Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #1

Split in A/C drip track. Is this normal inside the track?

So I went up to seal up the split in my A/C drip and there is already a glob of sealant. I'm assuming from the factory. I was wondering if this is normal? I don't see how water would really pass by even if it was sealed up correctly. I know it would eventually go, but dang it would have to really build up if the trailer was leaning back a little before it made it to the spout.

Small backstory. First trip out I had water running down where the split was. Some was making it to the spout, but a lot was still running down the side of the camper. Got a few idea from guys here and went up this morning before it got real hot and found this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160820_082539.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	117870  
Old 08-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

Black silicone would help. I used white, ugly but fixed side leak. Cut extra out for better flow.
bowebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Glad you posted this.Mine is the same.I've been meaning to look at it and keep forgetting.I'm going to see if I can use some 1/2" copper to make a bridge to help it not leak so bad.I'll try to post my results.If I remember too.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

After talking to several members I used black roofing sealant on. Made for the elements and waterproof. I also picked up a can of clear flex seal for the heck of it. Give the roofing sealant a few days to cure. I'm going to coat the inside and outside of the track with the Flex Seal. I also got Dap 230 Dynaflex clear to put a good bead on the underside against the trailer.

I will tell you to wear disposable gloves with the roofing sealant.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

Same problem with mine. I think the tracks come in standard length which is why they have a seam. The tracks on mine were definitely not flush to one another. I removed the old caulk, cleaned them and then cut a small piece of Eternabond tape to fit into the track over the seam. Rubbed it in for a good seal and then lightly caulked the edges with Dicor roof sealant to make a smooth track for water drainage. So far, so good. No more drips and streaks down the sides.

Sent from my iPhone
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodtraveler View Post
Same problem with mine. I think the tracks come in standard length which is why they have a seam. The tracks on mine were definitely not flush to one another. I removed the old caulk, cleaned them and then cut a small piece of Eternabond tape to fit into the track over the seam. Rubbed it in for a good seal and then lightly caulked the edges with Dicor roof sealant to make a smooth track for water drainage. So far, so good. No more drips and streaks down the sides.

Sent from my iPhone
I never considered Eternabond. Weather should be good tomorrow so I'm going to add the 203 Dynaflex to the outside under track. Have 2 more trips scheduled this year so should be able to AC test at least once more. Probably be running heat in October.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #7

O.K. I'm a bit confused here. The OP states that he/she is sealing up a split in the A/C drain and I see the photo. Is this the drain within the A/C, which is a straight plastic piece or is the photo of the rain gutter at the top of the camper?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
O.K. I'm a bit confused here. The OP states that he/she is sealing up a split in the A/C drain and I see the photo. Is this the drain within the A/C, which is a straight plastic piece or is the photo of the rain gutter at the top of the camper?
Rain gutter at the top on both sides. Runs to the spouts on the ends.