Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

Thoughts on the new Vibe Extreme Lites?

Hi all,

I've been lurking the forums for a while but just joined after seeing the Vibe 268RKS at the Boston show this past weekend. I gather that this is a new line (but there was another that was called Vibe - just not Extreme Lite?) but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on it.

We are coming from a Class C so we've RV'd but never trailered. We must be a niche demographic because we are really only interested in the 26X and 27X models of most brands and there just aren't that many of them. At the Boston show we saw two - yes two - that were of this ilk.

Anyway, we fell in love with the Vibe and it was really hard not to make a deal right there and then but I know that show deals are really not that special and I wanted to percolate on it a bit - and see if I could get any feedback on the units here.

I would be towing with an F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow. I'm pretty certain I'm within all my weight limits but I'm always willing to be re-educated.

Thanks for any comments or insight into this possible purchase.

Tom

Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

This morning we set out to shop for a new trailer, concentrating on Denali & Keystone Outback's. Stumbled on the VIBE 268RKS and were so impressed we purchased one. It's smaller than what we were focusing on (Outback 326RL) once on the dealer lot, but not only was the OB 10k more but we would need to store it. Loved the layout of the VIBE. Kitchen on the end was perfect with lots of counter space & storage. Limited storage in the bedroom but we travel light. Lots of exterior storage, especially the large pass through compartment up front and a cool outdoor kitchen complete with a second refer.

We will be on the road for a month next week (after the Hawks kick booty) and will let ya' know how the 268 performs.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely interested in hearing how it goes.

All shopping has been put on hold here due to the blizzard. Luckily, the Pats got out of town in time so they will be fully prepared to dish out even more booty kicking!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

I considered one heavily, but ended up going with another Puma. I tow with a ProPride that I'm pretty set on using and the nose design wouldn't work with it. The price was REALLY good on the Vibes, too. I recommend you check with RVWholesalers. I've purchased 3 campers in the last 3.5 years from them and have been very pleased with their prices and service. You will have no problem towing one with your EB. I have one and it does a fantastic job. I recommend getting an Equalizer 4 point hitch. I've used them in the past and they work very well for a friction based system.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I I recommend you check with RVWholesalers. I've purchased 3 campers in the last 3.5 years from them and have been very pleased with their prices and service.
I called them but I'm concerned with buying from a non-local dealer. These forums are full of posts about not being able to get (timely) warranty service from a dealer you didn't buy from.

Quote:
I recommend getting an Equalizer 4 point hitch. I've used them in the past and they work very well for a friction based system.
I was actually looking at the Andersen hitch. Lots of glowing reviews, lightweight, quiet. I guess there is some concern that it can't put 100% of the weight back on the front axle on "heavier" trailers but I don't know at what weight level that becomes a factor.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
I called them but I'm concerned with buying from a non-local dealer. These forums are full of posts about not being able to get (timely) warranty service from a dealer you didn't buy from.

I was actually looking at the Andersen hitch. Lots of glowing reviews, lightweight, quiet. I guess there is some concern that it can't put 100% of the weight back on the front axle on "heavier" trailers but I don't know at what weight level that becomes a factor.
I was very leery of purchasing from them the 1st time as well. I am almost exactly 1000 miles away. After reading the horror stories of people attempting to get things fixed at a local dealer they purchased from I don't see how I could lose. I have always gotten great service, but all of the things I've had to do were small and I do the labor. The way I look at it is this: I saved a few thousand dollars by purchasing from RVW. Even if I had NO service (which isn't the case) I could pay out of pocket for a LOT of repairs before I went in the hole going with RVW. Pretty much the only thing I'd trust a local dealer with would be a basic repair anyway(read as cheap and I can do it). Some type of major structural issue would definitely be going back to the manufacturer. So for me to buy local, I looked at it as I'm going to pay a lot of extra money for service I might not even get or need. No thanks. I'll take the savings.

As far as the Anderson hitch goes- I would definitely give that a try on anything with a tongue weight less than ~600 pounds. Anything over that and I'm going with an Equalizer. I'm not a physics expert or an engineer, but even I know that it is much easier to transfer weight by pulling up on a bar ~30" behind the ball than it is pulling back on a point ~8" below the ball.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #7

New Vibe

Neighbor had one with a F150 EB. Couldn't seem to get the WDH and sway set up correctly. It spooked his DW so much as they said it was all over the road. He gave up and sold the Vibe back to the dealer at a big loss. Getting the wdh/sway set up is more of a challenge due to the V nose and short A Frame. Dealer states some wdh won't fit up correctly on the V Nose style. Make sure you get the right set up. He gave up too soon.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #8

Yikes!

I'm a total n00b when it comes to WDHs. What is it about the Vibe that make some not fit?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #9

Vibe and WDH

The exposed tongue or what you might call a A frame on a Vibe with the V Shaped front cap is not as deep as a TT with a typical front cap. Many tongues are 3 or so feet in length before the TT shell begins...usually where the battery and LPG tanks are located. The Vibe has it battery and LPG tanks enclosed in the TT shell. That's a nice feature, but it reduces the tongue length to much less than the normal 3 ft. That limits what WDH styles can fit that small length of tongue available. This is what the dealer explained.

Best bet is to make sure the Dealer has the right WDH/Sway for that style TT. Let them install and verify it works as expected.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #10

I looked one over pretty closely and I think you can use an Equalizer 4 point with it. You might have to place the bar mounts slightly farther forward on the A frame than is optimal, but I don't think it would be by much. Equalizer even states this is acceptable, you just lose some of the leverage of the bars.

Tags
vibe