Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Heading for VA on Thursday. The fridge is stocked with Guiness draft and a 1.5 L bottle of Gentleman Jack is in the pantry.
There is a little known Virginia law that any liquor brought into the commonwealth has to be shared with a citizen of Virginia. I live in Ruckersville.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #22

Well, here is another little known Virginia law... In Norfolk, Virginia , it is illegal to tie, or park, a horse or mule outside a bar after closing times.

Must be true, I read it on the internet.... LOL!
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #23
Cardinal 04 31LE

Word of advice for all! Always confirm you grabbed the diesel nozzle! I didn't last year on a trip home from Myrtle Beach and was stranded on 95N about 3 miles later! It was super hot and had to wait 3 hours to be towed! LESSON LEARNED, Not all diesel nozzles are GREEN. In fact at this particular station diesel was BLACK! Just the opposite of what I was accustomed to.

Also, I find reputable truck stops friendly and accomodating. I have to be careful to locate a smaller style nozzle and low volume pumps as my fill wont handle the large and high volume nozzles.

Happy Traveling...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #24

What's better. A 5th wheel or a Motor home ?
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #25

I have had 3 5th wheels and 3 motorhomes. Now have a motorhome because I quite work in Sep 2010 and plan to travel a lot. The 5th wheel was great because we used it as a cabin at the lake property then 3-4 times a year take a trip. Now we hope to travel a lot and go to our lake lot a bunch too. Just try to figure out what you want to do most. Just remember, "Above all have a good roof".
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #26

Couple of caps full of oil? That won't do much.

Put a whole quart in there. As long as it's clean it won't hurt a thing. You can use ATF, or clean engine oil. Even multi weights. Take it from someone who has burnt over a thousand gallons of Jet A over the years. I like to add a little oil if I am burning it straight.

That being said, out on the road, I will fuel up anywhere my truck and trailer will fit. I worry more about height that I do using the car lanes. Make sure the canopy over the pumps will clear the roof of your trailer.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
"Cupfuls of 30W oil"? That one goes into the tip bag.

I always worry about being tired and grabbing the wrong handle. Especially at the stations that have a diesel nozzle on the same pump as the unleaded nozzle. I try to always look at the nozzle before I stick it into the tank and make sure its the big one.

Anyone ever use peanut oil in the diesel?
I just recycled a 5 gallon container of used turkey oil and had always wondered if I could have just burned it in the tank.
i haven't done that but have 5 gal here that i've been thinking of blending into my 40 gal tank 1 gal at a time. my only concern is the salt that may be in oil from frying the turkey. i have given thought to shaking up abt 10% water with it to disolve the salt then let the water settle out over a week or so. the salt will go out with the water. the removal of the water is the only problem i'm concerned abt. (we washed crude oil with water to remove the salt).

a couple of thought abt the stations, i haven't had a problem either except the common one of trying to pick out the diesel pump while pulling off the road.

on carrying extra diesel, i've wresled with this one. i'm afraid that i will know that i have that extra and push too far(looking to save that extra penny) then not be able to find diesel.

if ur new to diesel engines, follow the recomendatons for radiator maintaince closely. there is an addative that goes in there (sometimes contained in the antifreeze but u have to make sure) that stops or reduces cavitation within the engine cooling system. you can get a better answer than i can give on this from a diesel mechanic. cavatition is the producing of a bubble then it callopses. when it callopses, it sounds like gravel flowing and chipps metal. i never heard it on mine so it may not be that noticable. i have experienced the engine failoure from it (pin hole leak in the cyclender wall between combustion chamber and water jacket).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #28

I have seen the suggestion of hauling extra fuel in loose gas cans in the back of the truck. That is something I just wouldn't be comfortable with. Consider what happens if you're in an accident. Ever been near a diesel fire?
And putting in an auxiliary tank, don't forget that is a lot of extra weight to haul around.
I have never had much of an issue fueling up, but prefer the truck stops. Even when pulling our boat behind the 5th, which makes for a very long unit, it just takes a bit of scouting and care.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Husky stations in Canada use green nozzle covers on their "auto" island pumps. Not sure what the nozzle covers are @ their tractor trailer islands.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #30

I don't usually bother looking for the colour of the pump handle. I find looking for the word "diesel" is much safer.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I don't usually bother looking for the colour of the pump handle. I find looking for the word "diesel" is much safer.
I'm the same way even though I'm not looking for diesel. I don't want to make the mistake & fill up my truck w/ premium when it doesn't need it.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #32

I did end up getting an auxiliary fuel tank after hauling around 5 gal. cans of extra diesel (I used one of those adjustable bars to hold the cans firmly against the front of the bed - worked fine).

Yes, there is extra weight but having up to a 700 mile range is a great incentive when I came into California and noticed a 75 cent difference in price per gallon over what I had just paid in Oregon. Now I can shop around a bit.

In Oregon (one of the two states where you cannot pump your own gas) I was told this rule does not apply to diesel since it is not "flammable." I know it is hard to light but it is not exactly water and once it does light it is hard to put out.

Any way, thanks to all who shared their wisdom on this.
poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Around these parts you don't have to bother looking for a color or the word diesel, it's simply the messy stinky one on the end by itself.

If we are going much further than a few hundred miles from home, I usually carry 10 gallons of extra fuel. I don't keep it in the back of my truck though. I lock it up in the forward storage compartment of our trailer. I have a box that fits between the battery boxes which holds them fairly tight. It's also in a more temperature stable environment then sitting out in the sun of a static laden pickup bed.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #34

i usually look for the pump with the most cars lined up to use. seems that diesel pumps attract people with gasoline engines. one dealer in NE louisiana solved this problem by putting diesel on every pump. needlessly to say, he sells a lot of gasoline.
truck stops like to put the small nozzle lower pressure diesel pump next to the building. that makes it convinent as a place to park and go get a bag of chips.
they are used like handicap spots: it's ok if ur just going in for a minute. or leave someone in the viehicle in case a handicap person comes around and wants the space.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #35

I bought a tool box with a 60 gallon fuel tank under it from Northern Tool. I think it was $549.00. Paid another $50.00 I think for the kit that allows you to cut the rubber fill tube and add the 'Tee' that allows the fuel to drain into the truck tank. (Mine is the short bed, six and a half foot bed, if I had the eight foot bed I could have gotten the 90 gallon tank.)
The thing fits flush under the tonneau cover so it is not seen. Make sure to run a vent line. Mine runs along the side of the bed toward the rear. (There is a fitting for the vent at the top of the tank.
So when going on long trips I just find which state has the best price on fuel and fill up there. (60 gallons in the tank and 26 in the truck.) On a FL trip you are looking at up to $25.00 per fill by not getting it in FL.
Will it take a long time to pay for the tank...yep...but the satisfaction of not paying for overpriced fuel is priceless! And it's nice to not have to fill up every day!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #36

I'd get sticker shock trying to fill up 90 gallons of fuel all at once.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I'd get sticker shock trying to fill up 90 gallons of fuel all at once.
Sticker shock hell, I coldnt afford it up here

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #38

If I filled them up in SC right now at $2.71 for 80 gallons it would be $216.80. In FL at $3.05 it would be $244.00, a savings of $27.20! And I am going to use that fuel!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel