Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #61
Who Dares, Wins

I do not see why not, the pivot point is different than a TT but the concept is still the same.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I try to back in from drivers side with a spotter. I do this with a 32' MH and 20' car trailer. Swoop and go slow. If never did it before with a trailer, I tell people to put their hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move you hand the direction you want the trailer to go. Bumper tow only. Trailer right/hand right. Trailer left/hand left
One thing that also helps your spotter and the driver is 2-way radios! I have Mrs. Ornery stand in my blind spot side to make sure I won't hit anything.
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #63
Jeffco, MO

Night Backing

Any suggestions on backing in at night would be appreciated. DW with a flashlight only gives you one point of reference. I put the corner of the 5er at the light , but was crooked in the pad.
Thanks for the comments.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #64

I too have been doing the "swoop" for way too many years, without knowing it had a "name". But, it is exactly right and thanks for sharing the video.

Even the swoop (so called) has limitations when pulling long trailers on narrow roads.

What I see many people doing; that I am also prone to do, is to not pull up far enough.

If alone, I often get out and lay down targets for my inside trailer tires to "hit" no matter the direction I am backing. That might be a piece of flora or fauna or what have you. Naturally, it has to be in view.

A good driver is just as likely to be a woman than a man. A lot of that depends on confidence and skill of the individual and it is absolutely not gender specific. Unwarranted confidence can be dangerous. For example, the best concrete truck driver I have ever seen was a woman. She could put the truck exactly where it needed to be and deliver the heavy wet stuff like she could read minds. And, never hurt the equipment, like so many men did.

I am a born helper, but DO NOT help unless asked. If I witness serious struggling, it is hard for me not to help. I might move closer and if I get a hint or a sad look I will smile and ask if help is needed (but never driving) and like to turn the opportunity into a learning event, then move away while they are setting up.

My DW can do anything with a loader / tractor she wants to, but prefers that I do the driving when I'm there... its her conviction not based on reality; she has the skills, but the way she was raised, the man does the driving. I will ask her to drive while backing up while arriving or hooking back up before leaving very often.
WW

Oh, about backing at night. If its into a site with hazards, such as tree limbs, other vehicles, etc., it is going to take a good spotter with a good flashlight and considerably more time, at least it would for me. I would use the same methods, just be far slower and more careful. I have done it and I do not like it at all and avoid late arrivals as much as possible.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #65

I put a receiver on the front of my truck for moving my three trailers around my very tight property . Make the job so easy....
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #66
Site Team

I'm a solo female RVer and have done all of the backing into sites except twice. Once I gave up too soon because of blocking traffic and the second time because I wasn't feeling well and I needed another set of eyes.

On one trip as I was lining up to.back in neighbors came out with chairs and drinks to watch. Really?? Ha ha....got it in where I wanted it on the first attempt. Didn't see those neighbors again until I was backing up to hitch up.

I only keep one hand on the steering wheel but will try keeping it on top next time.
I don't mind helpers but only after its clear I might need some help.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #67
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post
Any suggestions on backing in at night would be appreciated. DW with a flashlight only gives you one point of reference. I put the corner of the 5er at the light , but was crooked in the pad.
Thanks for the comments.
Member 1l243 did a nice job installing lights on the back of his trailer. See this http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hts-76205.html

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #68

I've found that the Sharx observation camera I installed has awesome infrared capability for backing up. Really clear picture.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post

Thanks for the comments.

Seen glow sticks where they wanted tires to be. I want to see my tires to the place I have picked out either on the ground or in my head and you see if you are getting off the path. Either correct if not much or pull up to get the right angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Jones View Post
Have you considered a power dolly? I have a powercaster pc-3. I can completely turn around my 38' long 11,000lb trailer within a 55' wide area. They're a bit pricey but simple to use. Attachment 96680

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL

Mind if I borrow your toy? Ha ha.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #71

Backup up camper with the DW's help is the number cause of divorce in the RV community. Don't do it!

Congress needs to mandate pull thru rv camping spots nationally.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Backup up camper with the DW's help is the number cause of divorce in the RV community. Don't do it!

Congress needs to mandate pull thru rv camping spots nationally.
That is one of a three way tie. The other two are, canoeing and setting up a tent.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #73

I have gone from, " I can't understand directions from a statue" to "I have never flown off an aircraft carrier' to "Yes, dear, but I just want to see for myself." Thankfully, DW will not sleep in a tent or get in a canoe. Safe there!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #74

My first trip, I asked the DW to get out and watch out, she walked behind the TT. I stopped, got out, and walked behind the TT and just stared at her. Her response was "What? I was giving you the thumbs up!".

When I came back down to earth, I explained that we have to be able to see each other in the mirrors to communicate.

It took a few trips working my best to avoid using a spotter that was on my skill level. I got a lot better fast and so did our trips together.

She now says she worries about me traveling and parking without her.

My blood pressure is constant now. Just took practice.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #75

Well after careful consideration... if we end up with a travel trailer that long for my situation, the cheapest and easiest is to get a front mount hitch receiver. For 200 it is always with me for any situation. I never considered it until all of you chimed in with your thoughts and this is the one that fit my needs best. You guys (and gals) are great!
Old 12-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #76

You always back in slightly unhook, change truck angle and finish backing too. You would not need to set up wdh for that.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #77

PenJoe too funny! I can't see the advantage of a front hitch with a house in front of me and my mirrors the wrong way (yikes!)... For an open trailer or boat maybe. Not to mention max weigh would be about 500# and my TW might be over 1200#. Someone has to 'splain it slower. I'd need one of those ground guides!
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #78

Wolf Whistle,

Go visit a large RV dealer and you will see them moving huge TTs with a forklift with the hitch on the front. You can see surprisingly well. You no longer need your mirrors because you can see everything looking forward.

The pivot point is shortened by a lot between the front axles and front-mounted hitch compared to the front axle and rear hitch.

You're only using this method for the last 100 yards or less to get it right where you want it, so most people are not overly concerned about effect on payload while moving 2 mph for 5 min. The weight is on the steer axles, so there is no adverse affect on steering for having the added TW on the front of the truck.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #79

I've been moving trailers around my property with a front mounted hitch for years. And many trailers much bigger and heavier than the typical travel trailer. Nothing could be easier. You still might need spotters, but if you have a wireless camera on the rear of the trailer, NOTHING could be easier. You simply "drive" the trailer into the spot you want.

If you have a girly man TV, this might not work. But with any good sized "manly" truck, you can easily put 1000+ pounds on a front hitch to move a trailer around at 2mph.

And a front mounted hitch also works great for:
Removable Winch
Bike Rack
Spare Tire
BBQ Grill
Machinist Vise
Removable Rifle Rest
Battering Ram
Removable Snow Plow
Etc

Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #80

"Manly truck" and post pic of a Dodge. Too funny!

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer