Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Secure items in cabinets?

I've spent the last hour searching for what I know has been asked here before, but just can't find it.

How do you secure your items in the cabinets. Overhead and below counter?

Things like cups, plates, coffee maker. Anything in cabinets that could slide.

Here are a few pics of the left over items from our popup that my wife put in an overhead cabinet. I see this as a disaster going down the road. We did get some of that cabinet stuff you put down to keep things from sliding. It just doesn't "secure" it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_115346.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	115902   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_115350.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	115903   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_115415.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	115904  
kantonburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

We use the shelf grip in all the cabinets. I thinks it's a pain but the DW is in charge of that area so I just mind my own business In the upper cabinents we use those cupboard bars you can get at wallie world or CW to keep glass items stationary and to keep items from falling out on us when we first open the cabinet door. Mostly my DW has learned by trial and error what goes where and with what to best survive the trip.

In your pic the packing job looks OK to me. Will it be in the same position after your trip? No.... But doesn't look like anything can get broken.

We always have to do a little cleanup in some of the cabinets after a trip.

Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We use the shelf grip in all the cabinets. I thinks it's a pain but the DW is in charge of that area so I just mind my own business In the upper cabinents we use those cupboard bars you can get at wallie world or CW to keep glass items stationary and to keep items from falling out on us when we first open the cabinet door. Mostly my DW has learned by trial and error what goes where and with what to best survive the trip.

In your pic the packing job looks OK to me. Will it be in the same position after your trip? No.... But doesn't look like anything can get broken.

Good luck!

We have purposely avoided anything glass at this point. I like the cupboard bars. May have to invest in a few of those.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:

Good luck!
I have the same problem like everyone, never heard of those cupboard bars what do they look like? I little piece of the non slip works great between plates and bowls. Dose anyone know how to adjust a drawer it keeps opening and I know I will forget to look and that slide will make a big Crunch....I guess I kinda Some of us idiots need pictures, whats a little high jacking between friends...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

I just put things closely together and put paper towels between stuff to stop the rattles.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:33 PM   #6

Using the rubber grip stuff and spring tension curtain rods to hold the taller stuff upright.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have the same problem like everyone, never heard of those cupboard bars what do they look like? I little piece of the non slip works great between plates and bowls. Dose anyone know how to adjust a drawer it keeps opening and I know I will forget to look and that slide will make a big Crunch....I guess I kinda Some of us idiots need pictures, whats a little high jacking between friends...
They make many different sizes and types but all are adjustable by the use of an internal spring. Here is a link to one:

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_...oard_Bars.aspx.

As far as the drawer, some have adjustable hardware. Mine didn't so I went to home depot and got some 10lb drawer latches and screwed them on. They make them in different pull strengths.... 5lb, 10lb,...... I can't find a pic of that one right now though.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44063-C...s=cuppord+bars
Old 07-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Found a pic of some. They make all kinds, metal/plastic top mount, side mount, etc. One similar to what I used (the battalion grab catch):
https://www.grainger.com/category/ca...ecatalog/N-mzf

A side mount: https://www.amazon.com/Southco-SC-43.../dp/B002I05TUQ

Hope you can find one that works for you.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
Always Learning

For (our Corelle) plates, we stand them on end in a small hard container. We stack our (also Corelle) bowls and put them into the same container- that keeps them under control.

Then we keep our cups cabinet under control with "slotted interlocking" drawer organizers. We initially found them at The Container Store and later found them at IKEA.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Then we keep our cups cabinet under control with "slotted interlocking" drawer organizers. We initially found them at The Container Store and later found them at IKEA.
Great idea! I showed Liz and she looked them up and is oohing and awing. I think there will be some in our future. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For (our Corelle) plates, we stand them on end in a small hard container. We stack our (also Corelle) bowls and put them into the same container- that keeps them under control.

Here is our plate and bowls. They travel like this with no issue.

Name:	IMG_3464.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	115925

Here are the slotted interlocking dividers. We use them for cups and other places (like my flashlights):

Name:	IMG_3462.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	115926

Name:	IMG_3463.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	115927

And we also use risers a good bit. Things don't fall off of these nearly as much as you'd think they would:

Name:	IMG_3465.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	115928

Name:	IMG_3466.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	115929
Old 07-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #13

Thanks for the pics ependydad. That pretty much sealed the deal for Liz. I have got to stay off this forum. It has cost me some $$$ today with these great ideas. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #14

We use the rubber liner stuff between plates and bowls. (Corelle) They sit in a plastic basket. Non-perishable food items are kept in plastic totes. They are sized to take maximum advantage of cupboard space. About the only thing in the cupboards that don't get their own box would be cereal, potato chips.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #15

We use the rubber shelf liner between plates, bowls, etc. It not only helps keep things in place, it also keeps them from rattling, which is important when driving a motorhome. I've also used the cabinet bars vertically, to keep things from moving forward, which is the natural direction for them to go when driving down the road. Small plastic baskets help keep the smaller items in place, too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6820(1).JPG
Views:	145
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	115996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Paper Plate Dispense.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	115997  
Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #16

We use the grip stuff and we customized the cabinet to hold more "stuff" with free standing shelves. We have not had an issue with things moving but as you can see, the cabinet is pretty full. We use the microwave for our nesting melamine bowls. Everything else is either melamine, plastic or collapsible. Also posting a picture of magnetic storage bins attached to the side of the stove hood. They don't budge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Overhead cabinet.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	115993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic storage on stove.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	115994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dishes and collapsibles.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	115995  
Yalahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #17

I cut some super thin plywood to fit the overhead cupboards and stapled the grip to it. The grip then stays in place and the items seem to stick well to the grip.

I also made some shallow containment trays for the plates, etc. A square piece of ply with a 2 inch or so dowel screwed to each corner. Easy to get the plates in and out but they can't slide out of the tray and hit the door open. Having lost a Corning Ware plate yet.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for the pics ependydad. That pretty much sealed the deal for Liz. I have got to stay off this forum. It has cost me some $$$ today with these great ideas. Thanks again!!!

Speaking of spending....

Found this today

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1470079761.973614.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	116001

Looks like a pretty good price

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #19

I also use empty 6 pack beer bottle carriers to keep glasses from moving around and banging into each other.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #20

I've always used the grip stuff on the bottom of each cabinet. The plates and bowls are stored on their edges in a divided organizer. I also use stacking wire shelves for smaller items. Nothing is glass or ceramic except for our coffee mugs. These I wrap in kitchen towels each time we travel. I also use dollar store basket bins to keep them together. I have never had anything break while traveling except the last time when we have a sway incident. That time the drawers and cabinet doors opened and almost everything flew out. I will be looking for a way to secure the doors and drawers now.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinets