Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Securing to ground for high winds

Trying to get prepared to go full time while my wife does travel nursing I'm hearing a lot about RVs being blown over by Highwinds. Is there a fairly easy way to secure your RV to the ground in the various RV parks or even if Boondocking
Buckeye853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

We were in Kansas during a tornado forecast that looked very real.

I asked around as everyone was scurrying to get stuff put away and retract awnings.

The prevailing wisdom was to fill the fresh water tank (make the camper as heavy as possible), suck in the slides (smaller footprint), hook up the truck (again more weight and some stability), and take shelter in the concrete wash house.

The tornado touched down about 2 miles from the campground and destroyed a barn and miles of corn and watering pipes.

Camper was safe and sound; but we were very lucky.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Filling water tank would be easy as long as you're at a full hook up and can just switch the hose and fill the tank in other places without full hook up that might be tough I guess I was thinking about how people cable down there mobile homes but that's kind of permanent and drilling into somebody's ground
Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Nope!!!!!!

Anything you even think you can install to secure an RV that is mobile, won't even be an inconvenience to Mother Nature.

If nasty weather is coming, move out wayyyyyyy in advance, or find a substantial building to seek shelter.

Sorry.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye853 View Post
Filling water tank would be easy as long as you're at a full hook up and can just switch the hose and fill the tank in other places without full hook up that might be tough I guess I was thinking about how people cable down there mobile homes but that's kind of permanent and drilling into somebody's ground
If you are on a seasonal, you could use 4x4s across the top (padded to prevent wear to the EDPM roofing) and steel cables to lead or cement filled drums every six feet or so (as roof equipment allows).

I would take my guidance from your neighbors. If you are located in tornado alley, they will have seen it all and may have better input.

If you are just stopping through, there is not much you can do quickly.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
If you are on a seasonal, you could use 4x4s across the top (padded to prevent wear to the EDPM roofing) and steel cables to lead or cement filled drums every six feet or so (as roof equipment allows).

I would take my guidance from your neighbors. If you are located in tornado alley, they will have seen it all and may have better input.

If you are just stopping through, there is not much you can do quickly.

Thanks I think filling the water and being tied to the truck with owning in is probably the quickest best but we don't know where we're going to be except the wife's going to do travel nursing and we will be stopping for 3 to 4 months at a time all over we start in a couple weeks and we have two months to get to San Diego where her first job is
Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye853 View Post
Thanks I think filling the water and being tied to the truck with owning in is probably the quickest best but we don't know where we're going to be except the wife's going to do travel nursing and we will be stopping for 3 to 4 months at a time all over we start in a couple weeks and we have two months to get to San Diego where her first job is
Well, other than the Santa Annas in the desert, you won't need much in San Diego except sunscreen .
Old 07-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Nope!!!!!!

Anything you even think you can install to secure an RV that is mobile, won't even be an inconvenience to Mother Nature.

If nasty weather is coming, move out wayyyyyyy in advance, or find a substantial building to seek shelter.

Sorry.
Most of the time "Mother Nature Looks for Mobile Home Parks" if anyone thinks you can Out Think M/N just Remember "Xenia,Ohio 1974"! Nuf said! Youroo!!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Most of the time "Mother Nature Looks for Mobile Home Parks" if anyone thinks you can Out Think M/N just Remember "Xenia,Ohio 1974"! Nuf said! Youroo!!
Obviously if a tornado crosses the trailer park, there will be nothing but rubble left (and maybe even the shelter might not be safe).

HOWEVER, a near miss or just straight line winds (first gusts) from a thunderstorm can result in some serious wind damage if you don't take some precautions.

Leaving is normally not an option unless we are talking about a hurricane that has plenty of warning and you have a place to go.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #10

If traveling, pull off road and turn into the wind if you can. Obviously this won't help for a spinning tornado.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

Where I live ~~ Cougar 5er had no problems in several Cat 1 hurricanes. The plan then and now with the Montana is Cat 1 & 2 just close it up. Cat 3 (or possible cat 3 meaning high 2) get the hell out of Dodge. Like 300 miles west.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #12

Just make sure you have good insurance and get yourself to a good shelter.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #13

high winds...

If you think you need to "secure" your RV to the ground in order to prevent it from blowing away, you're simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and there's nothing you can do anyway but prepare to kiss your a** good-bye.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

Securing to ground for high winds

Not to scare you but this happened in St. Charles, mo. Last night storm.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	145821Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	145822
coachjeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #15

We have been in extremely high winds twice and had tornadoes on the ground all around us once since we have had an RV. As the only RV camped on top of a mountain in Arkansas (Queen Wilhelmina State Park) during March winds so high we thought the trailer was going over, we "slept" in the brick restroom building while listening for the sound of our trailer tumbling down the mountain (it didn't). While camped at a FHU RV park in Las Cruces during a desert windstorm last winter, we filled all three tanks to make the trailer as heavy as possible and lower the center of gravity. The trailer rocked, but didn't roll!

In a hilltop RV park near Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, the "hook echo" of a tornado swarm passed directly overhead during a monstrous rainstorm. We were watching radar on a local news-weather channel the entire time and were prepared to run for the campground office if alarms began sounding. Although funnels touched down both west and east of us, none hit within 5 miles of the RV park.

USAA is a great insurance company, so I would prefer to put in a claim on my auto and RV insurance than have my sons put in a claim on my life insurance!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #16

Hook the trailer up to the truck and get in a shelter.
We have been in winds strong enough the trailer was rocking.
I hooked it up to the truck while the wife and grandson headed to the shelter.
I was about 2 minutes behind them since we had been watching the weather, I was "ready" to do it.
Other than hooking it up to your TV, not much else you can do but have good insurance.
Don't try to wait it out, get to the campground shelter and be safe. Your rig can be replaced, you and your wife can't
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post
If you think you need to "secure" your RV to the ground in order to prevent it from blowing away, you're simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and there's nothing you can do anyway but prepare to kiss your a** good-bye.
DITTO!
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
USAA is a great insurance company, so I would prefer to put in a claim on my auto and RV insurance than have my sons put in a claim on my life insurance!
I totally agree with BOTH those statements.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #19

Just make sure your insurance policies are paid and enjoy your camping .lf its your time its your time. If your in a camper and a tornado wants to take you there isnt anythingyou could do to atop it.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #20

Windy in NM

A friend pointed out that the weatherman is much better at predicting wind than the rest of the weather. With time, some nylon webbing, and some screw in augers, I believe I could withstand a substantial windstorm. I've tent camped when the wind forecast was 80 mph. By camping where I had some shelter from the wind, and using some additional tie downs on my high quality Springbar tent, I weathered the storm with only one stake pulling out. They use large augers to tie down mobile homes. I have smaller augers I use to tie down my boat in the sand. They wouldn't stop a tornado, but I believe they would hold up to 80 mph winds. I don't usually camp in places that don't have cover from the wind.