Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

size and 50 amps

my wife & 4 yr old and my self just traded up to a 42 ft wild cat 5er and we what to find out how many people out there have had problems going to camp grounds with that length and 50 amps, also any input about Thousand trails or the like. Thanks
liveoakfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Always Learning

With Thousand Trails, no issues with length. I've been to a handful of parks all around and have never not found a site.

50amp service isn't always available; or is an extra charge; or is not in areas that you want.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Been to parks with only 30 Amp, which really isn't a problem. You can run one A/C and the fridge on electric, HW on gas, no problem within 30 amp. Seen parks with 50 and 30 at same price, and seen parks where 50 amp is an upcharge.

Been to two Thousand trails, and both would have had no problems with your size rig.

State parks you might have more of a challenge with your size rig, and/or limited number of sites.

Mike
walaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

I'm essentially the same size 42 1/2 ft. 50 amp 2 A/Cs.

CGs can be a mixed bag on site length in the midwest. I prefer state parks. Many are reserved on ReserveAmerica. They list the site length. I look for 50ft +. There are a number of non-private cgs where "big rigs" may have a challenge. The internet is a great place to do a little research before booking.

I was camping this past weekend at a state park (Pere Marquette in IL). They only have 30 amp sites. No problems. It got into the low 80s. Running the living room A/C worked well enough. By evening it was cooling down and we just opened the windows. If it was upper 90s in July, I'd probably want both A/Cs.

My front A/C also works on 30amp. I just can't run both at the same time. If it was hot and I only had 30 amp, I'd run the living room during the day and the BR in the evening to cool it down. Once the sun goes down, the rear air could probably do a decent job on its own. We'll see.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #5

I haven't done it yet, but I believe I can run both of my A/C's (15K A/C) on 30 amp. Each A/C takes 12.5 amps, so running both would be 25 Amps Wouldn't be able to run anything else, but if need be, it can be done.

My A/c's when they kick on, start at about 8 amps with just the fan, then the compressor kicks in and it maxes up to 12.5 amps for each unit.

Mike
Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

size and 50 amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
I haven't done it yet, but I believe I can run both of my A/C's (15K A/C) on 30 amp. Each A/C takes 12.5 amps, so running both would be 25 Amps Wouldn't be able to run anything else, but if need be, it can be done.

My A/c's when they kick on, start at about 8 amps with just the fan, then the compressor kicks in and it maxes up to 12.5 amps for each unit.

Mike

Yeah mike I bet you can't, you " might " be able to in the spring or fall but in the heat in the middle of summer no way.
My 15k runs around 14 amps and my 13.5k about 12 amps.
You also need to add in the converter which runs constant between 4 and 5 amps.

In Nashville last year I was pulling 25 amps with just a 13.5k a/c and converter.
It was July and hot n humid.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #7

With fully charged house batteries, I turn off my converter and run the lights from battery only. I then have just enough to run the 2 A/C units (12K BTU)on 24 amps.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #8

I have been to about 8 different FL state parks and they all have 50 amp and at least some of the sites can handle the biggest of rigs

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Yeah mike I bet you can't, you " might " be able to in the spring or fall but in the heat in the middle of summer no way.
My 15k runs around 14 amps and my 13.5k about 12 amps.
You also need to add in the converter which runs constant between 4 and 5 amps.

In Nashville last year I was pulling 25 amps with just a 13.5k a/c and converter.
It was July and hot n humid.
Probably right... that, and everyone in the park will be blasting A/C at the same time. This will be my first summer with this new rig, so we will see. Hopefully it will cool enough with just the main unit running.

Mike
Old 04-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Probably right... that, and everyone in the park will be blasting A/C at the same time. This will be my first summer with this new rig, so we will see. Hopefully it will cool enough with just the main unit running.

Mike

Happy camping!
Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Mike
If not, do what we did. We had a 365saq Sierra, rear bunkhouse, and would have the main A/c on all day and evening, then after dark and before bed, we would blast the bedroom A/C to cool it down and switch back to main. This kept things cool.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Also depends where you are on the campground grid....at Quartzsite this year during the RV show, as the park filled up, I was watch'n the readout.....so many people don't know how to manage power that I needed my gennies to have any!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I was down to 102 volts in Nashville, one 13.5k a/c on 30 amp.
I had to dogbone up to the 50 to get 112v
Ems save my bacon!

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 04-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Whatever you do in Nashville, don't plug into your neighbor's pedestal! I caught hell for that one!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #15

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Whatever you do in Nashville, don't plug into your neighbor's pedestal! I caught hell for that one!
I thought you and Turbs were buddy's, he wouldn't even share his "juice" with you? Wait till late at night, go over and plug into his camper with an extension cord. After all, what are friends for?

What could go wrong?
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #16
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
That's suppose to be a night time exercise....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #17

Gotta plan far ahead/call, 42 footer narrows your choices.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #18

Can they alternate running?

I am wondering if you can program the Dometic AC's so they alternate when they run? We may be camping with 30 amp this summer and I'd sure like some AC going in the bunk room where I sleep. My kids have the big bedroom at the other end. If you can't program the Dometic to do that and we have to cool the living room area during the day, that also cools the bunk room and then at night run the AC for the big bedroom and bathroom, I'm worried I will get hot in the bunk room. Any ideas? We have a 376BHOK.
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel with airbags added (pulls great)
B&W Companion Hitch
Nitecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post

That's as bad as taking beer out of his cooler
Old 04-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #20

We camped at an ancient campground in Ohio last summer for several days. Driving our 40 foot 5er was a chalenge. I had to go extra slow and ask people to move their cars. There was only 30 amp service available which was OK except for when Sara turned on the 2nd A/C and blew the circuit breaker. It was not at the pedestal and we had to track down where the circuit breakers were. We found them and got the service back on. With an adapter, you just have to budget your electrical use. Close off the bedroom and cool the kitchen and living area. At night we turned on the bedroom A/C and left the door down to the living area open and ran a fan to help blow the conditioned air into the living area. It worked well. Just budget your use and you will be OK.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp