Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Tire Clearance

For those of you that have a Rockwood Windjammer 3008W or the Flagstaff equivalent, how much clearance do you have in the wheel well from the top of the tire to the wheel well. When putting on a wheel cover I noticed it was much closer than I would have expected.
hehbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #2

I noticed the same thing with our 2304 Mini Lite after the optional 14" wheels were installed. There is about 2" clearance from the tires to the wheel well tubs. I asked the dealer about it and they weren't too overly concerned. So for our next outing I applied white paint to the tires tread to see if there was any transfer to the wheel wells. After a short drive down a moderately rough road there was no contact between the tires and the wheel wells as evidenced no colour transfer. So the rubber suspension must work as advertised.
I would like to go to 15" wheels to have a better selection of tires and to get a bit more clearance for the sewer connections, but with only 3" of separation between the tandum wheel tire combo and the limited space above the tires I can't see how to go to a larger wheel size. The tt currently has 205 x 14R's installed.
Anyway, our tires haven't hit the tubs yet and we have hit some substantial pot holes.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote