Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #1

Stabilizing a big trailer???

I've added extra leveling jacks and just got some X-chocks. The extra jacks help a lot versus just the stab jacks. The X-chocks didn't seem to add much. The trailer still shakes and wobbles when the kids are horsing around in the bunk house. What have you done to stop the movement? I feel like I spent a bunch of money on X-chocks when I could have spent it on something more effective.
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #2

You probably want something like steadyfast. Your stabilizers like mine flex quite a bit. The new power stabilizers are easy to set up but terrible at stabilizing.

I am in the process of installing them now, Rockwoods have a wood strip under the frame so be sure to ask for longer bolts. I will report back when I am done but I can't find any negative reviews.

There are also JT strong arms that good reviews.

Linc
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

The X Chocks are only for locking the tires and stop front to back movement. They do nothing for side to side. JT Strong arm type stabilizers are the only thing that will stop the side to side movement. They will help with front to back, but they have to be deployed enough to actually put a LITTLE pressure on the frame. Stab jacks in front of the axle will stop the bounce of the tires & suspension where most of the bounce originates.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The X Chocks are only for locking the tires and stop front to back movement. They do nothing for side to side. JT Strong arm type stabilizers are the only thing that will stop the side to side movement. They will help with front to back, but they have to be deployed enough to actually put a LITTLE pressure on the frame. Stab jacks in front of the axle will stop the bounce of the tires & suspension where most of the bounce originates.

How would I mount them to prevent side to side movement? I've seen them done on the front landing gear of a fifth wheel, but how would that work on a TT?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
How would I mount them to prevent side to side movement? I've seen them done on the front landing gear of a fifth wheel, but how would that work on a TT?
They install basically the same way, only from your stabilizers to frame, and not landing gear.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
They install basically the same way, only from your stabilizers to frame, and not landing gear.

Confused?
If I install from stabilizers to frame, they would be running front to back or parallel to the frame. I need to install them somewhere under the middle of the camper....perpendicular to the frame, which is enclosed and I'm not sure if/where there is a cross member.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

Check the steadyfast website. I finished my install and they make a huge improvement

2 of them stop side to side movement and one stops front to back. Real nice product
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
I've added extra leveling jacks and just got some X-chocks. The extra jacks help a lot versus just the stab jacks. The X-chocks didn't seem to add much. The trailer still shakes and wobbles when the kids are horsing around in the bunk house. What have you done to stop the movement? I feel like I spent a bunch of money on X-chocks when I could have spent it on something more effective.

"Kids... we are camping.... go outside and horse around in the great outdoors...."

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer