Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 01:19 AM   #1
Full-time 5'er

Tire Pressure Monitors

I am shopping for an after-market tire pressure monitoring system. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best to buy. I am researching brands, options, prices, and features. I have a 3-axel 2016 XLR 375 AMP Thunderbolt. I need a 6-tire monitoring system. My 2017 Ford F350 dually already has an onboard monitoring system for its' six tires. In looking at the TIREMINDER and TST brands, I see prices ranging from $125 to $500. It's difficult to understand the difference in models and prices. I do not understand what no flow through transmitters are vs. flow through transmitters.
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:28 AM   #2

Tire Pressure Monitors

Flow through means the sensor is screwed onto the valve stem the same as the non flow through is. The difference is you can add air directly to the valve(schrader ) on the flow through. The non flow through must be removed from the valve stem to add air to the tire. You need/should have medal valve stems for the flow through. They both work the same. I have the TST 507 with the color monitor, I’m very happy with that one . One of the forum members works at TST and is extremely approachable for any info you may like. Good videos on you tube as well.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #3

We also have the TST 507 system but with the older black and white monitor. I have had the system for about four years now and we love it. We have went on a two month trip to the grand canyon and then a 4 month trip that covered about 17 states. The TST system has been great in letting us know the tire pressure as well as the temperature of all of the tires. I have the non-flow through sensors on both the 5th wheel and my TV. The system has alerted me on several occasions of tires going flat in time for me to find a safe location to pull over and fix the problem. I have had to replace the batteries in most of the sensors at least once and that was no problem either. I will never go anywhere without my TST system. I usually turn the system on the night before we are to leave our location and this way I am updated that all tires are ok or if I need to add air to any of the my tires. I also purchased the extender because my 5th wheel is almost 39' long so I sometimes had problems with signals but after installing the extended no more problems with loosing signals. Hope this helps with your decision. My 5th wheel also came with the Westlake tires (China bombs) but I still have the original set of tires on my 5th wheel after 4 years of camping. It is my humble opinion that the TST system has helped me to maintain these tires longer than normal for these tires. I will be getting a new set of tires soon because the tread on my set is getting low but I will always have the TST sensors on my tires wherever I go.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #4

Someone will (please) correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't the "New" TST package now include the repeater/extender?? .....
Old 05-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Someone will (please) correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't the "New" TST package now include the repeater/extender?? .....
Yes

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes it does. Cant beat the TST for function, ease of programming, and support. I’m sure Mike B. (TST rep) Will be along shortly to answer any questions.
I am running the TST system with 10 cap style sensors, color monitor, and repeater. Not one issue with the system.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Think of non-flow through sensors as a 'cap' on the valve stem that needs to be removed to add air to the tire.

Flow-through have the ability to add air without removing the entire sensor.

Adding air with either sensor isn't an issue at all.

As mentioned, the non-flow through sensors are slightly smaller and less weight and can be used with rubber valve stems.

Flow-through are a little bigger, stick out on the valve stem farther and require metal stems.

Both sensors work exactly the same as far as monitoring pressure and temps and both have anti-theft devices built into/onto them and the anti-theft part can be removed. (which many of us do whom are not concerned with theft)

On top of the things already mentioned about the color monitor... the color has the ability to store several banks of sensors. So, If you have three different trailers you pull, you can purchase additional sensors and then program the specific trailer's sensors into a pre-set bank and switch/recall whichever set necessary when connected to that trailer.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #8

I have a TST and wouldn't be without it. I did agonize about flow through or non and decided on the non flow through. It was the right decision. You have to remember that most of the time you needed to get to the schrader valves was to check pressure, not add or release air on a cold start. With a TPMS you don't need to do that as it will tell you where you stand. The only time you need to remove them is to add or remove air...and that may happen 2 or 3 times a year or when going from very warm ambient to cold on a north south trip in the winter.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The TST system is a good system. What I like is the peace of mind that I don't have to be constantly watching my mirrors for a shredded tire.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #10

I use the Tireminder A1A. I chose the non-flow-through transmitters. Mainly, because after a lot of research on all of the brands, the flow-through models have slightly more issues than the non-flow-through. Not a huge difference, but a difference none the less. It also comes with the repeater, which is very easy to install.

I did have an issue with the base unit. I pulled out the antenna for a trip, and the antenna came right out of the unit. I stuffed the antenna back in, and it still worked for the trip (I tested it by removing a transmitter from one of the tires). After I got home, I contacted Tireminder, who said to send it in and they would repair it. I sent it in and about 10 days later received by repaired unit back. I knew it was mine, because I didn't have to set it up again.

It works very well. I know two other people, who also chose the A1A and they both like it. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask here or PM me.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #11

A TPMS is a good idea and a must have item for any RV'er wanting piece of mine, but.... don't get to comfortable with it and think it's the answer to catastrophic tire failure, it's not. From personal experience last weekend, I know first hand.

Without any warning a tire exploded on our 5th wheel. About 2 seconds later the TPMS went off telling us which tire it was. The following day this repeated itself. Both catastrophic failures happen without warning and resulted in complete tread separation from the case. Tires were Constancy made in the fall of 2014 with about 5000 miles on them inflated to the max pressure on the tire. Trailer was about 2000 pounds below Gross weight.

The next day after arriving home and inspecting the tires, found a tire with a 2" bulge on the inside. Needless to say a set of Goodyear Endurance will be installed on Saturday.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
Truck System Technologies Rep

Hello BBQGUY,

I am sorry to hear this Ihope no one was hurt. What TPMS were you using?

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
A TPMS is a go d idea and a must have item for any RV'er wanting piece of mine, but.... don't get to comfortable with it and think it's the answer to catastrophic tire failure, it's not. From personal experience last weekend, I know first hand.

Without any warning a tire exploded on our 5th wheel. About 2 seconds later the TPMS went off telling us which tire it was. The following day this repeated itself. Both catastrophic failures happen without warning and resulted in complete tread separation from the case. Tires were Constancy made in the fall of 2014 with about 5000 miles on them inflated to the max pressure on the tire. Trailer was about 2000 pounds below Gross weight.

The next day after arriving home and inspecting the tires, found a tire with a 2" bulge on the inside. Needless to say a set of Goodyear Endurance will be installed on Saturday.
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #13

TST TPMS

Yes Sir, it does include the repeater, new color or mono-chromatic display, 3 year warranty, tech support available 6 days a week.

Feel free to contact me anytime at 210-420-0132 with any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132

Quote:
Old 05-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #14

Thank you!!

Thank you ALL for the great TST comments! We truly appreciate all our FROGS!!!

Have a Great Weekend!

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
I did have an issue with the base unit. I pulled out the antenna for a trip, and the antenna came right out of the unit. I stuffed the antenna back in, and it still worked for the trip (I tested it by removing a transmitter from one of the tires). After I got home, I contacted Tireminder, who said to send it in and they would repair it. I sent it in and about 10 days later received by repaired unit back.
I've used both the Tireminder and TST units. Both work well, and are about the same to setup. I used the non flow-thru on both.

Personally, I like the new TST with the color monitor over the Tireminder. I was worried about the antenna on the Tireminder - either that I would break the rather thin wire or do some other damage to it either while using or storing the monitor. The TST antenna seems to be nearly indestructible.

The TST repeater may or may not be needed. I did install mine downstream of my battery cut-off switch and the repeater is mounted on my tongue jack. I use the red "I'm On" light as a reminder to kill the battery when the trailer goes into storage.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #16

Mike,
Using EezTire TPMS.
No one was hurt either time, but some damage to the trailer on both sides.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #17

I had the tire minder and just upgraded to the TST507. I just didn't like the tire minder. I thought it would be better on the phone to reduce dash clutter but I was wrong. I do have a question about the TST. I noticed the pressure and temps indicate with the trailer parked in he driveway. Are the sensors transmitting all the time? I think the Tire Minder only transmitted when the tires were rotating.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Been very happy with our tire minder for the last several years. It does its things and hangs out on the dash. I've needed to replace one sensor after it failed. Been 5 years so I think I am doing well.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Thank you ALL for the great TST comments! We truly appreciate all our FROGS!!!

Have a Great Weekend!

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
Hey Mike B.
I understand the TST system requires metal valve stems. Does the Tire Minder system also have this requirement? What if I don't have rubber stems? What's the purpose of this requirement?
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

The tireminder does not require the metal stems. But seeing the flex I get on the rubber stems I changed to the metal.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire