Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #61

This is what I use:
TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the socket set I use:
Neiko 02281B 1/2" Drive Flip Impact Socket for Wheel Lug Nut Service, Cr-Mo Steel, SAE and Metric | 4-Piece Set
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
I made the mistake of assuming that my 4 way lug wrench would work on my truck and trailer, wrong!

So I have a 1/2" tongue went just for the trailer.

I have aftermarket wheels on my truck and aluminum wheels on the RV. I have to carry a thin wall socket and breaker bar if I ever want to get those lug nuts off. And of course, the truck and RV are different sizes. Four-way won’t fit either vehicle. I also have a utility trailer with those cheap white spoke wheels. The four-way does fit them. So I have all the standard stuff, plus two sockets, an extension, 1/2” breaker bar, and a four in the back of the truck.
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #63

I carry a set of FLIP sockets in my truck similar to this set pictured below... they fit all my wheels... add a 25" breaker bar and maybe a torque wrench and you should have it covered... socket set is less then $30
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	socketset.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	185052  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
After a round of pop corn! My .02 cents is, it use my 30 year old Craftsman to insure a near consistency in torque on the lug nuts on both the tt and tv. Do check both while on road especially if tire has been off for bearing work or rotation on tv. Do not really care if the torque is 95 or 110 pounds as long as all the lugs are nearly the same.
Consistency is the name of the game for lug nuts. As long as all are tight and close to the same torque, you're good. I've used HF torque wrenches for years without issues, and that includes engine heads, transmission pans, main bearing caps etc. Never had a failure due to improper torque. For use on lug nuts, they are great. Thinking of buying one to carry in my fifth wheel. I also use anti-seize, but we've had that discussion a number of times elsewhere. On that regard to each his own. The amount of twist in an extension is so miniscule as far as a torque spec is concerned, you won't even need to consider it, (unless you're using a 1/4 inch drive for lug nuts). Again it's about consistency. 98 foot pounds versus 104 foot pounds isn't going to change anything in regard to lug nuts as long as all are there. Much of it has more to do with the stress on alloy wheels than anything else. I never worried about it in the past when I had steel wheels. Most failures occur due to lack of maintenance more than improper torque. Many people have a "check it once every couple of years whether it needs it or not" attitude, and most of the time that is the ultimate cause of failure.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #65

X2!