Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #21

Brother Les,

Coming from Michigan (Mother Nature can stop with the snow anytime now). Heading down 75 first full week of April.

Just wondered if anyone had a place to recommend down in Tennessee or Kentucky area.
Jack77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack77 View Post
Brother Les,

Coming from Michigan (Mother Nature can stop with the snow anytime now). Heading down 75 first full week of April.

Just wondered if anyone had a place to recommend down in Tennessee or Kentucky area.
Minus 3 in mid mo this morning. Diesel gelled up, DW car no heat (thermostat stuck open?) took daughters car... ("Dad you put gas in my car for 'using it'"... my name is on the title)

There are many many nice places in TN and Ky.More people will chime in. I have camped at 'Land-between the Lakes (west side of TN) and at Gattlinburg/ Pigeon Forge TN (east side, in cabins) and camped at Chattanooga (lot of Civil War things to see). Beautiful beautiful areas, but remember this is still Spring Time, the days will be nice and the evening will be cool. Have a space heater.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Minus 3 in mid mo this morning. Diesel gelled up, DW car no heat (thermostat stuck open?) took daughters car... ("Dad you put gas in my car for 'using it'"... my name is on the title)

There are many many nice places in TN and Ky.More people will chime in. I have camped at 'Land-between the Lakes (west side of TN) and at Gattlinburg/ Pigeon Forge TN (east side, in cabins) and camped at Chattanooga (lot of Civil War things to see). Beautiful beautiful areas, but remember this is still Spring Time, the days will be nice and the evening will be cool. Have a space heater.

What campground did you stay at when at Land between the Lakes? I looked it up and it looks right up our alley. Lots to do there? We know it won't be warm but good enough for us to hike, bike, sight see, etc.
Jack77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #24

Quote:
What campground did you stay at when at Land between the Lakes? I looked it up and it looks right up our alley. Lots to do there? We know it won't be warm but good enough for us to hike, bike, sight see, etc.
My Aunt lived in Dover Tn so we camped at I think was a Corp of Engineers campground that was close to there west of Dover. Do not remember the name as it was more than ten years ago. It was not a private campground, but public. You can take several great 'day trips' from your camp base.

LBL | Energy Lake Campground
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area Campgrounds | Dover Tennessee Camping Sites | Trails.com
Recreation.gov recreation area details - Barkley Lake - Recreation.gov

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbalmer65 View Post
Thank you. We have never been down there and sure hope it's nice. Seen pics on google of the RV park. Looks clean and very big rig friendly.
Which park are you staying in? There are several along there, plus Galveston Beach State Park is right there as well. You will be about 15 minutes to Galveston due to the spring break traffic. Go see Moody Gardens and the Elissa. The drive up to Webster to go see NASA is worth it as well.

Lots of good places to eat, though I am usually only there during the weekday on business, so my recommendations are lunch.

1. If you are looking for a really good muffaletta, there is a place called Maceos you should check out. "Locals only" kind of place. It is an import shop for high end culinary types. He brings in some really excellent cured meats from Italy and uses them for his sandwiches. The atmosphere is sitting at a long table in the middle of the fairly small store. It is not much, but the sandwiches are awesome.

2. The other local place I like is Gumbo Bar. It is just off Harborside by the cruise terminal pier. Gumbo, NOLA style BBQ shrimp and the Po-Boys are excellent.

3. Mosquito Cafe is a grown-up food place that does some good lunch faire. That said, with kids, I am not sure I would go, as the food can be a little "sophisticated" for youngsters. The desserts are pretty killer though.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #26

We will be doing our Maiden voyage with the new Fifth Wheel for Spring break! We are headed to Lake Texana near Edna, TX for Spring Break. I am hoping to get down to Palacios/Matagorda/Rockport to do a little fishing as well.
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #27
Are we there yet.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingwilliamsons View Post

Which park are you staying in? There are several along there, plus Galveston Beach State Park is right there as well. You will be about 15 minutes to Galveston due to the spring break traffic. Go see Moody Gardens and the Elissa. The drive up to Webster to go see NASA is worth it as well.

Lots of good places to eat, though I am usually only there during the weekday on business, so my recommendations are lunch.

1. If you are looking for a really good muffaletta, there is a place called Maceos you should check out. "Locals only" kind of place. It is an import shop for high end culinary types. He brings in some really excellent cured meats from Italy and uses them for his sandwiches. The atmosphere is sitting at a long table in the middle of the fairly small store. It is not much, but the sandwiches are awesome.

2. The other local place I like is Gumbo Bar. It is just off Harborside by the cruise terminal pier. Gumbo, NOLA style BBQ shrimp and the Po-Boys are excellent.

3. Mosquito Cafe is a grown-up food place that does some good lunch faire. That said, with kids, I am not sure I would go, as the food can be a little "sophisticated" for youngsters. The desserts are pretty killer though.
We are staying in Jamaica beach RV. I really thank you for the places to go and do. :-)
Pbalmer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #28

We have stayed at Jamaica Beach RV before. They have a nice pool and hot tub, though the pool is not heated, and it has been a cold winter for down here. They were doing a lot of expansion when I was there last time, two years ago. I imagine it is really nice.

I will warn you, all of the parks in and around Jamaica Beach are on the main highway. Depending on the time of day, it can be pretty busy. Just be patient when you are pulling out, taking a left to go back to town.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #29

Spring Break

Not a teacher here but took vacation during that week and approved by boss on the same day I requested it. We're heading to Pismo Beach State park for a few days with DW and DS. Also got Memorial Day weekend at San Luis Obispo Coastal Dunes State Park
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #30

Another teacher here, getting ready to head out in a week to Jetty Park in Cocoa Beach, FL. Hoping hoping for some nice warm beach weather!
2014 Chevy Express 3500
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemusic View Post
Another teacher here, getting ready to head out in a week to Jetty Park in Cocoa Beach, FL. Hoping hoping for some nice warm beach weather!
We have reservations at Jetty Park in the fall. Have you camped there before? If so, did you like it? We saw a launch from there several years ago

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Wife and I (both teachers) are looking to do a spring break trip. Thinking Tennessee, Kentucky, or West Virginia. Any suggestions would be great. We have two kids (2 and 4) so needs to be kiddo friendly.

Thanks for the help!
Since your are coming down I75 I recommend Ky Horse Park near Lexington, and Boonesborough State Park, about 20m south. Both are in the KY State Park System, which is rated at the top. Very family friendly at both places. I did check the on line reservation page and they both have spots for the first week of April. KHP's is probably the nicer park but no sewer hook ups. Boonesborough is very nice as well and does have full hookup available. I live about 5m form the KHP and go frequently and meet RVer's from all over the country. If you going further south on I75 you can't go wrong with Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Very "touristy" but the mountains are beautiful. I recommend Pine Mtn RV Resort in Pigeon Forge. If going to West KY for LBW it's a haul and in a different direction than I-75. Good luck with your trip and I'm happy to help with any other questions about the Bluegrass State or this region.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #33

Quote:
We will be at Ron Jon Caribe Resort, next to Jetty Park, the first week of April. When looking at Google Earth I saw the campground at Jetty and remembered seeing it when we left on a cruise from Port Canaveral a year ago in Oct. I was going to check out the campground for future reference. BTW..I've been checking out the extended forecast for Cocoa that week and looks like mid 70's. I'm betting the pool and surf temps will still be cool with overnight low's still in the 50's. When will you be there?

Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriddering View Post
We have reservations at Jetty Park in the fall. Have you camped there before? If so, did you like it? We saw a launch from there several years ago
Yes, we've camped there many times. Great park! Beautiful beach, good fishing from the pier. They've even added wifi in the past year! It's cool to watch the cruise ships sail out right past the campground. Can't wait!
2014 Chevy Express 3500
Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
We will be at Ron Jon Caribe Resort, next to Jetty Park, the first week of April. When looking at Google Earth I saw the campground at Jetty and remembered seeing it when we left on a cruise from Port Canaveral a year ago in Oct. I was going to check out the campground for future reference. BTW..I've been checking out the extended forecast for Cocoa that week and looks like mid 70's. I'm betting the pool and surf temps will still be cool with overnight low's still in the 50's. When will you be there?
We're there Monday - Friday March 17-21. Right now they're calling for rain Monday - Wednesday, then sunshine on Thursday. Let's hope that changes! I've seen the Ron Jon resort from the road - looks fun with all the slides and such.
2014 Chevy Express 3500
Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #36

Quote:
We're there Monday - Friday March 17-21. Right now they're calling for rain Monday - Wednesday, then sunshine on Thursday. Let's hope that changes! I've seen the Ron Jon resort from the road - looks fun with all the slides and such.
We are there the first week of April. I hope the weather cooperates for you. Please post updates on your trip. I am sorry we will miss not meeting you but look forward to checking out the park.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
fx2

We're doing Doheny State Beach in Dana Point, Ca for Spring Break and our inaugural run with the new trailer
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote