Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #21
clr

I would strongly suggest that you do some research on your current OEM tires to determine there speed rating. Many ST type tires are only rated for 65MPH max, some of the newer ones are somewhat higher. But if you do suffer from lead foot problems you need to KNOW the maximum speed rating of your trailer tires.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:24 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinwrench View Post
I'm not buying a tpms, I check my tire pressure before each trip.

Mine are load range D 2540 lbs. switching to E is 2830 lbs. I don't my what my rims are rated at, I'm going to guess D. Hitch weight is 1580 lbs. I'm just going to run these tires.

A quick search for " TPMS saved me" might change your mind. The concern is not running tires low from the departure, but from blindly driving with a tire that has gone bad while driving. The damage caused by a blown tire is generally 3-5 times the cost of a monitor.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
A quick search for " TPMS saved me" might change your mind. The concern is not running tires low from the departure, but from blindly driving with a tire that has gone bad while driving. The damage caused by a blown tire is generally 3-5 times the cost of a monitor.

What brand did you buy
smokinwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdeep View Post
Keep them inflated to max PSI and run 60-62mph and you won't have an issue.

That is simply not a true statement. You can't say if he will or won't have a problem. Many folks have had problems even doing what they were supposed to do.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #25

Trailer came with "Blow Maxes" new. Never even took them for a ride. I replaced them with Michelin XPS load range E's right off. The are a truck tire. Probably weighed 40 more pounds each than the BM's. They are 2 steel belts tread, and 1 steel belt sidewall. When you pay a fortune for a rig, no point skimping on the tires. I always hate having problems on the road, and those cheap Chinese tires are a problem that will happen at the most inopportune time.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
What brand did you buy
TST507 for current TT. Has 510 on previous TT.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Trailer came with "Blow Maxes" new. Never even took them for a ride. I replaced them with Michelin XPS load range E's right off. The are a truck tire. Probably weighed 40 more pounds each than the BM's. They are 2 steel belts tread, and 1 steel belt sidewall. When you pay a fortune for a rig, no point skimping on the tires. I always hate having problems on the road, and those cheap Chinese tires are a problem that will happen at the most inopportune time.

Agree.

I towed my new (then) camper home from the dealership and replaced mine before I took it anywhere else. I used Duravis R250 tires. Similar to the Ribs you have I believe.

That is one thing I no longer concern myself about!
Old 03-31-2017, 06:28 PM   #28

I am not a tire or any other kind of expert but there are no quarantees on anything. If TPMS were not a good idea why is it mandated on EVERY new car -- it is called SAFETY (thanks for Ford Explorers). TPMS is not a guarantee but sure provides peace of mind and increases odds of early warning to avoid damage as does a good set of KNOWN quality tires. I think it is generally accepted that the KNOWN part is what you do not get with the chinese tires due to poor quality assurance processes. I had 2 different blowouts with 1 year old original tires and after buying new tires one failure(separation) and loss of pressure with a 1 year old GY Marathon. And yes I check pressure, avoid pot holes as best you can, do not over load, store on concrete with moisture barrier, stay under 65, cover tires ETC ETC ETC. Would you buy tires made in India? Same thing.

SMOKINWRENCH I would not run those tires and I would definitely buy a TPMS as well as monitor bearing temps either by touch or meter. Just good practices. Watch the highways on a busy rv weekend and see how many trailers you see on the side of the road with blowouts.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Got my new Rockwood 8291, dry weight around 8,700 lbs. was told tires that come on new campers are minimal at best. I have had 2 people tell me to buy new tires now because they both had blow out's that cost them about $1,200 in repairs. Has anyone else had this experience? I hate to buy new tires for my new camper that has new tires

I wanted to relate an experience where a TPMS probably saved my life.
It was not pulling my camper or was it my TV (which has a TPMS) but was on my BMW Motorcycle.

I have an instrument cluster that can be programed with 3-different instrumentation configurations simultaneously. One of the constant readings is both tire pressures. I was running at interstate speeds and looked at my cluster to find that my rear tire had gone from 42psi to 40. then in less than 60 seconds went to 38. i began looking for an exit as i was on the west side of Houston on I-10. then 35 then 33. i found an exit and by the time i was able to stop at a good location i was at 25PSI. Had i not seen this information it would have undoubtedly been dangerous if not deadly. FYI a piece of drill bit had punctured my rear tire.

I have a late model Rockwood 8289ws and i am pleased that i have quality tires on it. I'm in the process of determining which TPMS to install.
One that works well but doesn't break the bank. :-)

Hope this helps some make their decisions.
Appreciate the forum & its ability to give real-time experiences.
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
I have 25k on my china bomb constancy which was stock on RW 2608ws. It came with a C load. Looking for a D before my Alaska trip this summer. Unfortunately no Maaxis in a D in 14's. So I think Kenda Karrier is what I'm going with. I would never travel w/o a TPMS. Only 1 flat in 25k which was a screw which obviously can't fault the tire
I've had the Kenda tires on my last 2 trailers, 12 ply load range D and I've NEVER had any problems. Amazingly these tires hold air pressure like no other tire I've ever had. The China Bombs that came with the trailers I had to add air before each trip.

By the way, I agree, I would never think about towing without my TPMS 507. The OP is reluctant to buy one but it pays for itself the first time it warns you of a problem.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #31

original tires

We are on our 7th RV. I have never had a flat.
Make sure you have the proper tire pressure as soft tires will heat up and blow out.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #32

Speed ratings

I've had multiple blowouts on trailers over the years. Often you don't know about it until someone pulls up beside you and honks at you. My boat trailer has plastic fenders which cost twice what the tire costs to replace, and I've had to replace the left one twice.

I bought Speed rating M (81 mph) taskmaster tires from etrailer for all 3 of my trailers, and haven't had a flat since. For me to go a year without a blowout on a trailer was unusual in the past. The old tires that were rated for 65 mph would blow up at 65 mph on a hot day. I also believe it is worth the price to upgrade the load range. On a rough road, the load on trailers is much higher. In the Forest Service, we would double the axle rating for gravel and dirt road use. If you do have a flat or a blowout, the remaining tire will be over loaded for a while, which can cause damage. My two blowouts on my Roof didn't cause any damage, but I may have been just lucky. I carry two spares now, because my boat and trailer tires are the same size.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #33
Canadian Member

Quote:
I have a lead foot disease, only time I'll see 60mph is coming into town and leaving town
What's your hurry?! Time to find a cure while towing.

If you insist on driving 70+ mph on ST tires I recommend that you change out the factory tires for something with a good reputation, maybe even an LT tire, and get the TPMS. Your F-250 is a very competent TV for your trailer but if you push the trailer too hard and have blow out ... remember your kids are on board.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #34

Interstate Speeds

I get that a lot of folks don't live near interstates, but out here in the wild west, it is hard to get out of town without taking the interstate. Driving 60 or 65 not only slows down traffic, but it tends to cause accidents. As a graduate transportation engineer, the proffessor stressed that it was the speed differentials that cause accidents. That is one good reason for traffic cops enforcing speed limits. I've been pulling trailers at 75 mph for years, and had lots of blowouts, but that is just crummy tires. You'll notice you don't have blowouts on your TV very often anymore. I usually wear out a set of tires without a flat with my car and truck tires. They are carrying a much higher load than my trailer. Now that ST tires have higher speed ratings, most of those issues should be in the past. Trailer manufacturers do the minimum, as anyone who reads this forum will quickly see.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I get that a lot of folks don't live near interstates, but out here in the wild west, it is hard to get out of town without taking the interstate. Driving 60 or 65 not only slows down traffic, but it tends to cause accidents. As a graduate transportation engineer, the proffessor stressed that it was the speed differentials that cause accidents. That is one good reason for traffic cops enforcing speed limits. I've been pulling trailers at 75 mph for years, and had lots of blowouts, but that is just crummy tires. You'll notice you don't have blowouts on your TV very often anymore. I usually wear out a set of tires without a flat with my car and truck tires. They are carrying a much higher load than my trailer. Now that ST tires have higher speed ratings, most of those issues should be in the past. Trailer manufacturers do the minimum, as anyone who reads this forum will quickly see.

There are just some folks that think driving over 60mph is a death wish and that you will kill babies, puppies and unicorns.

The blathering on is about as tiresome as the weight police. Anyone who dissents is labeled a troublemaker.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #36

Here is more fuel for the confusion-IMHO the manufacturers put the lowest duty tire available on new units. Maybe they are crap, I do not know. Ours were subjected to abuse before we purchased but were meticulously maintained after purchase to when we had a catastrophic failure. I avoided bigger problems because our trailer has outrigger axles and I could see the tire in my rear view mirror. If I had a trailer with the wheels tucked under I would have TPMS.
Check out more info here:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, tire, tires