Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #11

Thank you very much. I am new and I feel like I am getting a 4 year degree in RV'g from the forum and from folks we meet in our travels.

I have to admit that I do not understand the locking of the cable. Can't someone still pull it anyway?

I do like the advice on backing up and checking the hitch. Sometimes the obvious escapes me, but you are right, there is someone who thinks it is funny or worse.

Big Bird

Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bird View Post
Thank you very much. I am new and I feel like I am getting a 4 year degree in RV'g from the forum and from folks we meet in our travels.

I have to admit that I do not understand the locking of the cable. Can't someone still pull it anyway?

I do like the advice on backing up and checking the hitch. Sometimes the obvious escapes me, but you are right, there is someone who thinks it is funny or worse.

Big Bird
Pretty sure they are locking the latch release handle, and using it as a point to attach the cable.

Locking your cable really won't make a difference since it pulls out of the electric brake accuator anyway.

It is a good idea to lock your latch handle so no one messes around with it....

(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #13

We used to tow a Montana and I used the release latch on our 18K Reese to secure the safety cable. It pulled out once when I was in a sharp turn backing up. Never did it again. And I also used a saftypin in the lock mech of the Reese so it would not come unlatched.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #14

I do lock the latch for the pull handle on the hitch. My Truck has a step built in the tail gate. I now attach the safety brake cable to the handle. I seems to work well and I have not pulled the cable out of the socket, or whatever you call it, since.

Thanks again

Big bird

Tags
5th wheel, brakes