Old 06-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #1

Sewage in grey tank?

For an $885 prep fee, my dealer skipped over several important items on my new RV that I got to deal with on the first outing. One of them was leaving the grey and black tank valves open. This was an unpleasant job to close them and then drain what remained in the dump hose between the valves and the end cap before a discharge hose could be attached. I'm also assuming that sewage got into my grey tank, right? Should I just clean it a few times with dishwashing detergent, or are there other recommendations?

As an aside, I was pretty surprised to see no Google results for people accidentally doing this themselves (leaving both open and getting a mix). Seems like it could be easy to forget.

steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

One thing I would never forget. Check that 10 times to make sure I don't have issues. That is dumb they had the cap on but the valves open.

I had a buddy camping at a huge event and someone thought it was funny to go around and do that to other peoples units.

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
llr

Not an issue with the cross flow, some people get an extra gate valve for the output and either leave them open or open them as needed to lower the gray level as it always fills 1st
Old 06-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #4

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it or do anything special. You will fill the grey tank with soapy water as you use your camper. So that will clean out anything that went backwards.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
.... Should I just clean it a few times with dishwashing detergent, or are there other recommendations?

One option is to install an aftermarket flush unit into the gray tank, ... after doing that, you're covered if the fluid crossover accidentally happens again, or if there's ever a reason you want/need to flush the gray tank, ... "quickie flush" is the one I've used, easy install and works good, ...

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40123-Q...=quickie+flush

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...Flush&cat_id=0

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

Opened black and gray valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
For an $885 prep fee, my dealer skipped over several important items on my new RV that I got to deal with on the first outing. One of them was leaving the grey and black tank valves open. This was an unpleasant job to close them and then drain what remained in the dump hose between the valves and the end cap before a discharge hose could be attached. I'm also assuming that sewage got into my grey tank, right? Should I just clean it a few times with dishwashing detergent, or are there other recommendations?

As an aside, I was pretty surprised to see no Google results for people accidentally doing this themselves (leaving both open and getting a mix). Seems like it could be easy to forget.
Not totally an unusual situation to have both valves open. It’s not my typical practice but if you are ever camping for a good length of time where “dumping “ your holding tanks is not convenient, leaving both valves open gives you more storage capacity for both the gray and black water. You’ve increased your holding capacity by the total volume of the combined tanks. Especially since the gray water tank is generally smaller than the black water tank. Hence Time showering and washing dishes for the length of stay has just increased.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboy View Post
Not totally an unusual situation to have both valves open. It’s not my typical practice but if you are ever camping for a good length of time where “dumping “ your holding tanks is not convenient, leaving both valves open gives you more storage capacity for both the gray and black water. You’ve increased your holding capacity by the total volume of the combined tanks. Especially since the gray water tank is generally smaller than the black water tank. Hence Time showering and washing dishes for the length of stay has just increased.
But if you do this, you'd better have an extra valve on the end of the sewer line as llr said; otherwise you won't get the sewer hose on.

I'm guessing you're like most of us, in that we put a lot more water in the grey than in the black, so the general flow is going to be from the grey into the black, not the other way.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
I installed a cutoff valve at the bottom of the drain & a clear 45 degree so I do not have any surprises. I would at least install the clear 45 & then the cap on the end. I am also able to check & see that my chemicals are doing their job also.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
Head Rambler

I didn't install the 45º elbow but I did install a twist on valve with a clear section before it.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #10

I make it a habit to periodically put Waste digester into the galley tank. Food particles can get pretty stinky also and this seems to help keep the galley tank flushed out. Not a problem for the bathroom tank as mostly soapy water only with no particulates. Just dump it down the kitchen sink and add a couple of gallons of water before your next trip. Will slosh around and help clear solids out on the next dump. Works even if you contaminate from the black water.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank