Old 12-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #41

I have been doing the scoop method without knowing it was the scoops method. I will add one suggestion. Your trailer bumper arc is going to be roughly 16'. Doing the scoop, try to get your TT tires closest to drive edge (curb) on the inside of your turn. In your turn diagram, it would be the passenger side trailer tires. That gives the TT driver's rear corner more space to swing. Backing from the opposite direction, it would be the drive's side trailer tires. You may have to go forward and back to wiggle it in. Appears you have a double wide drive, so that should put you on the driver's side of the drive where you want be. As Wobbles says, don't hesitate to get out and look for yourself. DW is a wonderful person, but seeing (for yourself) is believing. If it's tight, I may get out several times. So far, there has been no "crunch time".

Old 12-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I try to back in from drivers side with a spotter. I do this with a 32' MH and 20' car trailer. Swoop and go slow. If never did it before with a trailer, I tell people to put their hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move you hand the direction you want the trailer to go. Bumper tow only. Trailer right/hand right. Trailer left/hand left
I'm an old semi driver, my first trl. was a tt. and i still worked the stering wheel the same with my hand on the top of the wheel for the simple reason your hand doesn't get stuck in your lap. Plus it's easier to tell left from rt. when turning it. It don't make any difference whether i back in on my driver side or blind side it in a spot one major thing you should watch only one of the mirrors forbacking in straight the other is for pedestrians and obstructions on blind side use the right and for good side the left mirror it was good advice to me 35yrs ago and it still applies today. I backed a 53 ft. trl in to a dock from a 2 lane road using 1 mirror if i can do it anyone can. My 5th wheel is 43 ft. no problem its easier the longer it is!

Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
SLOW movements and Do NOT have LOT's of HELPER's! Youroo!!
TOO FUNNY !!!! My wife and I have backing into a campsite down pat by now. But one time last season, when parking the trailer, a "too friendly" camping neighbor decided that he was way better a giving directions, complete with absolutely mysterious hand and arm gestures, than my wife was. The result was a complete nightmare. Finally, after much frustration, finally had to rather forcefully (but respectfully) suggest that we didn't need, or want his assistance.

...VTX-Al
Old 12-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #44

I had same thing happen last year sort of. I was getting ready to hook up to leave and campsite neighbor speared out of nowhere. Took me longer to hook up with his help then it does with me doing it myself.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #45

I have a 29" TT (33.5 ft over all) and tow it with a crew cab Ram 1500 short bed.

If you absolutely must make the turn from the passenger side, it would be very helpful if you have power mirrors. I will move that passenger mirror all over the place if I need to so that I can always see my TT tires (the ones on the inside of the turn) tracking on the edge of the pavement.

Practice until you know by feel how much distance it takes to begin taking direction corrections. Pull up way past your drive, adjust your mirrors to see the tires of the TT, and follow the edge of the pavement right on around.

Depending on where your axles are, and how much hangover there is, you may have to worry about things like mailboxes or trees on the driver side as you back it in.

My husband (yes, you read that right) stays where I can see him in the mirrors and only tells me if i'm going to hit something, or when I've reached my final parking spot. If I can't see him, I stop moving. He gets the hint and finds me in the mirror.

Remember you can pull forward slightly and readjust to allow for more maneuverability.

I tried the Swoop method, never got the hang of it. Maybe i was pulling too far to the opposide side of the street exiting my swoop. Not sure but I always ran out of room for the truck to swing around, so I gave up on it. I'm in the "stay close to the side you're backing into" camp which leaves me plenty of room to swing out. As long as I start out far enough forward of my turn, all works great.

Good luck! Go find a parking lot and use some cones or lynx blocks to mark your spots.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
TOO FUNNY !!!! My wife and I have backing into a campsite down pat by now. But one time last season, when parking the trailer, a "too friendly" camping neighbor decided that he was way better a giving directions, complete with absolutely mysterious hand and arm gestures, than my wife was. The result was a complete nightmare. Finally, after much frustration, finally had to rather forcefully (but respectfully) suggest that we didn't need, or want his assistance.

...VTX-Al
Been there, done that.

Full disclosure, i'm about to go off on a rant... so skip it if you don't want to hear it!

I'm a 41yo female who does 99% of the towing and 100% of the backing up with an admittedly young looking 33 yo husband.

We pull up and survey, and hot young thing husband hops out to spot (ok, I might be partial... but still.. he looks young for his age).

Seeing how I'm the backer-upper and my husband is the spotter, more often than not some well-meaning retired dude will come try to "assist me". PSA: Yes women can back 34 ft trailers up! Even blondes. I promise.

We've had to be borderline rude (rolling up my window with some dude standing at it still trying to dictate what i should do after being asked nicely multiple times to let us be). We were in no way struggling. We've done it 100 times. We've never hit anything. I've yet to NOT get into a spot within 5 minutes IF people will leave us alone. Once they start coming up, interrupting, flailing arms, literally trying to convince me that they'd be happy to do it for me (as if I would ever let some stranger take control of a new truck and new TT... I don't think so dude... if one of us is scraping this puppy up, it's gonna be me!) it just takes longer.

I get it... we look young. The truck and trailer look new. It's not common for the wife to be the one in charge of backing up a big-arse TT. We aren't conventional. But we ARE completely functional and, frankly, pretty darned good at it.

So hey, I understand wanting to be friendly and helpful. If someone looks like they are struggling, ask if they'd like some help. But if they say "no, we do this all the time, we're good" then go sit in your lawn chair with a beer and laugh it up but leave them alone!

Sorry... rant over. I just have a hard time believing MEN have this many offers to "help" the instant they arrive at campgrounds. I'm somehow like an old-man magnet... I swear there is no "damsel in distress" sticker anywhere on our vehicle!
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Been there, done that.

Full disclosure, i'm about to go off on a rant... so skip it if you don't want to hear it!

I'm a 41yo female who does 99% of the towing and 100% of the backing up with an admittedly young looking 33 yo husband.

We pull up and survey, and hot young thing husband hops out to spot (ok, I might be partial... but still.. he looks young for his age).

Seeing how I'm the backer-upper and my husband is the spotter, more often than not some well-meaning retired dude will come try to "assist me". PSA: Yes women can back 34 ft trailers up! Even blondes. I promise.

We've had to be borderline rude (rolling up my window with some dude standing at it still trying to dictate what i should do after being asked nicely multiple times to let us be). We were in no way struggling. We've done it 100 times. We've never hit anything. I've yet to NOT get into a spot within 5 minutes IF people will leave us alone. Once they start coming up, interrupting, flailing arms, literally trying to convince me that they'd be happy to do it for me (as if I would ever let some stranger take control of a new truck and new TT... I don't think so dude... if one of us is scraping this puppy up, it's gonna be me!) it just takes longer.

I get it... we look young. The truck and trailer look new. It's not common for the wife to be the one in charge of backing up a big-arse TT. We aren't conventional. But we ARE completely functional and, frankly, pretty darned good at it.

So hey, I understand wanting to be friendly and helpful. If someone looks like they are struggling, ask if they'd like some help. But if they say "no, we do this all the time, we're good" then go sit in your lawn chair with a beer and laugh it up but leave them alone!

Sorry... rant over. I just have a hard time believing MEN have this many offers to "help" the instant they arrive at campgrounds. I'm somehow like an old-man magnet... I swear there is no "damsel in distress" sticker anywhere on our vehicle!
That's purdy cool. I'm 43 DW is 50 I usually do all driving and backing, but we share she does the backing when it comes to hitching she has a hard time judging which way to go or how much to turn until you're to close to do anything. That being said she has been driving 18' landscapers for years. She could jump behind the wheel at any time. I don't know if I could get enough meds in me to ride comfortably though. She likes to travel but hates driving unless she is on her motorcycle.
We had arrived at a CG we could see the camping neighbor put his beer down and start to head over to "help". We were 80% in when he finally got there. He said "wow, we had 3 people spotting a pop up and it 45 mins to get it in. You must do this all the time." To be smart I said "It's our third time out."

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #48

I have a Flagstaff 29FBSS which is almost 35' hitch to bumper and tow with a short bed F150. My driveway situation sounds much like yours. I swear by the scoop method. Makes it a lot easier. I prefer pulling in from the drivers side but can do it from the passenger. And I have no problem letting the men campers know that this lady can back it up by herself without a helper. If my sons aren't with me, then I will gladly get out as often as I need to and make sure I'm clear.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Been there, done that.

I'm also a 41 yr old female with younger dh (38). I too do 99% of driving and 100% of the backing. I've had guys sit out and watch waiting for me to hit something. I've had guys try to "help" and get me into a Bind. DH is my only "helper" and he is more of a safety net than anything. I get more comments on my backing skills. I too can't help but think it's because I'm female. Women can drive and back these things... just don't ask me to drive a semi. I didn't do too well with that.

Bottom line OP. Continue what worked for you with the smaller tt, it will likely work for the bigger tt.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #50

Hats off to anyone that has mastered these tasks. Practice is the rule. My buddy is a farmer that has huge equipment, I have enjoyed the shock on his guests faces when they see his 9 year old boy climb up into a 4WD Versitle and head out to a field.

My date made note of it to him and he replied "That boy operates heavy equipment better than most men I know".

Something like this:
Attached Images

Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer