Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Shopping Around and Have Questions

Hi there!

I've been reading these forums for a while now. Hubs and I are looking at purchasing a new TT, and, of course, I have a few questions.

Our TV is a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8. We're currently a family of 4, although our boys are 16 and 14, and with the oldest's schedule, I suspect he will have few camping trips left with us. :-(

We're primarily looking for a TT for weekend camping trips up the mountain, maybe 1-1/2 to 2 hours away but maybe a bit longer trip occasionally. We have a bit of a parking issue on the side of the house. We only have about 8'9" from the corner of the house to the property line, although it goes up to about 11 feet just past the corner of the house. As a result, we're really looking at lightweight trailers with a width of about 7-1/2 feet and a box between 18 and 19 feet long.

We've been all over the place, but the one we keep coming back to is the Forest River Wildwood X-lite 18XLT and hubs loves the 19XLT. Interestingly, the 19XLT no longer shows up on FR's website. We've seen the 18XLT, although no one around here has either one in stock currently.

I guess I'm dragging my feet a bit. These TTs are priced significantly less than some of the others, such as the Fun Finders. I guess I'm concerned about the quality a bit. Will it hold up? Clearly it won't get heavy use from us, but we're known to keep things around for years, and that's the plan with this TT. It needs to accommodate the 4 of us now but work well for just the 2 of us as well.

I will say that it makes me a tad nervous reading about some of the issues dealing with FR.

I'm nervous about leaks and other problems. Living in the PNW, we get a lot of rain, and in our particular location we get a lot of wind in the winter. We've been known to have 60 mph east winds for days in a row in the winter. Fun times.

If someone could help assure me about the quality, I'd feel a bit better. I'm also wondering if it would be better if we held off buying anything until into the fall or even waiting until early next spring?

Any thoughts are much, much appreciated!
mgreenmt is offline   Reply With Quote