Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

So I bought the Goodyears... Now I have an inflation question

So I just put a set of the Goodyear Endurance ST205/75r14's on my Coachmen 273 TBS. I see that since the tires have a higher load range (D), they are marked with a higher inflation. These list a max PSI of 65. However, the sticker on the camper says to inflate tires to 50 PSI.

My camper's dry weight is 5600lbs. Let's assume that we really overpack and bring 1000 lbs of junk (we don't haul water). That brings the camper to 6600 lbs. The tires are rated to carry a load of 8160 lbs (2040 x 4). I read somewhere that if you have two axles, reduce load by 12%. That would bring the max load for the tires to 7180 lbs. I am confident that I am going to be WELL within all my weight limits (trailer, tires, tow vehicle).

My question is this... Do I keep the tires at 65 PSI per the tire? 50 PSI per the trailer, or somewhere in between. If I drop the tires to 50 PSI, do I risk excess wear or overheating?

Thanks!
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #2

Personally, I would run what the Max Cold Inflation is on the side of the tire. The sticker on the camper is no longer valid. Everything I have read leads me to think that anything other than what is on the tire for the Max Cold Inflation is going to lead to premature failure of the tire. You may hear from others that think different.

I think you are going to be fine if you now go with the what the new tires call for...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Personally, I would run what the Max Cold Inflation is on the side of the tire. The sticker on the camper is no longer valid. Everything I have read leads me to think that anything other than what is on the tire for the Max Cold Inflation is going to lead to premature failure of the tire. You may hear from others that think different.

I think you are going to be fine if you now go with the what the new tires call for...
Yeah, that was sort of my gut feeling. The drive home from the tire store was only a few miles so I didn't get a real feel for the tires. But my only concern is if the higher PSI will now cause a stiffer ride and more trailer bounce.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

There in lies the rub. Performance or comfort? Go back to what you considered when you decided on the Endurance.

Good luck and safe travels...
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #5

IMHO,
you will not hurt anything by running the new tires at 60 PSI and they won't be that stiff to bounce so much...

close enough to MAX pressure and only slightly more than the old Load Range C 50PSI tires

I am doing the same thing, with my max load of 5,000# so I am taking my own advise.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
There in lies the rub. Performance or comfort? Go back to what you considered when you decided on the Endurance.

Good luck and safe travels...
Thanks! I am thinking I will start them at 65 and perhaps drop them a bit along the way. I am just curious as to how much I risk burning up the tires if I drop them 10-15 PSI.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Thanks! I am thinking I will start them at 65 and perhaps drop them a bit along the way. I am just curious as to how much I risk burning up the tires if I drop them 10-15 PSI.
This topic will draw varied responses and leave you wondering. LOL...
Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #8

I would be targeting the Gross Weight of the trailer which is around 7,600. Assuming you have 15% on your tow vehicle you are about 6,500 lbs which is about 1,700 pert tire. Inflated at 50 psi your tire load capacity is 1,820 according to Goodyear inflation chart. You should find an inflation chart online for the tires. Look at your old tire inflation to get the load capacity the trailer was designed for. Then, looking at the chart for the new tires use the inflation for the same load capacity. It is probably going to be the same inflation as your old tire. I would go with 50 PSI. You have to be careful over-inflating tires. My Rockwood rims were only rated for 50 PSI. I would be worried about rim failure inflating much over the trailer manufacturer inflation specs.

GY inflation chart - I could not find one for that size in a D range. http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #9

Only the 225/75R14's have a load range D. Goodyear shows the 205/75R14 as load range C. HMMM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Scoundrel

It is likely that your camper originally came with load range "C" which has a cold max inflation of 50psi. Congrats on the new skins.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Only the 225/75R14's have a load range D. Goodyear shows the 205/75R14 as load range C. HMMM.
Everything I am reading on these tires (including the sidewalls) shows them to be a D range. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...4END&tab=Specs
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
I bought and had installed 205/75-14 D range Endurance

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

Well I cannot find a tire inflation chart that shows the Goodyear with a column above load range C. You can see in the link you sent that at 65 PSI your tire is rated for 2040 lbs which, considering the tongue weight, is excessive for your load. Tire wear will be an issue, ride quality will be an issue and rim failure would be a concern for me.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #14

Now I am even more confused. Whats new eh?

I have a 17RP Wolf Pup that has 225-75x15 on it. The China bombs were 8 ply load range D and the trailer said to run them at 65lbs. I purchased new Goodyear Endurance 10 ply load range E tires that say max pressure 80psi.

The chart above says run these at no more than 65psi. My tire guy said yea 65 as that is what the trailer said. (3300lbs empty) I see others saying always run at max which would be 80psi and contradict the chart and tire person.

I just want to know from any experience what others are doing for the best tire wear and the safest towing ? I did do about 200 miles last weekend at 65psi and did not have any issues what so ever but now fear that might be too low of a pressure.

