Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #1

Slide out bottom covering

On my Crusader there are some small rips in tyvek type material that covers the wood floor on the bottom of slide. Does anyone have a fix for this?
Thanks
Steve
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Fiberglass kit from Wal-mart. Don't use the figerglass, just mix up the sealer and hardner. Just roll it or brush it on. You'll need to have everything ready because it gets hard pretty fast. You can sand it smooth and then paint it.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk734 View Post
On my Crusader there are some small rips in tyvek type material that covers the wood floor on the bottom of slide. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks

Steve

You can get a kit of plastic wear strips to put on the underside where the slide wears on the rollers - you need to be very DIY as the slide needs lifted slightly to install

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #4

Without a picture, hard to tell what you need. Try here.

- RV Windows
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:32 PM   #5

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

I used the flex seal rubber spray in the can, advertised on tv. Lowes sells it and worked out great! but would suggest using the liquid in the can and rolling it on. Cut and remove any loose tyvek material and just roll on as many coats as needed. Dries flexible. Just tape off the areas you don't want the rubber sealant to get on.
ryoucrazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
Traveling Two

Mine was doing the same thing on my Surveyor dinette slide, however, I believe that it was occurring because the slide was incorrectly adjusted. At any rate, I took it to my dealer's shop and had it adjusted. Took mechanic some time to get it adjusted, but now it slights perfectly. He replaced the "tape" on the underside and now it does not rub and operates much smoother. I believe it I had just fixed the underside, the problem would have still existed. I am happy with the correctly adjusted slide.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #8

I adjusted my slide before applying the rubber coating, thats what caused my tyvek membrane to tear because I let it go to long before making the adjustment.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

Does the slide need to be raised so it does not rub coming in? I am mechanical-is it hard to adjust?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

Correct, not difficult. On the underbelly of the slideouts there are the two support arms. One at each end of the slides with the gear notches on the top side. You will see a bolt at the end and this is the adjustment points. Loosen the nut or nuts and adjust the bolt up to raise slideouts. May need to spray bolts with some lubricating oil because they rust easily. Only make slight adjustments on each bolt and then run slideouts in and out to see if its still rubbing on the plastic teflon.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #11

I had to reset the slide side to side-it was fun. One side of the slide was rubbing against the black tyvek type material and damaging it. What is the best way when I adjust the height of the slide to know it is in the right height position when you raise the slide with adjustment bolts. If you raise the slide does it put more or less pressure on the bottom of the slide where it meets the floor when it travels in? Seems like more since raising it tilts it in?
Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #12

I didn't have to adjust my slide bolts very much to fix the dragging, so it didn't change the angle of the slide much at all if any when I looked inside of the slide frame and wall?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #13

The adjuster bolt on the slide arms is more to adjust the seal on the slides to the exterior walls than to get the floor off the Teflon guide. Although it does effect the issue you describe. Be careful not to focus too much on the Darco fabric on the bottom of the slide as if you raise the slide too much your slide won't seal at the top inside when extended and the bottom outside when retracted. Drop the slide too much and your slide won't seal when extended at the bottom inside or when retracted the top on the outside.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
The adjuster bolt on the slide arms is more to adjust the seal on the slides to the exterior walls than to get the floor off the Teflon guide. Although it does effect the issue you describe. Be careful not to focus too much on the Darco fabric on the bottom of the slide as if you raise the slide too much your slide won't seal at the top inside when extended and the bottom outside when retracted. Drop the slide too much and your slide won't seal when extended at the bottom inside or when retracted the top on the outside.
Thank you for your response as it makes more sense to me.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #15

Here is a product I am going to use to fix the Darko material under the slide. Underbelly Repair Materials | Mobile Home Repair

Thanks for all your answers-see you down the road. I am new to Forest River. Where do meet? I have a Crusader 5ver. Prior to this rig I fulltimed in a Bighorn.
Steve
Old 01-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #16

http://http://www.mobilehomerepair.c...r2.php#catalog

Link to repair tape.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #17

I purchased a roll of this and taped over the bad places, first time it rained and got wet peeled off?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoucrazey View Post
I used the flex seal rubber spray in the can, advertised on tv. Lowes sells it and worked out great! but would suggest using the liquid in the can and rolling it on. Cut and remove any loose tyvek material and just roll on as many coats as needed. Dries flexible. Just tape off the areas you don't want the rubber sealant to get on.
Is your slide on wheels or does it slide over a strip? I reread your post about the spray and I thought it would stick to the slide strip if it remains pliable?
Thanks for the update on tape.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #19

No wheels.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #20

Sounds good i will try it.

Tags
cover, slide, slide out