Old 01-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Can I ask what you are smoking? No one mentioned any smoke anywhere.

As for the voltage, it is right. It is the red wire and connected to the terminal marked +7.5 on the stat so it is right.

Jim
Hi it is a term used by electronic control technicians when a circuit board fails. When the board fails the component on the board that failed will let some smoke out when it burns out or fails.
So my next ? is The red wire which is on the R terminal powers the thermostat. The voltage from R to W G Y terminals with the thermostat in the off position should be 12 volts. If it is less than 9.5 volts the control board on the furnace is engineered to not let the furnace start.
Is the unit plugged into 110 volt shore power or house power. The furnace is a real power hog and will kill a battery very fast.
My assumption is that it is as you stated that the electric heater could not keep the unit warm so it is plugged in. Is your battery low on water or an older battery and failing?

Hope This Helps Tim

Old 01-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I assume you are plugged in as you were running electric heat. You say you have less than 12V on the furnace power then that is your problem. The furnace and fridge have a safety feature that will not allow them to run if the 12V source is too low. Check your converter, the high current battery protection fuses and the battery. What is the voltage at the battery terminals. Is it possible there was a power surge/failure when you were away and a fuse blew.
Bob,

As stated I have a terminal marked +7.5 VDC and it has 7.5 to 8.0 VDC on it. I had considered changing this old analog stat once and this is the voltage it had then and the heater worked right, with no problems. The AC also worked as it should.

My thermostat has six terminals. They are marked as follows from left to right. +7.5, cool, fur, hi, hi, fan, grn. Reading voltage from the terminal to the grn terminal (this is the negative battery terminal) I read +7.5 VDC, +7.5, 13, 13, 13, negative (ground). This is with it connected to shore power and the cool / heat switch set to off.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #13

I just realized I left everyone hanging on this problem. After driving myself crazy I decided to replace the stat. Guess what, it was a bad thermostat! After getting everything working right I checked the old stat and found a bad, broken, solder joint from the terminal to the board. Sometimes it would make, other times it would not. My 70 pound dog running inside would cause enough vibration to cause it to work or not. The new stat is working great!

Thanks everyone for trying to help, I appreciate it!

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank