Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Saw the grossest thing today!

While watching our neighbors pack up there new beauty of a TT they were breaking down camp. Guy unhooked the white fresh water hose feeding the rig all wknd and moves it over to the black tank flusher. First mistake. He runs it for awhile and flushes out the tank real good. I then see him coil up the hose into a tote. Then breaks down the stinky slinky (20' worth) and then it goes right on top of the fresh water hose in the tote. He pulls the adapters off the ends and throws em in too. All the while it's dropping poo juice everywhere including the tote. Snaps the lid on and packs here in a storage compartment. Thought I was gonna lose my breakfast.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

yep, that's pretty gross
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #3

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.........?
Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer222 View Post
What doesn't make you sick makes you stronger.........?

I guess... Was just so shocked. Wanted to say something but decided to mind my own business
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #5

Never heard the phrase "poo juice" used in a sentence, and make sense. That's going to come in handy...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Eeeww!
I'm an OCD germafobe, that would have bothered me too.
I'm a latex glove wearing, bleach sprayed on everything, 3 different kind of water hoses for thier own "jobs", and stinky slinky in its pvc post, and seperate tubs for other stuff, labled for fresh and grey, kinda guy!
Thats another reason why I like new campers, its only my germs.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #7

Last year seen a guy pull up to dump station drove his tires up real close opened up the white cap went to camper and opened the valve, didn't hook his hose up, turned on the non-potable water and proceded to hose everything down the drain said that's how they had always done it, believe me, that never crossed my mind that someone would do it that way
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #8

you can't fix stupid, besides, its fun to watch
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by themounties View Post
Last year seen a guy pull up to dump station drove his tires up real close opened up the white cap went to camper and opened the valve, didn't hook his hose up, turned on the non-potable water and proceded to hose everything down the drain said that's how they had always done it, believe me, that never crossed my mind that someone would do it that way
We have a state park here in SD that's set up that way. I tried to connect my hose but there's no way. I will say it's easier.

At another park, I saw a guy the wrong way through the dumo station and grab the flush water hose to fill his water tank. Me: "You know that's not drinking water right?" Him: "Yup, we don't drink the water anyways."
Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
While watching our neighbors pack up there new beauty of a TT they were breaking down camp. Guy unhooked the white fresh water hose feeding the rig all wknd and moves it over to the black tank flusher. First mistake. He runs it for awhile and flushes out the tank real good. I then see him coil up the hose into a tote. Then breaks down the stinky slinky (20' worth) and then it goes right on top of the fresh water hose in the tote. He pulls the adapters off the ends and throws em in too. All the while it's dropping poo juice everywhere including the tote. Snaps the lid on and packs here in a storage compartment. Thought I was gonna lose my breakfast.
I can top that. I once saw a guy run his water hose up inside the tanks through the outlet to flush them out. Ewwwww.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themounties View Post
I've seen this too. No slinky or nothing... Just let 'er rip and hose it down.

The sights at the dump stations are almost as exciting as a boat ramp, but far more gross.

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #11

What I can't understand is how some CG's get away with the fresh water connection being NEXT to the sewer connection - right next to it!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #12

ive heard several places are set up like that....dump is basically a hole with a grate on it..no where for a hose, but i guess you would use one either way.....

i actually have an old white hose that i ran over.....so when i fixed it i put brass ends on the hose to fix it and use it to flush my black tank now....its stored in a seperate tote....cannot remember or count how many friendly (disgusted) fellow campers warned me that i shouldnt use my drinking hose...LOL....needless to say i replaced that perfectly good flushing hose with a different one......to save everyone the trouble of thinking me a fool.....haha

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #13

I'm not obsessive about it, but do try to keep things with their own things. After dumping (And the drop it on the ground bit? Yeah that weirds evenme out) I seriously rinse out the sewer hose, all the connections, then I carry my sewer hose with the caps on (I love this RhinoFlex setup.) and they haven't lost a drop. My white hose goes on a wood shelf I built above everything so if there's a leak of anything, it's above it. And I also connect one end of the hose to it's mate, that seals the hose off and keeps anything out. Things we learn over the years.

But that guy is unfortunately a serious ecoli risk, you ever see him again might want to say something, just don't shake hands.

Worst I've seen is at my local Flying J. The dump station pavement actually leans away from the dump so this guy pulls in with his drivers side away from the dump, I guess to get a better purge or maybe he didn't know.

I'm patiently sitting waiting to dump, chatting with the wife, he's got the hose draped under the rig and I can see the lean is enough that his connection is below level with the hole in the ground. About the time my feeble mind puts two and two together he's walking around the back of the rig headed for the connection. I'm getting out, he's closing the black valve, never touched the gray and never heard me yelling. He popped that hose off and got a black bath. Poor fellow was kneeling down and I saw the stuff run across his legs, off his chest, just awful. He just dropped the hose and looked like someone shot his dog.

I went back to my truck, his wife was hosing him off with the non potable while the station manager was walking out to discuss it.

Me? I put it in gear and rolled away. To this day, that's the worse I've seen. I accidentally managed to get my hands out of sequence and pulled the black valve before removing the cap. Luckily, I closed it, put the hose under and carefully opened the cap losing not a drop on the ground.

That's why I started that things Go RVing doesn't show you. First time I dumped 12 years ago that's the first thing that went through my mind.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Store white hose on a holder in the basement and the black tank hose in a coffee can. Slinky in a hose holder under the trailer. Never the twain shall meet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose Carrier in basement.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	50531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00062.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	50532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	50533  
Old 05-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #15

Kind of gross but Ive seen much worse.Thats actually pretty common from what I've watched over the years.There should be a back flow preventer valve on the black tank flush so I would think as gross as it may look I have to believe the hose was as clean as it was prior to the flush.

Im assuming you are talking about a black tank flush that is made at factory,( next to city water inlet)not one you hook up to your dump valve under rv? If he did that,I agree.Totally wrong move to do.
Rtazz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Probably his first RV. I would have said something. Even if he says something back or gives you a dirty look, later on he will realize that you were trying to help.

I always screw both end of the white hose to make sure nothing gets in there. Every so often I'll sanitize it along with the tank. I also always spray everything down with Clorox Anywhere. I had dedicated one compartment for all sewer related stuff, but now it's much better with the 5x5 fence storage fence post. Haven't had the need to use the tank flusher since nothing but poo and pee goes in the tank. After it's half full, nothing but liquid comes out. We used wet wipes and they go into a diaper trash can.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Probably his first RV. I would have said something. Even if he says something back or gives you a dirty look, later on he will realize that you were trying to help.

I always screw both end of the white hose to make sure nothing gets in there. Every so often I'll sanitize it along with the tank. I also always spray everything down with Clorox Anywhere. I had dedicated one compartment for all sewer related stuff, but now it's much better with the 5x5 fence storage fence post. Haven't had the need to use the tank flusher since nothing but poo and pee goes in the tank. After it's half full, nothing but liquid comes out. We used wet wipes and they go into a diaper trash can.
You dont use your factory bt flush or an aftermarket?....I know my factory btf kicks out a lot of extra junk...half, 3/4 regardless. .....it will drain till clear, but firing up the btf brings more junk....

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #18

"cant fix stupid" .. love that line ...

d-mo
Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
You dont use your factory bt flush or an aftermarket?....I know my factory btf kicks out a lot of extra junk...half, 3/4 regardless. .....it will drain till clear, but firing up the btf brings more junk....

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
Haven't used it yet. Never had one in our past RVs. I had a problem once with the sensors and ended up sticking my camera probe in the tank and it was very clean. Problem was with a lose connection on the outside of the tank. I think it's because we don't use any chemicals or throw anything in there...except for coco lube every once in a while. We also don't dump frequently and that keeps things liquefied. When I clean the tank, a couple times a year, I'll use the BTF. In the past I've rinsed them with a hose.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #20

I once purchased one of those clear plastic flush adapter elbows that goes between the dump hose and the tank outlet. I left it in the package, tossed it in the compartment and never got around to using it. The inlaws took the coach out a couple months later and I got a frantic call as they were trying to dump after a week at the park. They said the new flusher was clogged somehow and was full of black water. Turns out there was a clear piece of packaging material shaped like a disc on the outlet side between the hose and the elbow that sealed up very nicely. He had to let 'er rip to get things moving again. It was fun listening to the laughter of the mother in-law as she watched the dribbles run down her husband's hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk