Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Son is shopping around for camper

Hi my youngest son is now shopping for a tt. He has been window shopping for a year and a half.Today he took his wife and 2 of their 5 kids with to look. That had me. On the phone for 3 hours. Asking questions and asking about options and some things to look for. Made me feel good that he wanted my input.He is looking at carry overs. He has found quite a few bunk houses.
PaPaMooseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #2

Wish I had five kids or five grandkids that liked to camp
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #3

Tons of bunkhouses out there now with lots of different floorplan options. It was overwhelming for us until we narrowed down to about 3 models.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Four Grandkids, three of which we had camping before they were a month old. Fourth was about month and a half before he camped with us. They love it and now that we purchased a cabin and 42 acres of woods, they want to go there every weekend now.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Luckily I have 4 kids and 13 grand kids that love to camp.We camp with the whole family at least twice a year.All 23 of us.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 PM   #6

We got a 2018 Coachmen 248RBS. There’s certain things that were a must for me. Azdel in the walls for less chance of delamination. Furnace ducting, didn’t want to deal with dirt & dust in floor vents when it was turned on. Dinette that turns into a full bed. Full sized master queen. And a rear bath so if some gets up in middle of the night, less chance of being woke up by noise......or the chili we had for dinner. We love the outdoor kitchen & the shower is decent sized.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:13 AM   #7

1. Does he have the tow vehicle to pull it and haul all the kids, plus gear?
2. Does everyone have a bed without having to make one out of the dining table? It's horrible to have to move stuff to go to bed at night or to be interrupted in the morning when breakfast is being cooked.
3. Big enough tanks - both fresh water and gray and black tanks.
4. Large enough area for everyone to sit if/when it is raining or ugly weather.
5. Refrigerator size. With kids, especially if some of them are pre-pubescent boys, this will need to be a large consideration.

Those are just some of the things that come to mind quickly for me. I have a grown son (now), and two young teen girls.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
1. Does he have the tow vehicle to pull it and haul all the kids, plus gear?
2. Does everyone have a bed without having to make one out of the dining table? It's horrible to have to move stuff to go to bed at night or to be interrupted in the morning when breakfast is being cooked.
3. Big enough tanks - both fresh water and gray and black tanks.
4. Large enough area for everyone to sit if/when it is raining or ugly weather.
5. Refrigerator size. With kids, especially if some of them are pre-pubescent boys, this will need to be a large consideration.

Those are just some of the things that come to mind quickly for me. I have a grown son (now), and two young teen girls.
They plan to buy the truck based on the camper they decide on. They are thinking on bringing both vehicles. They have twin 8 yr olds boys, a 9 yr old girl, 12 year old girl and a 16 yr old girl.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #9

If it's their first rig and they have kids I'd suggest getting used. You won't have to suffer such a new price burn and the kids will only get older and needs and tastes may change as you become accustomed to your camping style and not what I tell you works for me. Paying the new price and then trading is a killer. At least when you trade you get closer to what you put in it next rig up. There are so many 1 and 2 year old like new rigs out there because peoples needs change and they want to upgrade also. Dealers want to turn used fast... they aren't in the used business, they want to sell new rigs. You know that the dealer has room to play on asking for a used unit, because they already beat the trader down and got it for a steal. So Negotiate. Let them see you are not committed and wishy washy... they'll walk over themselves to try and save the sale.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #10

The most space and most beds for the least dollars is soft-side popups.

If I still had kids at home and was just using the new rig for summer or 3-season camping I'd seriously consider a popup with a generator for the AC.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #11

Good advise be sure to check the roof for signs of leaks cracked seals can allow a lot of water intrusion. private seller probably a better place to buy,dealers do not warrantee damage on used trailers. we had to spend $5000. to replace the roof on a 1 year old unit the dealer refused to cover when it was discovered.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #12

Just an update folks. My son bought a 2018 Shasta Oasis 26bh.Out the door price 12 grand. It is brand new.They had all 5 kids in it,it's a little tight but they said it would be fine.Only 2 season then the oldest is gone.They have bought some of the basics,sewer hose water hose chocks Legos water pressure regulator. The dealer is going to store it til spring.

Tags
camper