Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

Scary trip this weekend

We took the trailer up to our local mountains this weekend. Our first trip of the new year. The temps were below freezing so I had put in tank heaters and heat tape on the pipes. I like to be prepared!

Great weekend. There was snow for my daughter to play in and I was able to wake up early, like I do, and sit out in the morning and watch the sun come up.

On the way down the mountain I noticed there were some good sized rocks on the road. Nothing out of the normal. As I was coming down there was a car behind me flashing their high beams. I had been looking for a place to turn out for a while, but i was in an area that did not have much room to slow down and pull out. I told my wife that I thought this guy was in a hurry and she said she thought my passenger side trailer tire was flat. I said that if it was flat, I would know. I did not even bother to move the mirror down to look.

When I finally pulled over the car pulled up next to me and said my tire was flat. I looked and I was just about to start riding on rim.

I did not notice any change in the way the trailer felt and some of the roads I went over were pretty twisty. Should I have noticed a difference in the way the trailer felt? I must admit, I have never had a flat on a trailer. Looked like I ran over a rock. It was a good puncture

Has anyone used the remote pressure gauges? I think they screw onto the valve stem and transmit to a device inside the car......

Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #2

have heard the remote transmitters tear the rubber valve stems (the one that is attached to the valve stem).
the better one would the one that is mounted inside the rim and is intergrated into the valve stem if you go that route like on the new cars that have the remote transmitter's

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
CampeRooo

Or just buy the metal valve stems.

That story is the very same reason why I am also looking into the TPMS systems for this year's travels. The year I bought my 2000 Roo, I was bringing it back from Des Moines, Iowa when the passenger tire popped. If I would not have had my back passenger window down about an inch, I would have never heard it pop and who knows how far I would have pulled it before noticing. There was no difference to me in the way that it pulled either.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

The year before last we had a tire blow out in Arizona. I changed the tire and 5 minutes later a tire on the other side blew. The beginning of last year I bought the TST tire pressure system. Has the metal valve stems put on and all tires balanced. I feel a lot more comfortable now especially when traveling alone.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
have heard the remote transmitters tear the rubber valve stems (the one that is attached to the valve stem).
the better one would the one that is mounted inside the rim and is intergrated into the valve stem if you go that route like on the new cars that have the remote transmitter's
Times two here. I put the dealer option tire monitors on my valve stems and took them off after the first trip. The black plastic of the monitors had described an arc on the white wheel rims from centrifical force.

That means the tire stems were bent almost flat to the wheel. This would cause a slow leaking valve stem at the least and potentially early failure at worst as Sherdep suggested.

Metals (high pressure - 100 PSI) stems went on my rims when I replaced the tires.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post

I did not notice any change in the way the trailer felt and some of the roads I went over were pretty twisty. Should I have noticed a difference in the way the trailer felt? I must admit, I have never had a flat on a trailer. Looked like I ran over a rock. It was a good puncture

Has anyone used the remote pressure gauges? I think they screw onto the valve stem and transmit to a device inside the car......
I have read where many others could not tell that they had a flat on the trailer. My DD and SIL had a flat last spring, and another member or our group had to call them on the CB to let them know about the flat......my DD and SIL had no idea.

I use the this: PressureProSystem :: Home The reciever has no problem picking up the signal from the trailer tires, and I do not use a repeater. I even used in on my aluminum skinned Trailmanor without a problem.

I had metal valve stems installed to prevent the bending due to centrifugal force that happens with the rubber stems.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #7

I think I will look into getting a remote TPMS for the TT, thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #8

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
My next investment TPM !! Glad its winter so I can save up for more RV goodies....DW hates me !!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replys. I will look into getting the remote system and metal valve stems.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
CampeRooo

Hey, does anybody know if we can get in on a group buy on these things to get a better deal? I would love to see more of that on here, especially for safety products.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote