Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #1

Thumbs down Strap Down Electric Awning?

Is it permissible to strap down an electric awning? We used to strap down the manual type awnings to keep them from flapping in the wind. I've been reluctant to strap down our new electric one as it seems a bit on the fragile side. It seems to be even more susceptible to flapping than the mechanical ones, it flaps in the slightest breeze. Maybe it's because it's 20 1/2' long, the longest I've ever owned. If it can be strapped it would be a lot more useful as the wind blows a lot here in Texas!
edcaroleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

There should be no reason that you couldn't other than if your awning has a Wind Sensor in it which automatically closes the awning in high winds. I would check the manufacturers website in the FAQ area. Chances are you have a A & E Awning. Here's the link.

http://www2.dometicusa.com/awnings.php?product=32

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
The awning listed by cfsoistman is the WeatherPro that has a wind sensor built in. I have a A&E 9100 Power Awning without the wind sensor. I did not find on that web page but after a google search I found it. Here it is:

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=73112

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #4

Smile

Thanks for the suggestions! My awning was manufactured by Carefree of Colorado. They didn't have a FAQ section but they did have an e-mail address to their customer service. I asked the tie-down question and they already answered! They agreed that tie-down is ok!!
edcaroleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4240dw View Post
The awning listed by cfsoistman is the WeatherPro that has a wind sensor built in. I have a A&E 9100 Power Awning without the wind sensor. I did not find on that web page but after a google search I found it. Here it is:

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=73112

David
I wonder if that link is to an older site? The other awnings are listed to the right in the products column but it didn't include your 9100. Well at least he was able to get the answer from Carefree of Colorado.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning