Old 11-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #1

Surge Protection

We have a 2019 17bhs and are newbies, so if this isn't really an issue, let me know. If electricity is such a problem, why isn't there some type of surge protection built in? I know the word boat is just an acronym for "break out another thousand," but this ot is just as bad when you have to drop $500 every other day. Thanks for letting me rant.

ssratcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssratcm View Post
We have a 2019 17bhs and are newbies, so if this isn't really an issue, let me know. If electricity is such a problem, why isn't there some type of surge protection built in? I know the word boat is just an acronym for "break out another thousand," but this ot is just as bad when you have to drop $500 every other day. Thanks for letting me rant.
Kind of depends on your preference and where you camp.

If you can check polarity voltage and ground on your own and you don't camp on busy holidays where people use AC when voltage drop is most prevalent you may be able to get by. Personally I am not willing to make the gamble so I bought one.

Yea RVs require a lot of cash right when you buy them for some necessary gear. The trick is figuring out what is necessary for you. An EMS to me was top of the must have list. After the initial must haves the major costs are gas assuming you can get your hands dirty and work on things yourself.

I look at it like this, my new home did not come with curtains, furniture, appliances, surge suppressor, hoses, or much landscaping. New major purchases require a additional investment and hobbies require that as well.

Happy camping!

dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
clr

Some of the very high end units do have surge protection built in most units do not though, the reason cost that the customer does not see at the time of purchase. If you have a 30 amp unit, or may be able to get by with a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and a normal circuit tester available from any big box store that will insure that plug you are going to use for your unit is wired properly. So for 20-30 dollars you should be able to get by, but with no surge protection. 30 amp surge protection and plug wiring check type units are the next step up and run about 120 150 dollars. If you want the full meal deal protection type EMS than you are in the 300+ dollar range. Good luck on your decision.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssratcm View Post
Surge Protection Update

I found a great way to reduce the cost and still have all the bells and whistles. It requires a little sweat equity and just a little knowledge of electricity/electronics. I am going wth seperate pieces. Start with an over/under voltage monitoring relay. This will disconnect a set of contacts and come with or without a reconnection timer. After this, you only need a surge protector. If you have 3 MOV's (minimum), some coils, and capacitors, you can make a really decent device. If you want a display, deconstruct a $5.00 socket tester. This doesn't have to be an iceberg heading for your Titanic wallet.
ssratcm is offline   Reply With Quote