Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #11

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I dont know where people are getting the idea to lubracate the bars on equalizer hitches..I know they make alot of noise but thats where it (the hitch)gets its sway control from, the friction and tightness of the bolts. Ive seen on many threads here that people are lubricating the crap out of them because of the noise. I have a equalizer and the manual states not to over lubricate the bars. Just a thought !

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #12

Dakota,

Looking at your original posts, you mentioned you want to trade because of some towing problems, you also talk about length and fitting into tight spots.

"Towing problems" is pretty broad, if you could state specifics then we would better understand your needs.

Such as we all naturally assume that it has to do with sway or truck sagging, which can be fixed with WD and sway control hitches, but your issue could be due to length instead of weight and you are tired of hitting curbs when turning. A 5er tracks different and you may find the same problem even with a shorter 5er.

That is just one example, if you can identify what are your "towing problems" then we can better make suggestions to encourage you keeping your trailer or support your intent to trade.

Agreed - whoever stands at making a profit from any of your decisions can't always be the one to trust, we're not going to make anything so you can trust those comments here

Old 04-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #13

The towing problems were sway issues. Mostly at highway speeds. I have not had as much a problem with this since we installed the Equalizer 4 point system but it seems to be on the verge of swaying when I get over 55 or 60 mph. I think this may have something to do with the grease problem that I spoke about earlier. I am going to clean the bars and try them without any grease to see if that helps. I may have also had a problem with the tires on my TV. They are 10 ply. According to the tire sidewall these tires should have 80 lbs air pressure. I was running them around 45 lbs because the shop that sold the tires to me recommended that pressure. I raised the rear tire pressure to 80 lbs and the front tire pressure to 70 lbs. This seemed to help some when I had to pull the trailer back home last week from the dealership after it was returned from the factory.

Another question that I have is - Could the bars on the Equalize hitch be too heavy for my unit? They are 1200 lbs bars. This unit is supposed to be around 750 to 800 lbs Dry hitch weight. I am wondering if the 1200 lbs bars may be too heavy for the trailer. I probable need to get the trailer weighted when it is loaded to see what actual weight I am carrying.

Thanks again, Freddie

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 128
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #14

After you get the grease cleaned off, you might try these to help with the noise.
Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts

I don't think the 1200 lb bars are a problem. This came up on a thread awhile back and one member contacted Equal-i-zer and they said it shouldn't be a problem using heavier bars. I contacted my trailer manufacturer and they said they haven't ever heard of a problem either.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #15

As for the 1200 lbs bars, probably a good fit for your trailer, I have #1000 bars with about 600 tongue weight, I don't think that is a problem.

Tire pressure is a huge factor, as low pressure allows for a smoother ride in your truck unloaded, but loaded presents as a weakness in your sidewalls, allowing them to squash which makes them squirm when the trailer starts to sway, as stated by many others the sway bars need friction to function properly, so that too will help.

Hopefully you will be able to identify solutions to address the sway, obviously you like the trailer in the first place.

The other issue with sway, often times someone will overload the rear of the trailer reducing the tongue weight and this causes sway.

A fifth wheel inherently has less sway, but as I stated they track wider, and backing in to tight spots can be easier, but there is a learning curve backing a 5th wheel as compared to a bumper mount, so don't think it as a slum dunk deal.

Hopefully you can find a happy medium without trading it off, but if you find something that sparks your interest, only you can make that decision.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #16

I also have a 30WRLS V lite, and I tow with an 06 Ram 1500 Quadcab shortbed hemi, with 17" tires and a 3:54 rear end-automatic trans. I tow mine with a Reese dual cam 1,000 lb. bars setup, and don't experience sway issues, since I installed LT rated tires, and helper springs. I do have pulling issues, though I know that the rear end gearing is the answer to that problem. My V lite is an 08, and I haven't had any problems with it, so far- except small stuff, easily repaired by me; fuses, etc.
I would also keep the V lite, I get a lot of comments about it, and love the space and storage it has. I don't have the Dodge length issues that some say that the ones like mine have. I pull at 60/65 mph- no swaying, pass semis with little trouble. Hint; if you crack open a window on each side slightly, it will balance the air inside, and greatly help the "vaccuum effect" that the semis cause. Good Luck with your decision! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #17

Actually I was wrong about the bars. I just went out and checked and I am using a 1000 lbs set of bars. I have two sets, one is 1000 lbs and one set is 1200 lbs. I have been using the 1000 lbs set. Would it be better to stay with the 1000 lbs set or change to the 1200 lbs set?

Thanks, Freddie

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 128
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #18

Actually, in my opinion either ones should work just fine, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the 1,000 lb. ones. Make sure when you tighten up the chains, that it actually lifts the rear end of the truck up some, to give the proper tension. My beginner mistake was thinking that the chains that pull the spring-loaded bars up to the trailer's frame were too tight- when in reality they were not tight enough! Once I figured out the proper tension, it pulled very well. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #19

My guess the #1000 bars will do the job, because you have both you can play around with it a bit, but with your truck it shouldn't matter
Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

SPEED. You mention sway starts around 55 or 60 mph. How fast do you plan on towing? If you have ST rated tires on your trailer, they are only rated at 65 mph. Also check all the tires for proper inflation, before each trip, and while still cold.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote