Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #51
Since this has turned into a (Boy/Girl/Man/Women/Dude) Show I can Only Evaluate it Properly by using this Icon ! Youroo!!

youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #52
Practice in a large empty parking lot. Use cones or empty milk bottles.

Consider installing a front receiver hitch on your TV. Some people do this because you can more easily see, and because you can more easily/quickly turn the trailer.

2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS, 2006 F-350 6.0L
DickiedooFlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #53
Site Team
A few comments:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I'd still see if the dealer will you do a test run before you buy though. Better safe than sorry.
I made this deal with my salesman... he agreed I could walk if I were not satisfied with its tow-ability. I hitched up and we took off with the salesman in the front passenger seat and "helpful" b-i-l in the back seat. Drove onto the interstate, through the streets of a small town, in and out of spots on the dealership lot AND a near 90 degree backing exercise.

2. The comments in this thread very helpful including the use of power mirrors to see tires, corners, etc., when backing - especially turning to the passenger side.

3. Other comments help us all to know there's no need to have expectations on the gender of a person doing the backing nor the one doing the "STOP, STOP!" communications.
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #54
About the camera: my two cents. I have a wired and decent camera on both the trailer and truck. Frankly, I can't see any advantage to the camera for backing into tight spots. That said, I wouldn't be without a camera on a trailer as large as your's and mine when traveling. Mine is 35' less in length minus an inch or two.

A feature I use it the microphone in the camera. I raise the speaker volume to be able to hear DW (or other spotter). Our's might be unique situation but my DW never uses the same hand signal twice ! But, if I can get her to speak what she "wants" it sometimes helps.

Most helpers / spotters don't indicate when all is well as you begin moving, which I like to know. If they just stand there silently, you don't know how you are doing. Also, many or most folks seem to think (don't know) the truck / trailer can make sudden and physically impossible corrections.

I also find that flipping my mirrors back to normal (from towing) helps, as well as using the convex lens.

Many camping couples, switch drivers for backing. Seems as though a man can give better directions (possibly) and for sure a woman can follow instructions better (typically). I've seen this work far better than vice versa.

Funny story: I tried to help a newbie couple (camper and truck just bought) earlier this year get into a spot with limited room to maneuver; he was getting frustrated and I approached cautiously (!). I would tell him to turn one way a little and he would go to steering lock... then he cut back the other way, since he thought he knew better. I could see this going nowhere; I convinced him to let the little lady drive, and the first try we had the trailer in spot and in its most level part. She simply did what I asked. I don't how well he could direct and didn't want to tempt fate. She was so proud to have gotten the job done so easily. They were a nice couple with a couple of sweet little girls that brought me coffee twice.
XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #55
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Since this has turned into a (Boy/Girl/Man/Women/Dude) Show I can Only Evaluate it Properly by using this Icon ! Youroo!!
Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #56
Experience by Repair
I would still use the scoop method on passenger side backing as well. The other posts are spot on. It is longer, but will respond slower and may actually be easier to back in once you get your distances figured out....smoother corners and not so abrupt and quick.....helps me the longer they are, actually. Keep your eyes on the trailer tires as you start the turn and have them as tight to the inside corner of you grass as you can as it will give you more room to maneuver the truck. I just started pulling a 43' .....that's a big change from the 30' flatbed I am used to...even though a 5th wheel it changes your whole perspective of eyeballing the area before you dare enter!!!
JJ XLR Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #57
Usually Confused Member
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post

Many camping couples, switch drivers for backing. Seems as though a man can give better directions (possibly) and for sure a woman can follow instructions better (typically). I've seen this work far better than vice versa.

I see you've never met my wife. At least it's better when she ignores me.
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #58
Who Dares, Wins
Women sure can follow directions better than us men can.. As long as it is not coming from their DH... LOL Then the SD (selective deafness) kicks in!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #59
WolfWistle, well put. The problem here is that the spotter doesn't understand the dynamics of the backing process because they have not done it. They don't know that the driver has a view disadvantage. Worse yet, the spotter stands where you can't see them. I tell the spotter that if they can't see me in the mirror, I can't see them to giving directions-or no directions. It is quite possible that they don't want to get blamed if something happens. It is clear that this is pretty common. Our son is pretty ept at backing, so when he is the spotter, clear direction and in line of vision are excellent. He moves around from side to side to make sure things are going well. Even then, I will exit to survey where I am and plan the maneuvers.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #60
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
Does this work with a 5th wheel ??

grumpyt55 is offline   Reply With Quote