Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
Wanna Be Camper

When we ordered our V-Lite the dealer talked us out of them, said with the winds we get around here they are very noisy as they flop around alot in high wind.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
When we ordered our V-Lite the dealer talked us out of them, said with the winds we get around here they are very noisy as they flop around alot in high wind.
I get so tired of hearing bad advice from dealers, it's obvious very few of them own RVs or have ever owned one. Ours came with slide toppers standard. This last may we were in sustained 60mph winds at one campground for 2 days straight. Trees were being toppled over in the park all around us. The awnings flapped a little, but were not noticeable over the sounds of the 60mph winds. In light wind they stay tensioned very well and do not flap or move. With slides I wouldn't want them to not be covered.

Sorry you got such bad advice.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #23
Roy

Agree 100% toppers are great!
Only problem we had was in April a couple of years ago when we stopped in a campground in Elkhart.
We had freezing rain followed by about 5" of wet snow. Only way to get the slides in was to use carefully a soft broom to move the snow.
Found out later that the cold weather made the vinyl brittle and as a result got cracks and even small holes in the vinyl. As a temporary fix, I have used vinyl repair tape which works great. Will have to replace the toppers this year when we are south.

Roy
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Whether you have a vinyl top on your convertible, running the slides (with toppers) in or out, or trying to remove vinyl wheel covers on your tires. COLD is the enemy. Trying to raise or lower your drop top in temps below 55 degrees will ruin it.

I destroyed my vinyl wheel covers taking them off in the winter last year as I was preparing to escape to FLA. The AC cover luckily came off in one giant solid piece that I left in a bedroom standing like a sentinel till it warmed up.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, awning