Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #21

No, I don't work for Sidewinder just trying to pass along information to the person who requested it. I'm not sure where you come off with the attitude but you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The cost of the sidewinder is approx. 750.00 and some of the manufactures offer it as an option with their units. Anyway, not here to debate the issue, only to offer assistance to those who ask.
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Besides pin weight would be way too far back of axle. Only used for very tight backing into a camping spot, nothing else.
I don't own a 5th wheel trailer, but may buy 1 someday, so I try to keep up on the forum.

How would be pin weight be too far back on the axle ?? It looks like to me the weight would still be over the hitch.....only the pivot point is setting way back.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
No, I don't work for Sidewinder just trying to pass along information to the person who requested it. I'm not sure where you come off with the attitude but you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The cost of the sidewinder is approx. 750.00 and some of the manufactures offer it as an option with their units. Anyway, not here to debate the issue, only to offer assistance to those who ask.

Whilst I haven't taken delivery of my 5er yet, I did notice on some pics I took of the unit that I have a Reese Revolution pin on the 5er. Is this what you are talking about. If so, a fixed bed hitch would work fine. As in this video

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wreply&p=87598
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flagstaff 020.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	4808  
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #24

I'm not sure if thats the same product. I know Reese calls it a sidewinder. Although I don't own a fifth wheeler I did a great deal of research on this because I was to take delivery of my KZ 1500 product two weeks ago. After looking for over four weeks and traveling over 1000 miles to multiple dealership we selected the Rv we wanted. The KZ was identified to be one that a 1/2 ton truck could pull. The dealer agreed and we ordered the unit. When it arrived they called us, we set up the time for our delivery and orientation. On Monday, two days prior to our orientation I went to my local trailer hitch installer for the fifth wheel hitch we had ordered. He also agreed this would work. I dropped my TV off at 8 a.m. and at 1:00 we received the bad news. No one made an installation kit for a 2010 Nissan Titan. Although the 2009 kit may have worked, no one would install the hitch because Reese and the other three main manufactures of hitch had not approved a kit for my truck. Needles to say we were not happy. I had a new truck and a new RV and no way to use both at the same time. I tell you this because I want to make sure no one is placed in this situation again. Fortunately for us, the dealer was very understanding and he also said that he had put the hitch in the 2009 models. Now we are back to square one and waiting on our Forest River Flagstaff 30WRKSS. I think it was a blessing in disguise.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #25
Grape Escape

bwr549
I am sorry I mistakenly mixed the new to me Sidewinder with Superglide hitch system. This is the first time I ever saw or heard of the Sidewinder
My appologies.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #26

dezolen, no problem. I was amazed at the product when someone told me about it. I liked it because its in the same position all the time and allows short bed trucks to have the capability of the longer bed, when towing.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #27

I can only comment on what I currently use.
I use a Pullrite Superglide.
With a short bed truck and the shape of my trailers nose, I had no choice but to use a slider.

The video on their site is great but it was their customers that sold me.
The last trip out with the pull trailer I made it a point to talk to every guy in the camp ground who had one. Not one negative response.
I bought the hitch on line and installed it myself.
Their Technical Support folks are fantastic!

The Pro's:
You never have to get out and engauge it.
It is fully automatic.
Very positive latching mechanism. It encircles the pin.
Very little maintenance.

The Con's:
It is very expensive.
It is very heavy, too heavy for one man to move by himself.
I had to use the universal capture plate that is drilled and bolted on.
No one call pull my rig unless they have a superglide. (there is a adapter available now)

We have been trailer shopping with my brother and it apprears that trailer manufacturers have got wise and are now making the nose of the units tapered to allow for more clearence and in a lot of cases eliminating the need for a slider.

Hope this is helpful.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #28

I have a 2011 gmc crewcab duramax. Every dealer is telling me that I need the slider hitch, because of the 6 1/2 foot bed. Is this true? What about the gooseneck to 5th wheel hitches? Would that work? This is all new to me, im about to buy my first 5th wheel this week, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
atkingswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #29
Grape Escape

Consensus is you don't want a gooseneck for a 5th wheel.
As to slider, alot depends on the nose of your 5th wheel.
I have a short box F250 and have never slid the hitch back in 2 years as nose cone on our Cardinal is shaped to allow some clearance.
Maybe someday I may use the slide feature but so far have not.
Perhaps keeping an eye on clearances is most important.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #30

I've been looking at some hitches like the reese sidewinder. Are these types of hitches any good. Im looking for a hitch that I can hook to and not have to worry about having to use the slide issue.
atkingswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #31

Same here, back in the day when 5th wheels had straight pins , you had to have a slider on a short bed truck or you would risk bursting out the back glass(I know it happen to me) but now 5th wheels come with the angle pins so the sliders are not needed as much but Im still have mine although I have not had to use it at all on my new 5th wheel but you never know, its just peace of mind that it you get in a tight spot that extra few inches might make a difference
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Whilst I haven't taken delivery of my 5er yet, I did notice on some pics I took of the unit that I have a Reese Revolution pin on the 5er. Is this what you are talking about. If so, a fixed bed hitch would work fine. As in this video

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wreply&p=87598
My understanding is the Revolution and Sidewinder are the same. You won't need a sliding hitch. I debated these options also and got many opinions. I decided to go with a fixed pin with a manual sliding hitch.
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
My understanding is the Revolution and Sidewinder are the same. You won't need a sliding hitch. I debated these options also and got many opinions. I decided to go with a fixed pin with a manual sliding hitch.

If you didn't need a sliding hitch with the Revolution/Sidewinder,, why did you go with one?
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
If you didn't need a sliding hitch with the Revolution/Sidewinder,, why did you go with one?
The dealer didn't like the Revolution/Sidewinder. I'm not sure why. He said a fixed 5th wheel hitch was all I needed. My truck has a 6.75' bed. Several people told me I didn't need a slide and some said I should get one. I think for the little extra cost, better safe than sorry. It was my choice to go with the fixed pin and sliding hitch. I pick mine up in about 4 weeks. Enjoy your new trailer.
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel