Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
hmmmm...less draw than a 1156 backup lamp bulb. that and the previous posters 7 year no issues post and prospects look good.
I agree, and if it weren't for the $1100+ price tag I'd order one today but alas I'll just have to wait until my current w/h goes caput and continue to take fast shower in the meantime

2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:47 AM   #22

Does anyone have a noise issue with their tankless water heater? Our 5th wheel has it ordered in it. Well we have used it once, as we just got it and found the tankless to be loud and have some kind of a vibration. Also, runs for a while after the hot water is shut off.
Please let me know your takes, barrie1

PS. I love the concept, if only it were quieter.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #23

We have a Suburban 6 gallon gas/electric sitting in my living room waiting to be installed. The on demand is a nice idea but if you camp without hookups it can be an issue. You need a certain amount of water flow to make it work so when doing dishes you can't just trickle hat water to rinse dishes so we use more water. It takes power to run the induced draft fan whenever you use it, even if it is only 2 amps. Granted our model is the older one without the temperature dial, we only have the hi/low switch. When it gets cold I could not get the water warm enough for my liking and when it is warm out the water was always too hot.

I have the equipment to check gas pressures and operation as I have been in the HVAC field and machine maintenance fielder a number of years, and it seem this is running the way it is designed to. We also have the "winter use device" on this unit, which when it is below 38 degrees if I remember right, it will run a cycle to keep the heat exchanger from freezing.

The unit is propane only also, so when we are at a campground with electric we still burn propane for hot water.

Maybe the new ones are better but I was not impressed.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #24

Tankless water heater

Thank you for your input. I'm thinking we may have the same issue when we are using our pump dry camping.
We noticed it was extremely hard to dial in the water temp. in the shower.
When the temp. is finally tuned in, then someone uses the kitchen sink, well it changes everything.
I figured out if we turn down the temp. control all way to minimum and don't mix in cold then it will prevent getting scolding.
Anyways, we are still in a learning process. We may end up with the 6 gallon tank after all. Is that a big expense to swap out? And will it fit in there cleanly? Just wondering.
Thanks, barrie1
Old 05-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #25

My Wildcat came with a tankless water heater and it was nothing but trouble. I replaced it with a 6 gallon Suburban and am happy now. I worked with the factory but the problem (I think) is that campers have varied water pressures and incoming water temperature depending one where you are. Ours would be adjusted to the right temp, then it would cycle between scalding and freezing you out in the shower. The factory could not come up with a solution. When I had ours replaced, the dealer had others that they also replaced. Don't mess with a proven technology. Stay with the tank type.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-08-2015, 02:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv View Post
My Wildcat came with a tankless water heater and it was nothing but trouble. I replaced it with a 6 gallon Suburban and am happy now. I worked with the factory but the problem (I think) is that campers have varied water pressures and incoming water temperature depending one where you are. Ours would be adjusted to the right temp, then it would cycle between scalding and freezing you out in the shower. The factory could not come up with a solution. When I had ours replaced, the dealer had others that they also replaced. Don't mess with a proven technology. Stay with the tank type.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Thanks for you response Johny. That's about where we are at.
By the way, what did the dealer charge you to swap the tankless out to the Suburban?

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater