systems are 50A - usually no problems there
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdidigetmyselfinto View Post
Found out this weekend that the AC and the microwave are in the same curcuit. AC runs swell all weekend but when I tried to heat up a little b'fast this am......... Click. Both go off, nothing else did. I find that strange to say the least.
Assuming you have a 30 amp RV (3 prong cord)

When you say "nothing else did", what are the other elses?

The reason I am phrasing the question like that, is even if you tripped the MAIN 120 volt AC breaker, the 12 volt DC things will continue to run, but now just off of the battery......which may give the illusion that just the microwave and air-conditioner went off....when in actuality you lost ALL 120 volt power.

If the television or anything plugged into the 120 volt electrical outlets continued to run, then your statement is totally accurate.

However, if the lights, fans, fridge on automatic setting, propane detectors, etc are the other things......then these are all 12 volt DC, and stayed on due to your battery.

Usually the air-conditioner and microwave on are different branch circuits inside the RV, but both contribute to the MAIN breaker (30 amps capacity), either inside the RV or outside on the shore power.

Which specific breaker actually tripped?

More good reading below:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

EDIT: One more common thing is a lot of people like to run their water heaters electric heating element, instead of using propane. When the element is heating, it draws 12 amps, out of the 30 total amps available....and also contribute to tripping the main breaker if the microwave or air-conditioner are on at the same time to push the total amps used over 30. A lot of people forget that they have the electric element on.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Assuming you have a 30 amp RV (3 prong cord)

When you say "nothing else did", what are the other elses?

The reason I am phrasing the question like that, is even if you tripped the MAIN 120 volt AC breaker, the 12 volt DC things will continue to run, but now just off of the battery......which may give the illusion that just the microwave and air-conditioner went off....when in actuality you lost ALL 120 volt power.

If the television or anything plugged into the 120 volt electrical outlets continued to run, then your statement is totally accurate.

However, if the lights, fans, fridge on automatic setting, propane detectors, etc are the other things......then these are all 12 volt DC, and stayed on due to your battery.

Usually the air-conditioner and microwave on are different branch circuits inside the RV, but both contribute to the MAIN breaker (30 amps), either inside the RV or outside on the shore power.

Which specific breaker actually tripped?

Yeah nothing else went off, tv, lights, everything already on styled on. I will look and see what breaker actually tripped. I'll fill you next week.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdidigetmyselfinto View Post
Yeah nothing else went off, tv, lights, everything already on styled on. I will look and see what breaker actually tripped. I'll fill you next week.

Ok Thanks. As said the lights operate off of 12 volt DC and would stay on if you lost ALL 120 volt power. The television, however wouldn't, unless you have a 12 volt kind.

The radio is 12 volt, and it also would stay on, without 120 volt power.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #9

Highly recommend a surge guard or similar power monitor so as to see exactly what's happening on each side of your 50 amp breakers when you load em up (30 or 50 amp)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dtomstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Yeah bet you were right on the "Edge" Were you using a power manager (See Progressive power management system as an example)

30A Systems are usually on the edge--that is why a lot of the larger systems are 50A - usually no problems there
Just bear in mind 50 amp systems allow 100 amps of service to the OP because of two runs of 50amps each in cord.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #11

Used to happen to me also with a 30amp TT. I just got into the habit of turning off the AC whenever I started the microwave. I can't remember which breaker tripped, I just figured I would make sure it never happened again...and it didn't as long as the AC was temporarily switched off.
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #12

We have a Shasta Oasis 26RL and have run the AC and microwave at the same time and the only time I have had the breaker go was when it was parked in our driveway while getting ready for a trip. I had it plugged into an outside outlet on the garage. My wife wanted to warm up her coffee and as soon as the microwave started the breaker went but not in the TT it was the garage breaker. We have not encountered that while travelling.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote