Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #1

Same camper 10 different names?

So, I am looking at small campers that have a gueen/full sized bed and bunks. It looks like Forest River has amost the same 21ft camper under 10 different brands/names.

Wildwood X lite 195BH
Salem Cruiselite 195BH
Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS

Palomino
Canyon Cat 170BC
Palomini 177BH

KZ Spree
Escape E19BH
Sportsman 19BH

Coachman
Clipper 17BH
Viking 17BH
Apex 185BH

I did notice that some are 6" wider then others but why have so many brands selling almost the same camper? Why not consolidate brands and then offer options?

The whole things just sounds fishy to me...almost like instead of fixing QC issues with a brand, Forest river just makes a new brand and hopes that people are not researching. Please tell me I am wrong because I like the camper layout.
ArthurUSCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
KZ Is Thor Industries
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurUSCG View Post
So, I am looking at small campers that have a gueen/full sized bed and bunks. It looks like Forest River has amost the same 21ft camper under 10 different brands/names.

Wildwood X lite 195BH
Salem Cruiselite 195BH
Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS

Palomino
Canyon Cat 170BC
Palomini 177BH

KZ Spree
Escape E19BH
Sportsman 19BH

Coachman
Clipper 17BH
Viking 17BH
Apex 185BH

I did notice that some are 6" wider then others but why have so many brands selling almost the same camper? Why not consolidate brands and then offer options?

The whole things just sounds fishy to me...almost like instead of fixing QC issues with a brand, Forest river just makes a new brand and hopes that people are not researching. Please tell me I am wrong because I like the camper layout.
OK your Wrong! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:

Wildwood X lite 195BH
Salem Cruiselite 195BH
Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS

Palomino
Canyon Cat 170BC
Palomini 177BH

KZ Spree
Escape E19BH
Sportsman 19BH

Coachman
Clipper 17BH
Viking 17BH
Apex 185BH

OK, let say as a first-time poster to this forum with a pot-stirring topic that you are not trolling and have a legitimate question here. First, your list includes campers that are not manufactured by Forest River. Next, Forest River does in fact have sister lines like Salem and Wildwood, Roo and Shamrock, etc. that have different finishes. Parallel this to a Chevy truck and a GM truck. Next, the same floorplan will "step up" across lines because buyers like the floorplan but also have different thresholds for construction. So, you can find the same floorplan in different size boxes as you noted, but then there is different construction such as the basics of material used - composite vs sided walls for instance, composite or trussed roof, enclosed underbelly or open, and so-on. Parallel this as jumping up to a Cadillac from a Chevy. One manufacturer has lines to fit most every taste and price point. Further, realize Forest River has bought a number of formerly independent manufacturers who were in competition with Forest River so they produced comparable offerings as well. Now they are all under one roof, but factories still produce their own things (think able GM worldwide, or better yet the diversity of Ford worldwide). They are culling down slowly based on becoming more unitized but more so by what sales find successful.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

In my research for both TT and now 5th wheels I have found floor plans that are the same in just about every manufacturer I've looked at. It doesn't have anything to do with "Forest River" or thier quality. It has to do with what sells. Rest assured if Company A develops a "hot" floorplan then the industry will follow suit pretty quick. Plus you have brand loyalty to consider and even though a lot of brands fall under the FR umbrella people still want "thier brand".
IMO.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #6

Geotext1,

Thank you for the info. It makes sense that FR bought out competitors. I was thinking FR kept changing names to avoid QC issues, like how GMC changed the Calivier > Cobalt > Cruze ect.

It is honestly had to research the differences in the campers with the way FR has their site laided out. It would be nice to compare across the lines to see the differences between a Chevy and Cadillac. With GMC you knew what you get with each brand. Chevy = everymans car, Buick/Olds = retirement car, Cady = white collar, bunt in the end, it was they are same pig with different lipstick. With campers I don't have the brand recognition.

It would be nice to have a way of checking boxes to narrow down the list or compare across lines.

Sorry about throwing in Thor campers in with FR they look almost he same as FR. I started going thru Thor's website and they also have multiple campers with the same layout.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #7

Does any of the brands not use the quick crimp connectors?

I have been dealing with those things doing bad on my popup and want to avoid if possible. I live next to the Chesapeake Bay, so the constant humidity corrodes the bare wire very quickly.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:

I have been dealing with those things doing bad on my popup and want to avoid if possible. I live next to the Chesapeake Bay, so the constant humidity corrodes the bare wire very quickly.
You did all this research with models did you call the manufacture? How would i or someone else know if they use "quick crimp connectors"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Arthur,

Connectors in what application? 12V lighting?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:

I have yet to see a single RV manufacturer who does not use quick crimp connectors. Some do a better job than others. I personally don't sweat anything electrical because I can fix it myself and normally replace a standard insulated crimp with a shrinkwrap insulated one since I live on the Delaware River. I was actually surprised with my new Forest River because they actually used spray corrosion inhibitor on every external crimp!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

We love our wildwood195. It just bug enough for my wife, me and the cat. 4 nights is the longest we have stayed in it though.
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #12

Is that a bunk house?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #13

Yes
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #14

Also, if you're worried about corrosion on any open crimp connectors, buy yourself a tube of RTV silicone, smear the connector and surrounding wire with it, and problem solved. I do this with every electrical connection I make that is exposed to the elements: solder, then RTV, then cover with heat shrink wrap. The shrink wrap pushes the fresh RTV towards the ends of the connection, and once it cures, there's no water getting in there at all.

Good luck with your search!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #15

I would suggest dielectric grease to protect connectors. I am still a fan of solder and heat shrink but some dielectric grease after soldering and sliding the heat shrink over it gives a clean reliable connection.
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #16

Another option could be the Forest River Coachmen Apex Nano 193BHS. My wife and I pickup ours at the end of the month. Very excited. What is your tow vehicle?
bayerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #17

Same thing

I am wanting the exact same layout with bunks and found it overwhelming too. I keep getting around the same price for them but don't know if one is crap and other better? I am not a troll and wondered what the Cadillac vs others are?
Ksharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper