Old 08-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Test Driving a 5th Wheel

We are planning on replacing our bumper pull trailer this winter with a 5th wheel. I want to test drive some, but don't know, and never heard of a dealership that will allow this. I will install the hitch and wiring so that won't be an issue. Presently, we own a 2500 HD gasser with 4.10 gears and want to keep it. I'm experienced with pulling goose neck stock and flat bed trailers but not with this truck. Will dealerships allow hooking and test driving their 5th wheels for sale? I doubt if we'll purchase one if I can't.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Possibly, if you show you are serious, but IMO, if you are familiar with GN what more do you want to see? If your pickup will pull it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 08-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardbucket107 View Post
Possibly, if you show you are serious, but IMO, if you are familiar with GN what more do you want to see? If your pickup will pull it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yes, exactly and how well does it pull on interstates sharing the road with the big boys.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
Yes, exactly and how well does it pull on interstates sharing the road with the big boys.
A lot better than your bumper pull. If you have pulled a bumper pull and a GN then the 5th wheel will be no issue. Are you worried about towing performance or the capability of your TV?

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
A lot better than your bumper pull. If you have pulled a bumper pull and a GN then the 5th wheel will be no issue. Are you worried about towing performance or the capability of your TV?
Both, I've had dealers tell me I can easily pull more trailer than what my owners manual says I can. "No problem, they're just protecting themselves".
Old 08-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

What size 5ver are you thinking about? The dealer will tell you that you can pull the space shuttle to make the sale.

I'm sure there are others on the site that have the same TV as you and can give you some empirical data...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
A friend of mine once "test towed" an RV trailer, so I know that there's at least one dealer that allows it.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #8
Site Team

I think it's more a matter of making sure you can comfortably and safely tow the fiver you buy. Here is an online towing capacity calculator to help you better figure out what you can safely tow. The limiting factor of a 2500 series truck is its payload. Use the calculator to help keep you within all of your specs. If you stay within all of your specs (payload, tow capacity, rear axle weight rating) you will be fine towing a fiver. They do handle much better than the tt. Backing and turning are the big differences but if you are used to driving a gooseneck those shouldn't be an issue for you.

I have never seen anyone allow a test tow but it doesn't hurt to ask.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I think it's more a matter of making sure you can comfortably and safely tow the fiver you buy. Here is an online towing capacity calculator to help you better figure out what you can safely tow. The limiting factor of a 2500 series truck is its payload. Use the calculator to help keep you within all of your specs. If you stay within all of your specs (payload, tow capacity, rear axle weight rating) you will be fine towing a fiver. They do handle much better than the tt. Backing and turning are the big differences but if you are used to driving a gooseneck those shouldn't be an issue for you.

I have never seen anyone allow a test tow but it doesn't hurt to ask.
I'm one of those that'll ask anything, especially if I'm going to spend $70,000+ for a travelling house! All I'm asking here is if anyone knows of dealerships that will allow you to test drive an RV, whether it's Class A, B, C or any kind of trailer? I've read too many posts of purchasers being disappointed about the lack of pulling power or suspension after bringing their rig home after their first camping experience. I've also heard too many stories of buyers getting behind the wheel of monstrous motor homes that haven't a clue, or physical abilities to operate it. Scary!

For your information, the GVWR of our TV is 9600 lbs and can tow maximum of 12,000 lbs.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
I'm one of those that'll ask anything, especially if I'm going to spend $70,000+ for a travelling house! All I'm asking here is if anyone knows of dealerships that will allow you to test drive an RV, whether it's Class A, B, C or any kind of trailer? I've read too many posts of purchasers being disappointed about the lack of pulling power or suspension after bringing their rig home after their first camping experience. I've also heard too many stories of buyers getting behind the wheel of monstrous motor homes that haven't a clue, or physical abilities to operate it. Scary!

For your information, the GVWR of our TV is 9600 lbs and can tow maximum of 12,000 lbs.

What is your payload? The pin weight on a 12,000 lb 5er will be 2,400 or more.

What is the GVWR of the 5er you are looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
5th wheel, wheel