Old 12-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #31
Site Team
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
The "scoop" method is a must and having 1 "spotter" and 0 "helpers". A "spotter" only warns of imminent danger, a "helper" will try to guide you.
X2. Wife is to yell if I'm about to hit something. Otherwise, just stay where I can see her.

2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #32
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
No... not discouraged, but just trying to understand what I'd get into. So my truck can handle 1110 lbs on hitch weight when using a WDH. It's at the limit but doable. Did you weight your tounge? What was the issue you has specifically? I have chatted to a few folks that have towed this same trailer with 1/2 tons and no complaints. Let me know. Thanks.
Yeah I have weighed tongue and rv. Loaded I'm about 7900 lbs. I fought sway. Under hard braking it pushed TV into other lane. That was the point I got the F250. I started with the Andersen WDH that didn't go well at all. Bought Blue ox that was better. Hensley I bought used that felt most comfortable. Now I have gone back to blue ox with with F250.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #33
Usually Confused Member
Wish I could help, but I've been backing (and pushing) trailers (bumper pull, gooseneck and 5th) for over 50 years and I still have problems. Well, at least I've managed to do it with a single shove maybe five times. I'm so bad at it that my friends I meet up with at the Bristol Nascar race sit around in lawn chairs and place bets on how many times I pull forward (it's a 90 backing turn into a 25 foot wide spot).
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #34
I put my trailer into a tight spot in the back yard and have had trouble seeing exactly where I want to go (unclear landmarks). My solution is to take some of the bright orange leveling blocks that that go under the TT wheels and mark my target location. This is kind of like runway lights at an airport. The method really helps at campgrounds too. With driveways you generally have better landmarks but it can still help knowing where you are going.
UltraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #35

UltraV hit the nail on the head for you. You sound like a pretty capable backer. Your trailer wheels will track where you want to park your rig so use targets such as what UltraV uses or kids sidewalk chalk, easy to see and to place your trailer's wheels on it. Give it a try.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #36
Just had similar situation when I had to back into my spot at the Titusville-Kennedy Space Center KOA. Huge tree in the spot, campers on all sides and in front. I have a 36 ft 284BH with 2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 tow vehicle. I barely have enough room to open my one slide but cant open my awning completely. I had one of the KOA workers to spot for me. I got out and surveyed the space and surrounding area. I pulled well past where I initially thought I needed. I took my time and tried to keep the wheel turns as little as I could. The back of the camper takes a while to respond and it is esy to over correct. It took a couple tries but I was able to get it in the spot. I also had to get my camper wheels over roots from the tree. I was also add practice, practice, practice or better yet go camp go camp go camp. Each time will get better. Don't get discouraged. Don't get impatient with yourself.
2013 Cherokee 284BH
2005 F250, 6L Diesel, Lariat, Quad Cab, 4X4
aerohead34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #37
A backup camera dose wonders for this issue. You don't need a spotter with the camera.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #38
Originally Posted by j free View Post
A backup camera dose wonders for this issue. You don't need a spotter with the camera.
Recommend one? I assume it'll be wired for reliability. Let me know. I think I'd like to have one anyways.
2014 Roo 21DK
2015 F150
ChibullsAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #39
Canadian Member
Although a camera would be good for hitching up and judging where the back of your TT is in relation to the back of the site (or your garage), personally, I don't think it would help me avoid obstacles. IMO, a spotter is best for that. I like the idea of using bright objects to make a target path.

I completely understand your dilemma. Here's my story.

We bought our current TT (29' model, actually 32' long) this past Spring, and took it to a Provincial Park this past summer. Site access was by narrow, one lane winding roads with big trees on both sides. It was very intimidating. I got it in the spot but no where near where I wanted it to be. I got lucky as a professional truck driver came by and offered to help - so I let him park it so I could see what he did different than I was doing. As other posters have said, he started by hugging the side of the road that the campsite was on (driver's side) but the biggest thing he did different was to start farther ahead than I did. He had to track the driver's side of the TT through some brush on the near side but got it exactly where we wanted it first time. All week I was dreading getting it out but it went fine. I got it out first try without any backing. I just had spotters ensure I didn't come close to the "hard" obstacles. That was the first time I really appreciated the shorter 145" wheelbase on my F-150.

So, I echo the advice "practice, practice, practice."

Good luck!
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #40
Well said,Wobbles!

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote