Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

Sabre Vs Phoenix

Hi all, hubby and I have narrowed the new 5th wheel down to 2: Sabre 31IKT with rear kitchen, OR Phoenix 336RL.
They’re pretty much the same size at 36’, similar layout with King size bed in slideout.
It might come down to quality. In Phoenix’s brochure it says it has a R-11 sidewall with 2lb structural foam, with composite sidewall panel.
Sabre says foil insulation, not sure about the sidewalls, but they’re smooth. I’m having trouble finding specific info, I believe it’s because it’s a little newer with Sabre having their own line, not under Palamino (if I have that right) anymore.

Similar price, with the Phoenix a little maybe 5,000 more (haven’t made any deals yet).
Similar weight, similar bells and whistles.

Which would you choose?
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #2

Phoenix https://youtu.be/LnqBlU0plnQ
Old 03-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #3

Sabre

https://youtu.be/hrPXI137t3M
Old 03-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #4

Buy what you like not what somebody else likes
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #5

Well that’s part of the problem, as hubby likes 1, and I like the other.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #6

Teresa,

We bought a Phoenix 336RL last fall and I can only tell you what we like about it. I have looked at the Sabre online, so would not begin to tell you why one is better than the other, that is a personal discussion that only you 2 can decide. So after looking at the video tour in your link, this is what I found.

1. 336RL has a bigger basement than the 31IK. The basement doors are 29" tall and the 31 doors are alot shorter. Also the front storage door is very narrow on the 31, compared to the 336 which appears to be twice the width.

2. The holding tank pull handles are inside the DS basement in the dock on the 336 compared to them being tucked under the trailer on the 31. So that means getting down on your knees to pull the valves to drain the tanks.

3. The couch in the 336 is 78", which folds out to almost a queen sized bed, compared to the shorter couch in the 31.

4. The 336 exterior walls are Azdel, which is a rot proof composite that helps fight delamination. Bonus in my book!

5. The 336 comes with the 6 point auto leveling system and the 31 appears to only have the 4 point system.

These are all observations from looking at the Sabre website, the youtube videos and what our camper has. Again the decision is all yours and you should get what best suits your needs and budget. Not sure where you are located but I would recommend shopping around to get the best price possible on whatever unit you decide on.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #7

Thanks Jim, those are all very good points, and exactly the info I was looking for. Hubby also likes the Azdel walls. I’m trying to find more info on the Sabre’s walls.
We’re going tomorrow to see the Sabre again (different dealer this time). I told the sales guy I talked to on the phone, I needed him to have this info ready for is.

I didn’t even notice how much bigger the basement door is in the Phoenix.

The couch/sofa in the Phoenix is REALLY comfortable too...very cushy.

Would be nice if they let a person camp in each trailer for a few days before they buy...LOL

What battery system did you go with?
Old 03-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa CAL View Post
Thanks Jim, those are all very good points, and exactly the info I was looking for.
Hubby also likes the Azdel walls. He must be a very wise man! LOL

What battery system did you go with? Not sure what you mean by battery system? We only have one 12v marine/rv battery installed by the dealer.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 03-31-2019, 06:49 PM   #9

What battery system did you go with? Not sure what you mean by battery system? We only have one 12v marine/rv battery installed by the dealer.[/QUOTE]

1or 2, 12 volt, or 2-4, 6 volt.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
What battery system did you go with? Not sure what you mean by battery system? We only have one 12v marine/rv battery installed by the dealer.
1or 2, 12 volt, or 2-4, 6 volt.[/QUOTE]

Just 1 12volt battery
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 04-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #11

Update: so after all the research between the 2 different brands, we ended up buying a Chaparral 336TSIK
it’s almost the same exact trailer as the Phoenix 336RL, but lighter wood, and more upgrades, for a little better price. Can’t wait to bring it home!!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #12

Oh and the fridge is different, it’s not the residential, but it has 2 doors for the lower, and 2 freezer doors.
It runs on batteries/propane, so no inverter needed.
We went with 2, 6volt batteries.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Update: so after all the research between the 2 different brands, we ended up buying a Chaparral 336TSIK
it’s almost the same exact trailer as the Phoenix 336RL, but lighter wood, and more upgrades, for a little better price. Can’t wait to bring it home!!
Congrats on your new camper!!!

Actually both Phoenix and Chaparral trailers are made in the same factory and all options are the same for both brands, except for the color choices, but just depends on how the dealer ordered it. He order them with options they think will help sell the camper.

Just an opinion, but I would never have another camper without a residential refrigerator, RV refrigerators (gas/electric) take forever to chill and struggle to maintain the temperature when the outside temps are above 90 degrees and worse if that side of the camper is in direct sunlight. Also you will find the freezer will not keep ice cream solid, but if you like soft serve your fine. Again just my opinion and 20+ yrs of experience with RV refrigerators.

There are somethings you can do to help with make the RV fridge more efficient.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 04-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #14

Quote:

Same model we have. Love it. We do have the residential refrigerator though.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatum65 View Post

Just an opinion, but I would never have another camper without a residential refrigerator, RV refrigerators (gas/electric) take forever to chill and struggle to maintain the temperature when the outside temps are above 90 degrees and worse if that side of the camper is in direct sunlight. Also you will find the freezer will not keep ice cream solid, but if you like soft serve your fine. Again just my opinion and 20+ yrs of experience with RV refrigerators.
Just from an opposite opinion, we would never have a residential fridge. We also have had 20+ years experience with RV fridges and have had zero problems with them getting cold enough. Even with ice cream.
But we dry camp a lot and prefer the propane option.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatum65 View Post
Congrats on your new camper!!!

Actually both Phoenix and Chaparral trailers are made in the same factory and all options are the same for both brands, except for the color choices, but just depends on how the dealer ordered it. He order them with options they think will help sell the camper.

There are somethings you can do to help with make the RV fridge more efficient.
Thanks, yes we dry camp a lot, and we’re really worried about how long the batteries were going to last considering all the electrical stuff on it, then to add a big fridge too...eek. We usually run the generator for a couple of hours in the morning anyway, but this is all going to be a new learning curve for us.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just from an opposite opinion, we would never have a residential fridge. We also have had 20+ years experience with RV fridges and have had zero problems with them getting cold enough. Even with ice cream.
But we dry camp a lot and prefer the propane option.
Hopefully this new one works as well as the old one, it could freeze stuff, and keep ice cream, no problem.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Same model we have. Love it. We do have the residential refrigerator though.
What battery system did you go with? We choose 2, 6 volt.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
What battery system did you go with? We choose 2, 6 volt.

We had 2 12v to start, but couldn’t get more than 5 hours use with the residential refrigerator. Switched to 2 6v Trojans, and can stop enroute for 10 hours with no problem now. Haven’t tried longer.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
We had 2 12v to start, but couldn’t get more than 5 hours use with the residential refrigerator. Switched to 2 6v Trojans, and can stop enroute for 10 hours with no problem now. Haven’t tried longer.
That’s encouraging. I have a feeling we’ll need 4, 6 volt, but I don’t want to spend the extra $$ if we can get by with 2, and running the generator.

Tags
sabre