Old 12-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #21

So I am considering a rear camera to help. I also seriously doubt I can back in from the left. It will have to be from the right.

Great info though guys!!! Good support group. I like getting the facts and good advice.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #22
Site Team

I haven't measured mine, but I would ballbark my driveway's about the same as yours, maybe a little longer, around 40' or so. I also have to back in from the passenger side and I tend to use the whole road (much to my neighbour's disappointment) when backing in. Often times, I end up just parking it smack dab in the middle of the driveway, blocking DW's access to the garage, because I get tired of trying to jockey it into position. This is with a 29' travel trailer by model which is 34' end to end when you actually measure the tongue to the bumper.

I don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want to see you get stuck with something you find out you can't fit at home. Campgrounds you can always accommodate for by pre-planning, but you can't easily change your fit at home.

I'd see if the dealer will let you take a test drive with it where you can make sure you can make the swing in before you purchase. I know my dealer probably would. They'd probably do it right there in their lot even. Clear a spot big enough so they could mark out the size of driveway and road, and then let you try to fit the rig in. That way you'll know if you can get it home before you sign the papers.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #23

I recommend using a spotter with walkie-talkies. I back a 32 ft Rockwood 2703ws from a busy commercial street through a parking lot and a 10 ft gate next to a building with an overhang lower than the trailer. It gets easier with practice.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #24
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Practice makes perfect. Sounds like you already know how to handle backing a trailer. I use DW to help backing if needed but make sure you can always see the person in your mirror. Settle on hand signals and your good to go. Angle of attack is the key. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #25

I may have missed it here but I don't think so. The biggest mistake I see with people backing into a spot is where they start from. I guess it's intuitive that most folks think they should hug the curb on the far side of the road from the drive/spot they are backing into. This is wrong as it doesn't allow any space for the front of the tow vehicle to swing as you back into the spot. The front of the tow vehicle either hits the curb or goes into the grass on the opposite side of the road/street.
The correct method is to hug the side of the street/road that you are backing into. This allows plenty of space for the front of the tow vehicle to swing as you make the turn into the parking space.
One other key is to pull far enough forward to start the rear of the trailer turning into the parking spot SOONER than you think you really should. If you keep these small techniques in mind, you can back a trailer into almost any parking spot! Best of luck, you can do this!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #26

Suggestions for backing large trailer into tight spot

Have you considered a power dolly? I have a powercaster pc-3. I can completely turn around my 38' long 11,000lb trailer within a 55' wide area. They're a bit pricey but simple to use. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450884329.275807.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  27.5 KB

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Jones View Post
Have you considered a power dolly? I have a powercaster pc-3. I can completely turn around my 38' long 11,000lb trailer within a 55' wide area. They're a bit pricey but simple to use. Attachment 96680
-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
Yeah I have looked in to that, but for $1500
Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want to see you get stuck with something you find out you can't fit at home. Campgrounds you can always accommodate for by pre-planning, but you can't easily change your fit at home.
Well i wont get discouraged, I will try. Hence why i made that scale model to see if it can be done ,it can apparently. But I only need to bring it home when i want to wash, clean or repair it. So its not 100% needed. But again looking for thoughts, and the fact that you have a very similar setup and situation helps me know that i probably can do it.

I have looked at alternatives to me using the truck to move it, but i dont have anything that is reasonable yet that i could do / afford just to move it 10 times a year into that spot.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
Yeah I have looked in to that, but for $1500

Keep trolling Craigslist. I was able to get mine for $300.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
Well i wont get discouraged, I will try. Hence why i made that scale model to see if it can be done ,it can apparently. But I only need to bring it home when i want to wash, clean or repair it. So its not 100% needed. But again looking for thoughts, and the fact that you have a very similar setup and situation helps me know that i probably can do it.

I have looked at alternatives to me using the truck to move it, but i dont have anything that is reasonable yet that i could do / afford just to move it 10 times a year into that spot.
That actually makes it a little easier than. If it's mostly in storage, and you're only bringing it home to load/unload, repair or clean, then like me you don't really have to worry about getting it to one side of the driveway or the other. If you end up in the middle oh well, at least it's off the road.

I'd still see if the dealer will you do a test run before you buy though. Better safe than sorry.

Tags
trailer