Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

RV Parks - Where's the appeal?

I'm in the process of upgrading my F150 to a F250 (maybe F350) this year. I'm going to also upgrade my popup to a 30ft travel trailer next year. With the popup, our family enjoys going to state parks and having spots that are a bit more private. We appreciate having a bit of shrubbery between us and the next campsite. We're not antisocial just like a little space between us and the neighbors. I've noticed a lot of TTs inside parking lot style RV parks. It seems there is no privacy in that kind of setting. So what's the appeal? Can you actually spend a pleasant vacation in an RV park?

Maybe that last question is a bit forward but I'm really curious why people don't seem to mind the parking lot style camping. Are they better than the state parks? why? What's your choice?

Thanks!
vcarbona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #2

Hi,
Im not into the parking lot style parks either but I think its a little hit and miss if you are going somewhere new no matter what. Unless you know someone who has been there or can get very reliable pics online then its a crap shoot as to what the place looks like. I've said before, the campground maps online often look so spacious with some separation between the sites but when you get there its a different picture. Off course everyone wants some privacy and separation. That being said, our 'local' KOA, where we have a spring and fall seasonal site, has the best wooded separation between sites that we have ever had and we have camped coast to coast. I think if you look around and off course talk to other campers you will find valuable info on other campgrounds and maybe find the kind of sites you like. We've been to campgrounds also where we have been lined up like a parking lot. We wont be going back.Not my idea of a good site and when my slides almost touch the next persons chair it's a no no. The good ones are out there. just a matter of finding them. good luck!
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #3

I like to go camping, others like to go RVing
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
NELA

RV "Park" is a broad brush.

Example: the park I recommended in PF is not a "parking lot". It does have trees and shrubs between the spaces.

Now, there *are* absolute "parks" on Wears Valley Road....it looks like an RV Rally in a parking lot, with barely enough room for sliders and awnings without touching.

No thanks.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
I like to go camping, others like to go RVing
True
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Site Team

Depends how you use your are. If you campground is your destination it needs to meet your needs for entertainment, activities, amenities, etc. But if your RV is your motel room as you travel, then a stopover campground is all you need. Elec, water and sewer. However, state parks are usually cheaper with larger lots. I have need for both at different times.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Site Team

I haven't stayed in a place like you describe. With that said, I do like trees, brushes & grass too but I will opt for level paved sites instead.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

I have said that if you go to a private campground you don't need to take tent pegs cause you can use your neighbors. I guess people like all the amenities the parking lot "parks" offer, video arcades, concessions, Laundromats, etc. Sometimes we have had to use these places as a last resort (no pun intended) and couldn't wait to leave. The closer the sites the more the profit. State and provincial parks aren't under that directive. (so far)
Old 09-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #9

I much prefer state parks, but I usually end up in RV parks because either location or I didn't plan ahead and state parks were already booked. Also, like dcheatwood said, sometimes it's just a motel room for the night so the setting matters less.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Check out www.cajunpalms.com to see what a resort looks like. You can entertain kids there for a week but it'll hurt the pocketbook. Lol.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #11

My wife and I are full timers, and we love our space. Not too cool if your neighbors are sitting at their picnic table right under your bedroom slide out.
Having said that, sometimes you just have to have a trade off. A few weeks ago we spent some time at the Michigan Speedway infield - the closest parking lot of RVs we've ever been in. However when the first pack of cars rounded turn three heading to turn four and the front stretch I looked at the huge smile on my wife's face. Cramped quarters totally worth it. Afterwards - back to space.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel
2012 Cedar Creek 30RL
Full Timers Since October 2012
RenoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #12

To each his/her own, but....Parked in a NASCAR speedway infield???!....ugghhh.... If you're not going to surround yourself with natural beauty, then what's the point?
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #13

It's all about the variety. The spice of life!
Yellowstone, dry camping in the middle of nowhere, at a mountain stream, the painted desert, the rolling hills of Tennessee. Alone or gathering with friends (new or old) and family. All places to explore and experience.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel
2012 Cedar Creek 30RL
Full Timers Since October 2012
RenoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #14

My family and I usually camp with a group of 6 to 8 other families that we have been friends with for 30 years give or take. We like to be close to each other so the resort camping works great for us. We are able to keep an eye on each others stuff, have a common fire pit, and a large buffet breakfast between us.
The kids can ride the bikes to the pool or the ice cream shop, meet new friends or we can play mini golf ect..
The decision to camp in the desert or in the mountains does not apply to people in the northeast so we work with what we have. We consider the times we spend with family and life long friends precious no mater where we camp or park the trailer.
Some people might like to be by themselves but we can do that in the living room of our house.
To each his own.
Happy camping!
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #15

We do like both as it depends on what is available ..... at the beach, they try to use the space they have to make the best $ with their expensive property...... & storms took out a lot of the trees. So not much choice......

We stopped using Virginia State Parks as they are more expensive (for us) & their spaces are smaller than the close private campground that we go to. The private campground is for a weekend $30 a night but the state park is over $40 a night. Sooooo run down dirty state park with outdated electrical & old bathouse & a dump station or a nice clean newer campground with full hookups........ Hummmmm.........

Truly we have fun no matter where we go & try not let anything bother us..... It is just nice to get away..... At home we are in the country with lots of trees, neighbors are not close by, even the bovine families across the road moved away.......... actually the land was developed into a hay field..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #16

We have a 30' TT and prefer the wooded sites to the parking in a large field. We would rather back into a site than have a pull through unless we are just stopping overnight on the way somewhere else. If we are going to a campground for the first time I will look at it on Google Earth. That will give me a pretty good idea of what the sites are like.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Check out www.cajunpalms.com to see what a resort looks like. You can entertain kids there for a week but it'll hurt the pocketbook. Lol.

Yep, they've been in my wallet once or twice! LOL
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #18

It's the camping vs. RVing vs. Glamping. We don't like to smell like a campfire so we do RV Resorts mostly. We like the idea of our condo on wheels. I guess that is why FR makes more than 1 style of RV. To each their own.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
Trefty

Honestly, the camper is just a catalyst to get your family outdoors. During the days we are fishing, kayaking etc. etc. we are very spoiled with Missouri state parks and corps. Parks, great full hook ups and 7 thousand acres to play in. Then when it's time for bed I have a hot shower and a Cardinals game on...go Cards!
Bvague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
To each his/her own, but....Parked in a NASCAR speedway infield???!....ugghhh.... If you're not going to surround yourself with natural beauty, then what's the point?
Race cars are a thing of Beauty!
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote