Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #21

Until two years ago our daughter, son and DIL went with us often and stayed in tents. We had a popup TT with two queen slide out beds and the table at that time.

Normally they stayed in their tents, but I have no doubt that if there was a heavy rain storm they would all squeeze in.

That strategy will no longer work. two grandsons have recently been added.

Our son bought a TT a month ago. Can't wait to camping with the grand-kids, age 1 and 2.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #22

It is the U.S. auto industry forty years ago.

I have said it many times that the American RV industry is very similar to the U.S. auto industry of the 1960s & 70s. I hope that one of the days there will come forth competitors who understand consumer needs, quality management and building a better product for less money. Many people criticize the outsourcing of U.S. manufacturing by shipping it overseas. Just purchase a new TT or RV and you will understand that this industry is filled with incompetent craftsman and zero quality control. Goshen Indiana is filled with management who simply do not take pride in what they do for a living.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #23

I had a Jayco 5er. Over the winter a red squirrel put black walnuts in almost all passageways. This was very helpful, I made a diagram of all the wiring and heat ducts where the nuts were. I found disconnected/cut ducts, 2 inch holes in the floor with one #14 wire (plenty of craw space) and lack of foam insulation to stop rodents. It didn't cause any damage.
Replacing the whole rear wall is not for the normal "do it your selfer". Total waste of a month at the dealer.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #24

With all the tire issues this industry is plagued with not all come with spares, and none come with the tools to change said spare. An HD bottle jack and correctly sized tire iron isn't that heavy nor expensive, yet how many are stranded because of that?

Customer service and factory support. Unless you're willing to burn a week and the cash to go to Goshen, if you can get in, you can forget it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #25
2014 XLR 27HFS

Excellent post Radio!! LOL
Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Consider the opposite. My son is a mechanical engineer. He has to get it right the first time. Once completed and activated it can not be repaired.

He designs satellites. The nearest service station for a DirectTV satellite is 22,300 miles away.

Don't you wish your RV was designed and manufactured with such care and precision? But, you would not like the price tag!

I'm also a mechanical engineer specializing in the design of systems for military aircraft. The systems I design have to survive and operate in some of the most austere environments imaginable. If my products were built with such poor quality soldiers would be less safe and I would soon be out of business.
Every time I have opened up my 5er to mod or repair something I'm amazed at what I see. For example, I've found coax that was severed behind the wall plate, wires and plumbing ran such that they were rubbing exposed screw threads, and a DC power wire pinched between the frame and subfloor. Most of the issues I have found were not design related but a result of poor quality control and the lack of common sense. Every mod I undertake seems to take more time than it should because I can't keep from chasing these rabbits....
D LBRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #27

I can't help but agree. The QC on these rigs is dreadful or just non existent. I am a civil engineer and these trailers are cheap and definitely not built for heavy duty use However if we want the best craftsmanship and quality parts and pieces our trailers would probably cost triple what we paid for them. I always say I got a house on wheels for (insert your price paid here) and comparing that to my current mortgage payment I am not complaining.

2015.5 salem 30QBSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

I don't disagree that the quality leaves a lot to be desired, BUT, if the quality was equivalent to an automobile or truck, very few of us could afford them. I do agree a good inspection & instruction system during production would cost nothing and eliminate 90% of the problems we all encounter. Also an inspection system on purchased parts would also go a long way toward eliminating some major problems. It is a shame that Forest River choses to not have written procedures for the manufacturing lines and supervisors that are knowledgeable of the entire assembly process in their own area. I guess it is just something us poor dumb civilians will have to endure.