Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #1

Question Torn between two models.

First, this is not a dating question. We sold our Coleman Monteray three years ago and after the first two years we missed camping deeply. For the past year we have been researching new campers. We use a 2005 4*2 Nissan Frontier to pull and narrowed our search to two models. We love both models for different reasons. I am really looking for the true campers opinion. We averaged 50-75 camping days a year, due to the plethora of nice campgrounds within 100 miles. We have already begun planning trips to Disney World and the Black Hills for next year. We just need to decide on the camper. So bottom line, do we go with the Surveyor SV-264 or the Spree 289 KS w/ramp. I can't say that I will go with the overall pick but I am interested in new feedback.
go4maroon&gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am not familiar with the Spree, but we have the sister ship to the SV 264.....the SV 263. That would be a lot of camper for a Frontier, especially with the long distances and mountains in your travel plans. Overall, the SV 264 is about 29 foot long, and the tow vehicle wheelbase should be in the 145" (mimimum) area.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #3

That's kind of what I figured. The dealer assures me it will be no problem because I do have the redisgned 05 midsize Frontier. The truck's wheelbase is 125.9 in (3.20 m) with a 205.5 in (5.22 m) overall length. Towing capacity is 6500 lb (2,950 kg). The engine is a 4.0 V6, it produces a respectable 265 hp with 284 ft/lbs of torque. Also with whatever TT we get we would be adding a weight distribution hitch with sway control. I do worry that the TT will be longer then the TV.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, we live in MN also. We pull a Surveyor 235RKS with our F150; often out through the Black Hills and out into the Big Horns, Rockies, Glacier, etc. You will NOT be happy trying to pull a 264 (about the same weight as 235 but 3 feet longer) with a 4.0 L V-6. The wind towing out West is a killer and the hills are challenging. IMO, you need to think about a much smaller trailer or change your tow vehicle.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #5

Looks like we are going back to the drawing board, most likely expandable. I never thought of wheel base just tow weight and tongue weight. Really glad this resource is out here and that so many of you are willing to share opinions.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I am glad acadianbob chimed in to give his similar trailer experience towing in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4maroon&gold View Post
The dealer assures me it will be no problem because I do have the redisgned 05 midsize Frontier.
Dealers are out to sell trailers, and most will tell you anything to do that. If you find a dealer that says that might not be the best combination, then that is the dealer to talk to.

Quote:
The truck's wheelbase is 125.9 in (3.20 m) with a 205.5 in (5.22 m) overall length.
With that wheelbase you shouldn't be towing over about a 25 footer, overall.

Quote:
Towing capacity is 6500 lb (2,950 kg). The engine is a 4.0 V6, it produces a respectable 265 hp with 284 ft/lbs of torque.
The V6 is going to struggle in some in the mountains. My SV 263 loaded for camping is right around 5500 lbs, so the tow capacity of your Frontier should be OK as far as that figure, but too many other factors weight against that.

Quote:
Also with whatever TT we get we would be adding a weight distribution hitch with sway control. I do worry that the TT will be longer then the TV.
Agreed with a WDH. As for the trailer being longer than your TV, most rigs out there are just that. If you stay within a certain formula (wheelbase of the TV in inches divided by 5 = overall trailer length in feet) then you should be OK with a full sized vehicle, and maybe allow some for a mid-sized vehicle.

Good Luck, and keep us posted. You have made a good decision by asking here before you take the plunge.......too many people do the opposite.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #7

Alright, I have completely heeded your advice and will not be getting the 264. New question, I love the surveyors and I am intrigued by the sv235rks. If I am at a rest area is the KS strong enough to support my wife and I (500-600 lbs) without being slid out?

Tags
camper, surveyor