Standing by to be edumicated
lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Well I cannot find a tire inflation chart that shows the Goodyear with a column above load range C. You can see in the link you sent that at 65 PSI your tire is rated for 2040 lbs which, considering the tongue weight, is excessive for your load. Tire wear will be an issue, ride quality will be an issue and rim failure would be a concern for me.
So let's say I load up with 1000 lbs of kids' toys, food, clothes for all occasions and sand from every beach we hit. That puts the camper at 6600 lbs (roughly). Assuming (as others have that 15% is on the hitch, that leaves 5610 lbs. If the 4 tires have a combined (MAX) rating of 8160 lbs, that puts me at 68.75% of their max rating. Is that really that unsafe? Will riding with less-than-max weight cause tire wear worse than if I am pushing the limits?

Rim failure I am curious about. I don't know what my rims are rated for. I am curious to know if a steel rim is actually going to fall apart or fail from being put 15 PSI over.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
Now I am even more confused. Whats new eh?

I have a 17RP Wolf Pup that has 225-75x15 on it. The China bombs were 8 ply load range D and the trailer said to run them at 65lbs. I purchased new Goodyear Endurance 10 ply load range E tires that say max pressure 80psi.

The chart above says run these at no more than 65psi. My tire guy said yea 65 as that is what the trailer said. (3300lbs empty) I see others saying always run at max which would be 80psi and contradict the chart and tire person.

I just want to know from any experience what others are doing for the best tire wear and the safest towing ? I did do about 200 miles last weekend at 65psi and did not have any issues what so ever but now fear that might be too low of a pressure.

Standing by to be edumicated
If you look at the attached chart (link below) as an example and compare lines 3 and 5. You will see they are the same size tire but 3 is load range c and 5 is load range d. Both tires have nearly the same load capacity at 50 PSI. If you increase the PSI in D tire to 65 you increase the load capacity of the tire. But you don't need the extra capacity because the trailer came with load range C tires from the factory.

I went thru this with my Rockwood. I found out that the Maxxis D tires I installed had the same load capacity at 50 PSI as my old C rated tires had at 50 PSI. Forest River recommended 50 PSI inflation. While researching I found out that my Keystone rims were only rated for 50 PSI. If I had inflated to 65 I would have exceeded the PSI rating of the rim.

If is important to get a tire that can handle the load and inflate it to the proper inflation for the load you are carrying. I would never put 80 PSI in a trailer that recommends 65 PSI without doing the math and researching rims first.

Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
So let's say I load up with 1000 lbs of kids' toys, food, clothes for all occasions and sand from every beach we hit. That puts the camper at 6600 lbs (roughly). Assuming (as others have that 15% is on the hitch, that leaves 5610 lbs. If the 4 tires have a combined (MAX) rating of 8160 lbs, that puts me at 68.75% of their max rating. Is that really that unsafe? Will riding with less-than-max weight cause tire wear worse than if I am pushing the limits?

Rim failure I am curious about. I don't know what my rims are rated for. I am curious to know if a steel rim is actually going to fall apart or fail from being put 15 PSI over.
What do you gain by having excess load carrying capacity? If will not increase the life of the tires, it will decrease it. Your trailer will ride worse.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #18

Quote:
If you look at the attached chart (link below) as an example and compare lines 3 and 5. You will see they are the same size tire but 3 is load range c and 5 is load range d. Both tires have nearly the same load capacity at 50 PSI. If you increase the PSI in D tire to 65 you increase the load capacity of the tire. But you don't need the extra capacity because the trailer came with load range C tires from the factory.

I went thru this with my Rockwood. I found out that the Maxxis D tires I installed had the same load capacity at 50 PSI as my old C rated tires had at 50 PSI. Forest River recommended 50 PSI inflation. While researching I found out that my Keystone rims were only rated for 50 PSI. If I had inflated to 65 I would have exceeded the PSI rating of the rim.

If is important to get a tire that can handle the load and inflate it to the proper inflation for the load you are carrying. I would never put 80 PSI in a trailer that recommends 65 PSI without doing the math and researching rims first.

Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA

Yeah, I think since tires vary so much, I will probably consult the manufacturer or installer. I appreciate the tips on the rim. I will be sure to research that.

As far as what the camper came with, I have been absolutely amazed at the lengths FR went to in order to save a penny here and there on the construction of my camper. If they could have found a 1 ply latex disposable tire, I am sure they would have used it. Simply because my camper came from the factory with certain equipment does not mean that I don't think it can be upgraded. The tires that FR installed were taken care of very well. I did everything you are supposed to do. Yet, after less than 36 months from DOT date - and with only 2500 miles on them - they were falling apart. I am not going to keep replacing them with equally crappy tires every year.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #19

Yes my tires were falling apart after 3 years. I bought a set of Maxxis tires to replace them. Probably should have gotten the goodyears - they look nice. I checked pressures before every trip too.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #20
Dr Travel

Tire pressure

First, thanks for starting this thread as I need to replace my tires this winter and I'll be switching to Good Years.

Yes, I'd do the slightly-less than full inflation. We've been doing that for over a year now (we are full-timers pulling a fifth wheel) and no trouble, tire wear nice and even. And no difference in the pulling experience.

So go, man, go!!
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote