Old 08-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
We are planning on replacing our bumper pull trailer this winter with a 5th wheel. I want to test drive some, but don't know, and never heard of a dealership that will allow this. I will install the hitch and wiring so that won't be an issue. Presently, we own a 2500 HD gasser with 4.10 gears and want to keep it. I'm experienced with pulling goose neck stock and flat bed trailers but not with this truck. Will dealerships allow hooking and test driving their 5th wheels for sale? I doubt if we'll purchase one if I can't.
How about a rental? Its a good way to have some time to decide what you want/don't want in a 5er

https://rvshare.com/rv-rental/missou...=Fifth%20Wheel

Old 08-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #22

Have you called a few dealers and asked them if they will let you test drive?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #23

Hubby and I have been saying the same question. What is it like to haul a 5er? How about a Class A? We always had a TT. In about 3 years (fingers crossed) we hope to be f/t in our "new home". We just don't know if we want a Class A or 5er. It is the driving that will help mostly on the choice. I personally love the insides of a 5er than Class A. A friend directed us to Lazy Days RV Dealership. You Goggle them you will find they are in 3 states. Now the one in FL will let you stay in a unit you might buy and stay in there campground to see if you like it. We are thinking of trying this down the road to see if it helps our decision. Hope this helped you some.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Every dealer that I have worked with when buying my three 5er's they would not allow a test drive of a unit. Why? Insurance reasons who will pay for the damages to a 5er if you do not own the unit. The dealer does not carry that type of insurance on a trailer for sale and you do not have insurance for that unit if you are just looking at buying.

Now I towed my first 5er twice with a gas engine truck and I told my DW that either we buy a new diesel truck or sell the 5er we just bought. You are kidding yourself if you think you can pull a trailer around 10,000 LBS and not use a diesel engine. My 6L Chevy gas engine would climb to over 2500 RPM's just to get the load to move and we could never pass a gas station without filling up the gas tank. Try pulling into a gas pump lane with a 5er that is 30+ FT long and at least 12'.6" high and try and maneuver this into a gas pump lane and out. Cars are zipping in and out and will not allow you the clearance needed to get in and out safely. My fuel mileage was around 6 to 7 MPG with a gas engine. I get between 10.5 and 11.5 MPG's when pulling a heavier trailer and taller 5er with my diesel engine truck.
just my $0.02

I realize that different areas of the country offer different gas station experiences, but I see the argument way to much... I rolled for several years to drag strips with a 32' gas motorhome and a 24' (sometimes 32') enclosed trailer behind me and never had issues with filling up.

Of all of the arguments to get a diesel or not, this is the weakest. Just this past weekend, I rolled my 43' fiver and EC long bed truck through a regular diesel pump lane coming out of myrtle beach. I also fill it up at several stations near home and on the way to other destinations without issue. On the way to the Outer Banks a few weeks ago, I pulled into a small station on HWY 64 (about 40 miles from the island) and filled up and then backed straight out of the station the same way I came in.

Buy a diesel for the power, torque, ride, etc.... Don't buy it for the fueling experience. Learn to maneuver your rig to improve fueling experience.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #25

I'm not saying I'm an expert or professional driver, but I have been towing boats, snowmobile trailers, horse trailers, and now campers long enough to know that at least around here it can be challenge to get gas at many locations. It certainly isn't the reason I wanted a diesel, but it sure is a plus.

And to the OP, I realized the term joyride was probably not the best way to put it when I typed it and forgot to go back to change it. Not what I meant. I personally never asked to take a 5er for a test pull so all I can say is it can't hurt to ask.

2015 Nights Camped: 23
2016 Nights Camped: 27
2017 Nights Camped: 5
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
I'm not saying I'm an expert or professional driver, but I have been towing boats, snowmobile trailers, horse trailers, and now campers long enough to know that at least around here it can be challenge to get gas at many locations. It certainly isn't the reason I wanted a diesel, but it sure is a plus.

And to the OP, I realized the term joyride was probably not the best way to put it when I typed it and forgot to go back to change it. Not what I meant. I personally never asked to take a 5er for a test pull so all I can say is it can't hurt to ask.
Good Advise. I never meant for this to be a gas vs diesel forum. Lord knows that'll never be settled, but this is why I've enjoyed your opinions/advise and have learned so much. I just want to get what I know best, and what my equipment can handle.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #27

If you stay small you will be ok. If you want a 30 footer or larger you will be flat on the floor everywhere you go.If you go big get a diesel.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #28
Site Team

I think a rental idea is a great idea.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel