Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Sorry dang iPhone changes my spelling. I would put blocks under the front wheels.

the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by ke5wdq View Post
Why? Not arguing or anything, just curious.
I would add that the fridge should be as level as you can possibly get as your fridge is located on the side. While there is no compressor, the cooling is done by an evaporative process. Liquid is boiled by heat (either from an AC electric heating element or from burning propane) That gas then goes up riser tubes to the top of the freezer section and condenses into a liquid which has to run back down the tubes into the boiler reservoir.

If the camper is tilted to the side (as in your photo) and the fridge is located on the side (as in your photo) liquid can pool in the tubes effectively reducing the diameter of the tube and gas flow. This will not allow proper cooling and your fridge temp will be much higher than it would be if it was more level.

In an extreme out of level situation (about like your photo) the tubes could be blocked completely and the cooling could be effectively stopped. Worse yet, pressure can build in the boiler cracking the reservoir and causing a very expensive repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV evaporative Fridge.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	14403   Click image for larger version

Name:	yhst-17908773761865_2207_2374780.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	14404  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Question on the slope and making it level - I have a similar situation though not nearly as drastic. I can level off with the tongue jack, but when I do there is more pressure on the rear tires than front (a visible 2" difference"). It will obviously be parked at my house this way more often than when camping - is there any issue with this to the tires or suspension in leaving it this way?

The alternative is I could leave it out of level until I need to prep for a trip and then level it off, start the fridge, etc. I have a set of X-Chocks between the wheels.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
add some blocks under front tires to help .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
I sometimes park my TT on a slope like that, maybe a bit steeper even. I use heavy duty solid rubber chocks, 1 per wheel. Get the x chocks as discussed, or good solid rubber chocks. I wouldn't use the cheap hard plastic ones.

FWIW, I usually plug in the TT prior to a trip to cool down the fridge and even on a bit of a slope front to back and side to side it works OK. It's not quite as much of a tilt as yours in the photo though. Ie, get it as level as you can, but you don't need to get out your level.

I never put my stabs down at home either.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Current River Rat
Maximum tilt on the fridge is about 5 to 6 degrees and still function properly.
Bruce & Sarah Tanner
Bttravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
Be careful, I investigated a fatality that occurred at Blue Mesa's Elk Creek Campground near Gunnison, Colorado. When hooking up his trailer, it got away from the owner on a slope and ran him over crushing him.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
Your slope is about the same as mine, I screwed 4x4's together cut them to make an inverted 'v' put them between the wheels there is no way it's going anyplace without climbing over those blocks, and they can't tip because the wheel in front holds it in place.
DDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
I would shim chock the front tire until it was as high as the rear tire or a little higher. That way there would be no worry of the rolling uphill.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Mod free 5er
Back it up about 4' farther than where you want it parked and get 2-2x10's and make a level platform for both tires with a chock on the end, pull forward onto the platform until the front tire is against the chock and park it. Block up for the tongue.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote

led pad