Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #1

Safety brake line from king pin to truck??

I just purchased my first RV, a 5th wheel Cardinal. When I picked it up the dealer was helpful, but when it came to a few things they just kind of looked at me with a blank expression. For example, they showed and explained to me the safety brake line and how important it is for stopping the trailer if it should separate from the truck. They said take care where I hook it on the truck and be sure it does not snag. I have a Reese 16K hitch and looped the line over the Reese release handle. Seemed close enough for turns and I did not see any obstructions. That is until I made my first sharp right turn and the safety clip came out of the holster. I figured this was a fluke until it happened again. Now, I need some help. Where in the H --- do I attach the line? I have a new F250 with the step option on the tail gate and I am thinking of looping it on the post for climbing up the step. Can anyone give me a better place or method of attaching the line?

I do not want the trailer locking up on me again.

Big Bird
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #2

Not familiar with the Reese- I have a pullrite slider. I pull the pin in the rail on the drivers side, feed the loop in and put the pin back in thru the loop. Figure if the hitch goes anywhere. the bed rails will stay. I think you can also get longer cables at camp supply stores.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 AM   #3

I added a snap ring to mine, snap it through one of the holes in the hitch. It can be attached most anywhere as long as it stays out of the way.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
I added a snap ring to mine, snap it through one of the holes in the hitch. It can be attached most anywhere as long as it stays out of the way.
That is exactly what I did with mine also....

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Site Team

I like MightyMike's idea of not pinning it to the hitch. In the one-in-a-million chance that the hitch comes loose you want the break-away to engage.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #6

Thanks,

I am a little surprised the trailer manufacturer, or the hitch manufacturer do not consider the cable and provide at least advice on how to connect. Goes to show that people who use them usually know more than the people who make them and the makers do not listen to the users.

Thanks again,

Big Bird
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #7

I use a pad lock and lock the cable and the hitch release at the same time
That way I do not have some A#$ H@#* pull the release while I'm in a parking lot or something.
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
+1
same thing here
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody 01 View Post
I use a pad lock and lock the cable and the hitch release at the same time
That way I do not have some A#$ H@#* pull the release while I'm in a parking lot or something.
So, I am not the only one that is supscious of someone throwing the latch on my trailer hitch while parked. I keep a padlock on mine, also.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

As an old semi driver told me once, if you leave your truck for any length of time, before you pull forward, hold trailer brakes and back up. This will re-latch your 5th wheel, in case somebody has been playing games. Good habit to get in to.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #11

Thank you very much. I am new and I feel like I am getting a 4 year degree in RV'g from the forum and from folks we meet in our travels.

I have to admit that I do not understand the locking of the cable. Can't someone still pull it anyway?

I do like the advice on backing up and checking the hitch. Sometimes the obvious escapes me, but you are right, there is someone who thinks it is funny or worse.

Big Bird
Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bird View Post
Thank you very much. I am new and I feel like I am getting a 4 year degree in RV'g from the forum and from folks we meet in our travels.

I have to admit that I do not understand the locking of the cable. Can't someone still pull it anyway?

I do like the advice on backing up and checking the hitch. Sometimes the obvious escapes me, but you are right, there is someone who thinks it is funny or worse.

Big Bird
Pretty sure they are locking the latch release handle, and using it as a point to attach the cable.

Locking your cable really won't make a difference since it pulls out of the electric brake accuator anyway.

It is a good idea to lock your latch handle so no one messes around with it....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #13

We used to tow a Montana and I used the release latch on our 18K Reese to secure the safety cable. It pulled out once when I was in a sharp turn backing up. Never did it again. And I also used a saftypin in the lock mech of the Reese so it would not come unlatched.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #14

I do lock the latch for the pull handle on the hitch. My Truck has a step built in the tail gate. I now attach the safety brake cable to the handle. I seems to work well and I have not pulled the cable out of the socket, or whatever you call it, since.

Thanks again

Big bird

Tags
5th wheel, brakes