Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #1

Slide locks???

My new Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8285WS has slide locks.

They resemble the cargo bar I use for my P/U but there are 2 signs something like SLIDE LOCK HERE and the dealer said they are inserted when the slide is retracted. (I take delivery of my new unit at the end of the week).

Is this something new or is it specifically for the Ultra Light design.

The Jayco I traded had the same slide depth (was not as long though) and did not have slide locks.

Can someone illuminate me and further my Rockwood education
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #2

I have a slide lock for my Flagstaff that I have never used. My dealer said it really wasn't needed.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb1899 View Post
Can someone illuminate me and further my Rockwood education
Sorry I can't help you, but i just don't know one way or the other.

I do use mine, mainly because they're there, and the "experts" at my dealer said that most people don't but they were glad to see that I do.

I guess whatever works for you.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #4

They are safety precautions in case something went wrong and your slide came out while traveling they only take a few seconds to install may not really need them but what the hell huh also make great drying rack in shower when not in use
Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #5

The slide locks on my Rockwood are useless because of the design of the rubber seal around the slide. If anything the slide locks will damage the rubber seal while traveling, they will not fit tight causing them to move around.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #6

I'm on my third camper with a slide-out and have never used the slide locks on any one of them.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #7

So the guy at my dealer said that I should use them if I am traveling on gravel roads for any period of time to help prevent the slide from bouncing around and possibly jumping a tooth on the gears.
Snivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivek View Post
So the guy at my dealer said that I should use them if I am traveling on gravel roads for any period of time to help prevent the slide from bouncing around and possibly jumping a tooth on the gears.
Never heard that before, i don't know how slide locks keep the slide out from moving up and down they are design to keep the slide out from opening and if you are bouncing that much, then you might want to slow down.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #9

they ship them out with them as a precaution, would suggest you use them as long as you remember to remove them prior to opening the slide or you will damage the slide face.
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #10

When we first got our Berkshire, my son and his wife were sitting at the dining table. He noticed that the kitchen slide was moving in and out at the top while travelling on the highway. From then on, we have used our slide locks mostly to stabilize the slideout.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #11

My Flagstaff V lite came with 3 of them- 2 for the superslide living area room, and one for the bedroom slideout. Due to the seal design at the front of the slide rooms, I see no way feasible to make these work, and besides, the motors are geared to move the rooms on a bar/track on the underside, so I really can't see how they could move out without power applied, anyway! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You're right, Randy. The seal on the back of the flange of the slide is tapered top to bottom. To have the slide lock stay in palce, you have to adjust them to be pretty tight to keep them from popping out. I didn't use them on our travel trailer and am not planning to use them on our 5th wheel. I'm a lot more worried about damaging the seal than I am about the slide deploying on it's own.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #13

We use ours all the time, just because I believe that it takes some of the strain off of the slide mechanism. Ours too have the tapered seal. If your slide locks are the ones that the ends pivot in one direction, I turn the side against the seal so that the pivot moves front to back instead of up and down. You don't have to crank down on them to keep them in place.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

I use mine in our Rockwood Ultralite 5th wheel. It seems to me this would eliminate the top of the slide from rocking back and forth, (actually left to right) during travel. Relieving this strain would increase the usable life of the trailer. I left the big orange tabs on mine to remind me to take them down.

They came with the trailer, they are paid for, why not use them?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #15

I know this thread is old but this is another thing the dealer did not tell us about. I thought they were clothes hangers and did not see a use for them. Im not even sure how to use them if I wanted to. They go from the slide to the outer hull?
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #16

They go from the back of your interior fascia trim around the slide to the top of the fixed wall above the slide room-(should be stickers). On mine, the seal is angled in such a way that it would not possibly fit there, so this is the only way to make them work, which STILL DOESN'T WORK, because it just pushes the trim off, that is held on with paneling nails! It's sorta like trying to hold back a SEMI truck with a matchbox car! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel