Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Heading for VA on Thursday. The fridge is stocked with Guiness draft and a 1.5 L bottle of Gentleman Jack is in the pantry.
There is a little known Virginia law that any liquor brought into the commonwealth has to be shared with a citizen of Virginia. I live in Ruckersville.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #22
Well, here is another little known Virginia law... In Norfolk, Virginia , it is illegal to tie, or park, a horse or mule outside a bar after closing times.

Must be true, I read it on the internet.... LOL!

flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #23
Cardinal 04 31LE
Word of advice for all! Always confirm you grabbed the diesel nozzle! I didn't last year on a trip home from Myrtle Beach and was stranded on 95N about 3 miles later! It was super hot and had to wait 3 hours to be towed! LESSON LEARNED, Not all diesel nozzles are GREEN. In fact at this particular station diesel was BLACK! Just the opposite of what I was accustomed to.

Also, I find reputable truck stops friendly and accomodating. I have to be careful to locate a smaller style nozzle and low volume pumps as my fill wont handle the large and high volume nozzles.

Happy Traveling...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #24
What's better. A 5th wheel or a Motor home ?
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
I have had 3 5th wheels and 3 motorhomes. Now have a motorhome because I quite work in Sep 2010 and plan to travel a lot. The 5th wheel was great because we used it as a cabin at the lake property then 3-4 times a year take a trip. Now we hope to travel a lot and go to our lake lot a bunch too. Just try to figure out what you want to do most. Just remember, "Above all have a good roof".
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #26
Couple of caps full of oil? That won't do much.

Put a whole quart in there. As long as it's clean it won't hurt a thing. You can use ATF, or clean engine oil. Even multi weights. Take it from someone who has burnt over a thousand gallons of Jet A over the years. I like to add a little oil if I am burning it straight.

That being said, out on the road, I will fuel up anywhere my truck and trailer will fit. I worry more about height that I do using the car lanes. Make sure the canopy over the pumps will clear the roof of your trailer.
1999 Ford Superduty F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.
B&W goosneck/companion hitch, Airlift 5000 airbags.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #27
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
"Cupfuls of 30W oil"? That one goes into the tip bag.

I always worry about being tired and grabbing the wrong handle. Especially at the stations that have a diesel nozzle on the same pump as the unleaded nozzle. I try to always look at the nozzle before I stick it into the tank and make sure its the big one.

Anyone ever use peanut oil in the diesel?
I just recycled a 5 gallon container of used turkey oil and had always wondered if I could have just burned it in the tank.
i haven't done that but have 5 gal here that i've been thinking of blending into my 40 gal tank 1 gal at a time. my only concern is the salt that may be in oil from frying the turkey. i have given thought to shaking up abt 10% water with it to disolve the salt then let the water settle out over a week or so. the salt will go out with the water. the removal of the water is the only problem i'm concerned abt. (we washed crude oil with water to remove the salt).

a couple of thought abt the stations, i haven't had a problem either except the common one of trying to pick out the diesel pump while pulling off the road.

on carrying extra diesel, i've wresled with this one. i'm afraid that i will know that i have that extra and push too far(looking to save that extra penny) then not be able to find diesel.

if ur new to diesel engines, follow the recomendatons for radiator maintaince closely. there is an addative that goes in there (sometimes contained in the antifreeze but u have to make sure) that stops or reduces cavitation within the engine cooling system. you can get a better answer than i can give on this from a diesel mechanic. cavatition is the producing of a bubble then it callopses. when it callopses, it sounds like gravel flowing and chipps metal. i never heard it on mine so it may not be that noticable. i have experienced the engine failoure from it (pin hole leak in the cyclender wall between combustion chamber and water jacket).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #28
I have seen the suggestion of hauling extra fuel in loose gas cans in the back of the truck. That is something I just wouldn't be comfortable with. Consider what happens if you're in an accident. Ever been near a diesel fire?
And putting in an auxiliary tank, don't forget that is a lot of extra weight to haul around.
I have never had much of an issue fueling up, but prefer the truck stops. Even when pulling our boat behind the 5th, which makes for a very long unit, it just takes a bit of scouting and care.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Husky stations in Canada use green nozzle covers on their "auto" island pumps. Not sure what the nozzle covers are @ their tractor trailer islands.
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky W/D hitch
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite
Nights camped 2010: 21
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #30
I don't usually bother looking for the colour of the pump handle. I find looking for the word "diesel" is much safer.

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel